The Young and the Restless: March 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Like James and Taylor in the earthquake on B&B... when you're stuck somewhere, often in a life or death situation, and give in just once. Jack and Jill in the 80s is a Y&R example but Y&R doesn't do it tons. I can't really envision an exciting enough situation on current Y&R haha. Maybe Nate and Victoria will do it in an elevator at Newman LOL.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I tuned into Y&R this week in anticipation of the 50th, and God I am bored. How can a show with such a marvellous cast be boring?

This all comes down the writing. The scenes are so short, so the dialogue has no chance to be emotional. It’s just plot. I want to laugh, I want to cry. But the whole thing is just dry. 

I love this cast. I love all the familiar faces. I know what these players are capable of, because I have watched them shine for decades. This writing is letting them down, and letting the audience down. 

The only weak link the last three days has been Michelle Stafford. He delivery in her scenes with James Hyde and Susan Walters was so stilted. It was like she did not know her lines and reading off cue cards. Give the girl a break to recharge. She can do better. 

• Members

Josh Griffith is a boring writer with zero imagination.

Today's show was the best so far of the week.

Mamie scenes were retro great! The best part of today's show.

Jill was in rare form. Love her!

I fast forwarded all the Phyliss scenes.

The show was ruined with the Chelsea propping and her fuckin appearance.

I hate the character with a passion!

• Members

What will it take for Y&R to look like how it did in the 2000-2005 era? They were already HD back then. The most frequently used sets are the same sets today. But why does the show look so cheap now, when it looked so cinematic then? It can not just be different directors? Can they bring Ed Scott in to reset the production values?

That easy reset can do a world of good for this show. God, I miss the dark, moody, and candle lit episodes. These bright lights are not doing the sets, or the cast, any favours.

• Members

I am loving Trevor St. John's Tucker and Eileen Davidson's Ashley. St. John is a strong performer, and actually has chemistry with Davidson. What a 180 from Stephen Nichol's forgettable run.

One of St. John's strengths is as a background actor. As the main scene partners, in today's case Bergman and Davidson, spar, he is still engaged in the scene and doing his own thing in the background. It is early, but I think he can create a meaningful Chancellor heir character.

The Chancellors need a fun dinner scene. It's such a rag-tag group of folks these days: Devon, Tucker, Chance, Billy. I think it would be so funny to see these four figure out how to be a family unit. Maybe Jill can bring them together, and let the sardonic jabs begin.

• Members

3-22

MAMIE!!!! You could just feel the warmth and history pour right off of her and Jack. And even with Billy. It warmed my heart. And Yes...that flashback. Someone pointed out that the same mirror from the flashback as well. See what happens when you allow sets to age. It gave everything such gravitas. 

Speaking of gravitas, how I loved Jill vs Victor. And the spirit of Neil over that whole conversation. And it speaks to Victor's history with Devon that I mentioned the other day as well as Victor's relationship to Neil as his right hand man that those scenes held so much to them for me as well. 

I lived for every moment Amanda was ON...READY...and taking no prisoners. And she runs into Abby at the end. If looks could kill...

I enjoyed Summer dressing down Phyllis as well. But Phyllis seeing the ring...yeeeah burn. 

THANK YOU!!! 

Fingers crossed for a rematch.

• Members

Chelsea and Daniel in an empty CL discussing Omega Sphere- is anyone the slightest bit interested on any level?

Nice to see some extras at the GCAC. If only the budget would allow for it on a regular basis.

And so far the women look decently dressed for once.Much better than in real life at the 50th party.

Disgrace that Mariah and Tessa are not there.

Devon in that mask....