General Hospital: July 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Folks, Donna just says things, is constantly behind the times and thinks she is the only one breaking news like on Usenet. Everyone here knew Kriegel was a temp weeks ago and there is no news of another actor. Stop paying attention.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think she should get a loan from Jax. 

Evidence of NuMolly? Not yet. Me, i only heard about her being at the studio, same time as Walt Willey. But, that's not evidence, that's hearsay. So, we'll see next week. It's not a big deal. 

Vee, that's funny. But, it won't hurt my feelings if  you don't read me. Have a nice day. 

• Members

I just didn't understand what they were doing there by themselves. 

I wanted to say about Molly's endometriosis, that I had Stage 4 out of 4 possible stages, with trouble getting a diagnosis, etc. & I just didn't find Molly's experience credible. Unless there is some reason she would be exceptionally stoic or not in touch with her body, etc. because half of every month basically she'd have needed something for pain & a partner she was sleeping with would have been aware of her being in pain, having trouble getting comfortable, not getting good restful sleep & definitely would have known something was off when they had sex when she was in pain. But, this is not the first time soaps have gotten a medical problem partially wrong. And, I guess for dramatic purposes they wanted it all to be a huge surprise & for Molly to feel guilty that she didn't get it seen to years ago. I was probably overly attentive to her history because of my history. 

• Members

An unexpected and pleasant surprise for me is how Mac and Felicia have turned into the town's matriarch/patriarch/stable couple. And boy is it welcomed.

They have shades of peak Ed/Maureen on Guiding Light for me. Mac is an all around good guy, willing to make sacrifices like raising other people's kids. Felicia is an easy talk-to, and problem solver. With or without Maxie onscreen, I hope this couple continues to play the stable and foundational role for Port Charles.

I think it would be awesome if Mac retires with a good police pension, and he and Felicia buy Kelly's. They can move above the shop, and act as the inn keepers for the younger crowd moving in-and-out of Port Charles (ala Myrtle on AMC).

Imagine Felicia pouring coffee and commiserating about her broken heart and family tragedies to the town newbies. She can impart history lessons like Elaine on SuBe. Then, when duty calls, she can slip away and continue to play super spy with Scorpio and Anna. She can become a surrogate mum to the newbies of Port Charles, giving her connections and storylines with younger leads beyond Maxie.

Mac can be content to stay in Port Charles. Cover shifts for his wife, so he can watch his grand kids. Anytime he gets dragged back into a police or spy shenanigans, he can play-up the "I'm too old for this" humor.

It can make Kelly's a fun and happening place. Lots of young co-eds looking to find their place. Felicia and Mac imparting advice and breaking-up fights. And every now and then a fun spy caper.

On the topic of thinning out the cast, here are my leading contenders...

• Willow, Sasha: There is no need to explain these. They are low hanging fruit
  • Nina, Obrecht: Let this side of the family tree die-out too. 
  • Finn, Chase, Gregory: Time to cut this family loose. These characters are so interchangeable. They have HAD years to make a mark, and have not. Let's bring in some new characters who are actually interesting.
  • Drew, Austin: As much as I love a Quartermaine, these players are not IT. Let's cut our losses on the Monica/Alan side of the family, especially with no signs of Monica returning. Let's focus on building out Ned's side of the house: Dillon, Lois
  • Molly: TJ is such a find and can be set-up as the next doctor romantic lead. With Haley off book for a while, and the temp not working out, let's rest this character and revisit it when there is a meaningful purpose and actress in the role.
  • Maxie: WHY are we not giving Kirsten a chance to recover from whatever issues she is having. She is clearly struggling in this role. This role has too much potential to become comic relief.
  • Heather/Jeff/Carolyn: None of these actors, or their storylines, are living-up to the legacy of the characters. Cut them loose until Robin Mattson and a better Jeff can be found.
  • Spencer: Let's face it, Nicholas is going to jump ship soon, so factor in a slot for a new younger leading man. Maybe age and find a capable actor to take over as one of Liz's kids? Aidan and our much awaiting LGBTQ teen story?

I know that these are a lot of players, but I think its necessary to give some of the more interesting recurring characters (Martin, Lucy, Brad) a chance for airtime and meaningful stories. It frees up the space to bring other vets back that have a greater storyline potential (Serena, Lulu, Dillon). And, will give them budget to test new, non-related characters. I think three years for some of these players acting as wallpaper (Willow) is more than enough.

• Members

Willow is recovering and can go home. If she is no longer dying, then what will they do with the character? She spent so much time dying that the audience gave up on her.

Maxie and Felicia appear to be around the same age. Kirsten Storms must go.

Kristina needs to have scenes with her father and brothers. So far she has only talked to her mom and sisters. She needs to make friends and have a love interest.

Edited by Aragorn

• Members

It is ridiculous that Carly loose everything while Sonny still has it all after all these years and crimes by both of them. And I am all for Carly at rock bottom but only if Laura Wright brings back some kind of edge to the character.  

I assume nobody has mentioned Bobbie or Jax because of the real world implications.  It’s not like we have to see Ingo to have a Jax mention. And Bobbie should not be presented as super wealthy anyway- upper middle class and with a comfortable retirement.  If Jackie was alive it would be lovely if she moved in with Bobbie though.

The current regime totally gets Felicia. I know the vets bring a lot of affection for each other into scenes themselves, but she’s just the right mix of friend/talk to, busybody, and still ready to go on an adventure. It’s the only character that I would say this regime has reinvigorated compared to the last few years of her previous contract run. I don’t want her serving coffee, I want her in the mix just like she has been for the last year.

Also- what an excellent time for one of those Bill Bell twists like Addie on DAYS.  Willow survived cancer only to be run down by Selina Wu or Gladys while trying to save Wiley out in the street. Dead on arrival at GH.

• Members

More random shootings, this time at the Metro Court pool??? Huh???

Who would live in this damn town? Shootings break out everywhere and anywhere for no reason. This is sloppy, lazy writing that is tone deaf to the gun violence we see every day.

• Members

I assume this Carly stuff is very temporary and she will be wealthy again soon.  Sonny goes through "phases" where he is down and out too and it never sticks.

I don't think you even have to do more than mention Jax's name or even say Joss's father helped me out.  I understand Ingo is persona non grata, but he's still a major character's ex-husband and dad.  I wonder how many people in the audience even know Ingo is what he is and are curious why he is never mentioned lol.  As far as Bobbie-I agree.  I wouldn't expect Bobbie to give Carly 5 million, but I could see her giving her a loan because she does own Kelly's and would be comfortable as you said.  I think the best solution would be just a throwaway line about why Carly doesn't explore these options instead of the show just ignoring all the different ways she could get herself out of it.