The Young and the Restless: March 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

The gala episodes actually *feel* like Classic Y&R - with the sets, wardrobe, characters that don't normally interact - friends, enemies and instigators - Leanna and Audra. The tribute to KSJ was a nice touch that also mined decades of history - Victor/Neil business and personal relationship.

As a formerly faithful viewer who's struggled to stick with more than a week every 6 months now, I'm entertained enough to watch through the gala episodes.

Budgeting and scheduling for non-contract and guests is a challenge so instead of nitpicking stuff, I'm enjoying celebrating actors/characters I've watched for since I was a teen.

Everyone looks great, but it's awesome to see Brytni in something other than scrubs!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you. This was lovely to watch. You could see how proud she was of her work on the show, especially the foster care storyline, and she's right about how ahead of its time the show was in the early/mid '90s (with light shade thrown of what has happened since). Her memories of Bill Bell were touching.

• Members

As segregated as the Barbers/Winters' could feel at times they were all allowed to be prominent characters. The only other soap to give black characters that level of respect was AMC with Angie and Jesse (and Passions, I GUESS).

Are there any post-Bill Bell creations on the show that can be put in the same category as characters like Dru, Victor, Ashley, Victor, Katherine, etc.? I honestly can't think of a single character since he stepped down that would qualify. Not Devon, sorry Bryton. Mariah? That's all Cameron, Mariah is a mess of a character. Maybe Hillary. Which they, of course, botched.

• Members

Weekly Preview Shows Diane Kicking Phyllis Ass, Good! Something to look Forward To! And One more Slap For My Video, hopefully I'll be Finished With That One By Next Week!!!! Of course I also have a ton of Clips To Edit For This Week's 50 Years, 50 Scenes I Am Doing!

• Members

I agree. The line delivery of Mamie's last line was a missed opportunity. It easily could have played out as you alluded to with Jill offering bygones be bygones, with Mamie looking sincere...and then delivering the hell no. I expect Y&R is shooting like DAYS: minimal rehearsal and get it in the can.

That being said...

I really enjoyed seeing them together, regardless of the faults in the episode. 

That's when I knew Janice Ferri Esser wrote the script. Jill rightfully claiming her role as an Abbott was refreshing. 

I agree. I am a longtime lapsed viewer who might tune in half a dozen times a year, but I have watched each of these gala episodes and enjoyed them. 

• Members

I would have loved Leanna to have turned up on the arm of a guest-maybe Matt Miller? Crampton looks amazing for her age-not at all 'done'

The tinkly background music is a minus-they really need to get back to music that enhances the scene.

Mamie not knowing Lily's twins was odd-I would have preferred it being said that she had visited them over the years - same with the Abbotts-it seems out of character that she had no contact.

The dumb masks seem to be there to facilitate the Phyllis plot-they are awkward and unnecessary.

Phyliis' lips....