BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Guiding Light was the unfortunate guinea pig, as they tried to produce a soap on a shoestring budget. DAYS has had no money since 2009, yet here they are still chugging along and they're staying inside the studio. Nowadays, the Peapack style of shooting could be done on an iPhone camera, and you'd probably get better audio at this point too. Not that they should go that route, but it could be done cheaply without it looking cheap. 

• Members

I only saw a little of GL during the Peapack days, and it was quite shaky. That being said, technology has come a long way since then, and I think a new soap would be improved greatly and more modern with more on location shooting. TV movies, such as those on Lifetime, Hallmark are shot on a shoe string budget, but there's a ton of on location shooting. Maybe if the show is shot in Atlanta it will lend it to more of that.

• Members

If I recall correctly Wheeler was trying to emulate The Hills with the outdoor and handheld filming on Guiding Light.

If Atlanta is the filming location it's possible that Tyler Perry Studios would be production where the show was shot. There is a ton of space there because his shows are the few where I've seen almost every character have their own places and workplaces. A big gripe of soaps is that a lot of characters are crammed into the mansions of the main families or at the town hotel. I could see Tyler charging the show reasonably for use of the soundstages because he is supportive of Black causes and for the credit of "filmed at Tyler Perry Studios".

• Members

True. I can even remember watching some early-mid  80s soaps that had some flimsy sets (walls that shook when an actor slammed a door) but you didn’t care because everything else you were seeing was so compelling.

Ha! Yes though, truly good writing is the #1 priority. Without this, nothing else works, no matter how high the production values climb.

• Members

Well, BITD some writers at least, were this genre's auteurs. I think probably one of the egregious errors was when more & more creative control was wrested away from the writers & in its place was exec power instead. And I realize that even Irna Phillips & Doris Hursley complained of network interference, even that far back. 

• Members

There's one other wealth-creating aspect that this show might use to explain this family's fame and fortune, even moreso if it's in ATL. Personally, I don't like this idea because it would seem much too copycatted: EMPIRE!!!! I don't think I need to elaborate.

• Members

I have no doubt the writing will be good simply for the fact that Black people have to work three times as hard as others just to get an opportunity and most are aware of that. Michele Val Jean probably didn't write present anything that she didn't recalibrate over and over (meaning synopsis, logline).