BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

So, the current 3.0 program stipulates that Daytime Programs are not eligible. But I haven't seen the 4.0 program state that. In fact, they said the new program, effective in 2025, will expand the types of programming genres that would be eligible. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

While this is obviously an overgeneralization, it is an interesting corollary that black and gay audiences continue to watch daytime, despite a lack of representation.  Perhaps both groups find solace in characters that are coded for representation.  But, it has always been a sore point for me that my viewership is not valued or respected, despite the fact that I buy as much dishsoap as a 25-49 year old white lady. 

Edited by j swift

• Members
Posted (edited)

There was a podcast a few years back that talked about how many black audiences (particularly older ones) loved watching white folks act a fool on soaps because it gave them the thrill of watching the truth be exposed in the way only the intimacy and domesticity of serialized drama could really put across—they weren’t more “civilized” and “well-behaved.” And they preferred NOT to see black people involved in such scandalous stories because it appeared to confirm tawdry stereotypes.

However, I feel like that has shifted over the generations.

I do wonder how much LGBTQIA+ representation this will have. Tyler Perry has “embraced” it in his typically unseedy way.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'm less concerned about representation within the show, because the NAACP support guarantees diversity.

But, what I will be interested in is P&G's involvement.  Will they feature Black couples in household product commercials (as consumers and not grocery workers or maids)?  Will they feature hair and skin products developed for Black families?  Will they seek and be satisfied if ratings reflect an increase in Black households over White households?

When I spoke initially of the lack of value and respect paid to LGBTQ and Black audiences, I meant in the financial gain, not just representation.  It is nice if Black actors, writers, and below the line people get jobs.  But, I feel like progress will be seen when companies like P&G market their products directly to that audience and respect the idea that every dollar spent is valuable, not just when 25–49 year old White women go grocery shopping.

Edited by j swift

• Members

If a family acquired their wealth through haircare products, P&G can provide a wealth of information for the soap to draw on as their recent acquisition of Mielle (which was controversial but did not generate as much anger toward the founder as the acquisition of Carol’s Daughter by L’Oreal years ago) can illustrate.

https://us.pg.com/blogs/black-history-month-2023-innovators-series/

If there isn’t direct product placement in the actual show, expect to see some sort of tie-in, either digitally or magazine, etc. to the daytime soap.

• Members

I can only imagine the firestorm of controversy that would be ignited daily if they're a family rich off of haircare, which might not be so such a bad thing for viewership. They could have entire plots about protective styles, lacefronts, natural haircare. We'd have furious debates within the show about the big chop vs. another silk press while every actress will likely be wearing a wig anyway (as is becoming the norm across all of TV, regardless of color).

Listen, as long as it's not pancake mix, rice or ice cream I think I'll be happy.

• Members

Lord don’t ask me why, but this just gave me a bad flashback to Darius McCrary’s Malcolm do nothing on Y&R except making his famous sandwiches all the time for months.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members
Posted (edited)

I hope that the discussion of P&G products doesn't dilute my point. 

If CBS creates a soap centered on Black characters, but still measures its success in terms of how many White women within the 25-49-year-old demographic tune in, then no real progress will have been made.  Because that would demonstrate that they still only value and respect the purchasing power of that audience. 

While one assumes that the ratings will be measured and reported similarly to any soap.  It will be instructive to watch how CBS markets the results of the audience it is trying to reach.  In other words, Y&R is still marketed as the most watched soap in daytime.  However, wouldn't it be refreshing if The Gates is promoted as having the largest audience of Black women in daytime, whose buying power has led to x amount of profit for P&G?

Edited by j swift