DAYS: September 2022 Discussion Thread ⌛

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

To me the beginning of the end was when GL, ATWT, OLTL & AMC were canceled. It had been a blow to lose 4 so close together. Only 3.5 hrs of soap was left. No Agnes Nixon was left. No Irna Phillips was left. No P&G was left. No NY soap was left. So to me we have been living in end times. And, some of the things that have been done in the name of staying on the air reflect that. Presumably the shows will continue to decline. For DOOL will this mean sharper, faster decline? I don't know. I just get that it has to be tried. It would seem that DOOL is in the best position to be the guinea pig. It's consistently at the bottom. In 1978 Gloria Monty did something unheard of & threw out a week of show on tape & done. I wish Corday was bold enough to throw out some of that vetted & taped & edited show tape! I think they need an edge. That would be one. But, of course, I don't think they will do so.

• Members

It's just speculation - there's been no spoilers with the indication that it's where they're going.

While making Craig essentially a failed serial killer would suck, at least it's somewhat a surprise twist since there's not been much speculation about it.

Edited by te.

• Members

Steve heads over to the electrical box and opens it.

Steve: "So many wires to cut! I don't know which color to cut! That bastard. He said he gave us everything we needed to know!"

John (to Kayla): "Did he say anything at all that referenced colors? ANYTHING about colors!"

Kayla: "He called me blue eyes! He has never done that!"

John (to Steve): "Try it!"

Steve: "Okay, that works for me!" (attempt at cutting the blue wire fails)

Roman: "22 seconds."

Kate: "Is there a white wire? Because he called you guys white knights!"

Steve: "White! Got it! Oh no." (attempt at cutting the white wire fails)

Roman: "14 seconds!"

MarDevil: "What about .. what about black for John Black?"

Steve: "Black."

Roman: "6 seconds!"

John: "Come on, man.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Noel

• Members

I've been a Ron Carlivati fan for a long time and defended him on occasion over the years, but he needs to go. This show is terrible and reading the fall previews, nothing coming up sounds good either. I actually think this show can survive on Peacock, but not with Ron in charge. It's time to hand the keyboard over to someone else. 

• Members

Donna Swajeski could be okay... but it would depend on if she is sole head writing or a co-head writer. Her regime at All My Children with David Kreizman (who is a current script writer at Days of Our Lives) was a bubbling mess. Patrick Mulcahey would be okay, however, looking at his history, he's primarily an ABC and CBS writer. I'd be willing to see him come in as a co-head writer, however, I don't know if he'd be up for the task.

If we go down the avenue of hiring new talent and putting them into the pool of people writing, I'd love to see Lisa Connor & Chip Hayes get their chance, or even someone like Garin Wolf get a genuine chance at head writing a soap. His two short tenures at General Hospital were really quite interesting, and he seemed to have a strong pull with dialogue, and possibly pull Michele Val Jean from her job at The Bold and the Beautiful, and give her a chance. Hell, Mulcahey & Val Jean could do well together as a team.

However, if they go down the route of re-hiring past regimes (which they have proven they do), I would warmly and immediately welcome back Marlene McPherson & Darrell Ray Thomas, Jr., who co-wrote the soap from 2011–2012. Yes, their regime was a bit bumpy, however, they had a real grip on the canvas and it felt pretty well-paced. Lorraine Broderick would be my primary pick of promotion, however, she's retired now, so that won't be happening and I know she wasn't interested in head writing a soap once All My Children ended. Or, possibly, even the return of Tom Langan?

• Members

Swajeski was so good at AW even when she was fighting with NBC. So much but the tops was probably Who Shot Jake? And, at GL at the end, not as one of the co-HWs, just on the team, she wrote the best Otalia scene of all time, that in the snow, at the graveside of Gus, in the gazebo when the ladies finally declare their love for each other. I knew AMC had gone awry. Mulcahey & Val Jean would be very interesting. And, I was intentionally thinking new blood for DOOL. Mulcahey wrote some for AW before being on the team for TEXAS & he wrote at SB, so there's some NBC.

I did not know that Lorraine Broderick had retired. Doggone. If only she could have gone on forever!

Editing in to say: Anybody have their IG acct suddenly render headings & sub-head in a Cyrrhlic (spelling?) alphabet? - Never mind. I found where to change it back to English. Excuse my dust.

Edited by Tonksadora
Weird thing. I got it.

• Members

Donna Swajeski's GL work was mediocre to me, but it was also stymied by being produced by a hardcore Mormon who thought the show's entire focus should be turning all the women (including the very hesitantly featured lesbians) into brood mares. Pass.

Edited by Vee