BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Generations was just a showcase for how Sally Sussman Morina’s ambitions just couldn’t make up for her innate lack of storytelling talent. Representation aside, that show was very flawed.  

Oddly, it only seemed to get moving a bit when former AMC EP Jorn Winther was hired to come on board, but it was too little, too late by that point. 

• Members

I remember when people were shocked that SSM was succeeding JER as HW at DAYS, and I was like, "If you (still) remember Aunt Mary and the moose head stuffed with diamonds, then you know DAYS is right up Sally's alley, lol."

I think hiring Winther helped GENERATIONS greatly, because he zeroed in on the storylines that were working and made some much-needed changes to the cast with AMC vets like Dorothy Lyman, Debbi Morgan and Bob Gentry.

• Members

Agreed.

The soap had talent to spare but the writing left a lot to be desired. So many missed opportunities. And everyone who makes the point that the soap seemed to become more entertaining towards the end is right, because it was indeed a case of “too little too late”.

I look forward to seeing what this upcoming soap has in store.

• Members

Judi Ann Mason was at Generations from the start. Her name appears in the credits for the first episode. And Frank Dandridge appears in the credits for two early May 1989 episodes posted here in recent days.

• Members

Has anyone interviewed either? I would love to hear their perspectives on what the Writers Room was like for them. Did they face any pressures to write (or not write) certain stories and perspectives?

We’ve heard and read interviews done with Black actors, many of whom have discussed issues they had experienced with various soaps. I am curious if these writers encountered any issues writing for Generations ?

• Members
Posted (edited)

I wonder how they'll fit this into the CBS schedule. Perhaps:

10 Lets Make a Deal

11 Price is Right

12 Local News

12:30 Y&R

1 NEW SOAP: The Gates

1:30 B&B

2 The Talk

This is probably simplest way to accommodate the new soap without massively altering or confusing CBS's daytime lineup. Y&R remains in it's successful 12:30 ET slot, Gates airs at 1 to get the carryover audience, and the fans don't change the channel because they know Bold is coming on right after.

I doubt the The Talk or the game shows will be sliced to 30 minutes. I also don't see the veteran B&B getting canceled for a new soap. As awful as the show has become, it's still number two in soap ratings, and has international appeal. 

I've seen people in other message boards suggesting B&B be expanded to an hour---if they cant fill 18 minutes without repition they definately cant fill a full 38.

Another issue is the paciffic timezone where the cbs schedule is totally different.

Edited by Planet Soap

• Members
Posted (edited)

30 minutes is definitely the best way to go in this day and age. Less time to fill, less charachters to fill that time, thus cast members to pay (and all the costs associated with that).

IMO soaps shouldn't have expanded to one hour to begin with, because of the increased burdens of filling scripted content five days a week. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, none of the soaps that started out as an hour were successful.

**i'm suggesting Y&R be cut to 30 minutes. The show already struggles to make an hour interesting, and (ancient history but) even Bill Bell originally thought that the hour expansion was detrimental.

As unlikely as that is to happen...do we really need a full hour of the Newman kids battling for the company--again, or Nikki drinking--again.

Edited by Planet Soap

• Members

The problem with that is, how will a 1 hour soap fit into CBS's line up? One of their shows will have to get canceled, trimmed, or take more time away from affiliates. Some CBS stations such as WANF Atlanta even have a 3pm newscast (AD REVENUE)  so they might send the new show to a graveyard slot like 1 AM. 

• Members

It’s an easy choice for them and that’s to cancel The Talk hence why it’s being developed for an hour. They’ve tried everything they could to revamp that show and expand its audience. It’s time for it to go. 

I also do think B&B could be in trouble if this is successful. CBS has no ownership in it and I’m sure they have comments on the quality (which don’t matter for the same reason). I could see them dumping it if they feel they have tow successful shows in Y&R and The Gates.