The Young and the Restless: March 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Another thought I had re Doug is perhaps he is upset/hurt that fellow castmates did not reach out to him in support. I'm sure he wouldn't expect them to go to bat for him (although Eric Braeden did earlier) but maybe a tweet or message to say he was missed or hope to see him again...

Pure speculation, just based on what I have seen happen in workplaces when somebody leaves under a cloud in some way. Supposed friends/colleagues move on quickly.

• Members

For the past month the show has been posting online old clips and photos that include Paul/DD.  Lauralee Bell's social media has included old photos of him.   On ET-Canada last week, they asked actors who the best kisser was of the actors they'd kissed during their time on Y&R, and Lauralee Bell picked Paul.  I believe other actors have included him in old photos.

The show's dialogue over the past few months has been clearly stating that Paul is active in Genoa City, is still the police chief, and he is still married to Christine:
Paul was discussed in January dialogue between Christine and Danny. Lauren described Paul fondly at her party (TEB anniv episode Jan 25) where Lauren tells Fen's boyfriend about her past, how she was once with Paul, and he's now the police chief - and they showed an old clip of Paul and Lauren during the episode.  During Heather&Lucy's recent visit to Genoa City, they told Daniel they'd just visited Paul and Christine, describing a scene that was offscreen.  

There seems to be an intent to make Paul part of the show, yet DD isn't. 

I've no idea what the behind-the-scenes reasons are for any of this.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

The most interesting plot movement in yesterday's episode was Phyllis-Diane, in that I actually want to see how far Phyllis will go to destroy Diane. Feel sorry for Diane for having to deal with that obsessed stalker, lol.

I have always had a fondness for Michael Grazadei and his ability to tease chemistry even from Christel Khalil. Beth Maitland also has that fine-honed ability, and the reason that the Traci-Nikki scene worked is that these two actresses are chemistry magnets who click with whoever they interact with.

Devon-Abby are a cure for insomnia. Has Abby ever had a pairing that clicked? She's such an empty vessel of a character. 

Money? Or maybe DD threw one too many fits about his place on the show, and TPTB were like "Bye." They've not been invested in the character of Paul in a long, long time. Certainly not after Steve Burton left. 

I'd personally love Paul and Christine back and Lauralee Bell on the show fulltime.

• Members

They are so bad together. There isn’t enough of a personality difference between them. I thought Emme Rylan’s more openly spoiled Abby worked much better with Devon (and they should have gone there with them with her in the role), maybe simply because ER played Abby with a stronger POV. He also worked really well with EH’s Chloe when she was a schemer. And of course his chemistry with Mishael as Hillary (but not with the more benign Amanda) is the stuff of legend.

Bryton is a great actor but he’s low-key in a way that doesn’t always work on soaps. And Y&R hasn’t written for him well (in the same way they often failed the gifted KSJ). He’s very natural and easy in his interactions but he isn’t a chemistry magnet in the way that MTS and BM are, and placing him with Ordway doesn’t give him opportunities to shine. But light a match under him (like his recent work with CK and TSJ), and he blows me away.

• Members

Who among us?

I remember multiple people insisting for over a decade that Devon and Abby was the wave of the future for this show that only ignorant cowards could not see, presumably by way of their family lineage and little else. How they calculated this with Melissa Ordway in the role (and Bryton is, as you say, complicated) is beyond me.

If Abby had had a fully-formed personality, say a decade ago, you might've been able to create something. She hasn't and never will have one beyond third-tier ditz. Her only value is her parents' bloodline and that is not enough to keep her around.

• Members

Omg. Don’t even get me started on that. They did him so dirty over the years. It’s almost shocking he’s still on the show after all this time.

No disagreement here. It’s not worth the effort to make something of Abby. We see how she’s left out of both her families’ stories (the Newman sibling rivalries and the Diane stuff), so her bloodlines don’t even give her that much benefit.