DAYS: September 2022 Discussion Thread ⌛

• Members

This show. Spending so much time redeeming two characters that most viewers don't like or give a damn about. Gwen and Leo.  This isn't the Young and the Restless.  They both need to go. They are destroying Jack as a character. Matt Ashford looks like he'd rather be anywhere else. Not that I blame him.  

The Sarah and Xander should be mad. They got how many failed wedding and the for the successful one, it was that sorry and sad affair. Where's the payoff in that? 

The Leo and Sonny scenes today was beyond stupid. First, there would have been guards stationed outside Sonny's room. Two, there's almost no way Leo would have been to dress himself as a nurse and not get caught. This isn't campy fun, it's dumb. Why is Sonny giving him the time of day and not only quick to forgive Leo? Why is Sonny covering for the guy that falsely accused him of harassment, then sexuality assaulted him?  Even though Leo took away the call button, I'm supposed to believe Sonny wouldn't yell for security?  Also where the hell is Will? Is he taking a dump or something, because there's is NO way I'd believe he'd leave Sonny's bedside that quickly, especially after being away for months. 

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sonny being left alone makes no sense at all after being attacked. No way would Will or his dad leave his side. Did the scene where Will kisses Sonny on his temples already air? It's in the promo. I wonder if the cut it out and yet included it in the promo.

Sarah and Xander are just boring. I could care less about either one. Their attempted marriages have been a joke.

• Members

They actually changed it in 2018 from the sage green (which could read as lime green or yellowish depending on how bad the lighting was!) to a very muted blue-gray.  So in theory, I think this is sacrilegious, but I think the light refresh, which also included swapping the white wall-to-wall carpet for “hardwood” and some new art, is a huge improvement.  Believe it or not, this set has come a long way since its reintroduction in 2010.  Like Michael said, this set returned different… and bad.  Before, I thought it was a really rich set, but in 2010 it looked like straight cardboard, it became SO angular for the forced perspective, and the new “art” was a joke.  When the lighting got really dark in late 2015/16, it helped a lot… and with the 2018 refresh, I like it, except for all the Home Goods decor.  But I started watching in 2000, and I never remember the foyer being necessarily different.  I also love that Jennifer lives there.

Speaking of Jenn, Monday’s eppy was actually the first time Cady really felt like Jenn to me.  I appreciate her very much and I don’t dislike her, but Missy really embodied that part and the recasting made it clear that Jenn’s connections were so strongly based on Missy’s chemistry with her screen partners, most notably Matt, Marci, Casey, SSH, and Bill.  I thought she did great with Suzanne and I think it helped that this was about Jennifer’s history, not Chad’s pain, not the Gwen messiness, or not that insane Jack/Kate hookup.  And it really, really helped that this was at the Horton Home, where they should have had Cady at as much as possible from the beginning to anchor her to Jennifer’s meaningful history.  I was also impressed that she had a Tory Burch bag!  Lol

I also love your idea of connecting Jack and Alex through the Deveraux trust!

Anyway, I haven’t seen today’s wedding episode, but I actually thought Friday and Monday were really strong overall episodes, dialogue included.

• Members

I know I talked some smack about that studio apartment set of Jake's (or now Stacy's), but this dump motel set of Leo's (or Gwen's) tops the Pepperidge Farm cake! Oh, dear sweet baby Jesus. Or Lucifer, or almighty universal power. From the wall paneling to the fleeting ship painting, or from the 4-inch foam mattress to the bed skirt, this was extremely alarming and shameful. No, seriously. This room would give me nightmares. 

Is it me, or does it seem like Rafe and Sloane have sexual tension? Their scenes didn't exactly carry off as let's say ... a scene between Rafe Hernandez and Melinda Trask. The mask is now in the possession of Melinda Trask, so I'm hoping that this will be the final demise of that stupid thing. Probably not. Ava will probably find another face mask lingering around the DiMera tunnels, lol!

• Members

No, I would check into a Super 8 before thinking about sleeping on that bed, lol! At least at the Salem Inn, I could get some yogurt. The 4-inch foam mattress wasn't even fit to cover the actual box spring. And the bed skirt was so starched, lemme tell you. No, the ship painting just needs to keep on sailing away - away from that room and away from the flea markets and yard sales. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Noel

• Members

I love Kermit here getting some O2!! But, I wanted to say that it was just too contrived for Sonny to be alone. No way would Will have left his side! GregR was in the twitterverse last night claiming that he was channeling Cybil Shepherd, who I have no memory of as a nurse! I suspect it was more a Nurse Ratchet.

• Members

Lol!  I also noticed Jen had a Tory Burch bag. Usually the purses the actors carry are non-descript, so I thought it was probably Cady's actual purse.  I thought CM did pretty well with the Maggie scenes and I am usually pretty critical of her as Jen.  I agree she did a nice job with Suzanne.  I wish we could have seen some sort of progression into this relapse, but it's Days.  Also, how silly was it to throw those pills in the empty wastebasket not down the toilet?  

Speaking of cheap sets, I find the hospital one of the worst.  Not so much the main lobby or Marlena's office, but the actual hospital rooms.  They are so unrealistic and take me out of scenes more so than any other cheap house/hotel sets.  

• Members

I knew the paint had changed at some point. I actually hadn't noticed the flooring until that close-up on Monday's episode. The 'hardwood' (laminate) is probably a lot easier to keep clean, but it looked beat-up that day!

The thing about the hospital rooms that drives me nuts -- ever since the 2019 time jump -- is how the beds are usually at a weird, 45-degree angle in the room, with the head not against the wall. I'm sure it makes shooting and staging easier, but no bed would be set up like that in an actual room.

• Members

Maybe the angle is what makes every person not in the hospital bed look awkward and unnatural?  Like they have no place that feels comfortable to sit or stand.  I know it's a smallish set but Will, John, Kayla, whoever is with the injured person doesn't look like they know how to hit their mark and it always looks like everyone is huddled around smothering the person in the bed lol.  I am probably not explaining it right, but the set just always feels so crowded even with only one machine and two people lol.

• Members

I know exactly what you mean. It's probably easier to get camera coverage of the person in the bed, since they're angled toward the cameras instead of in profile, but you wind up with people awkwardly smushed up against those cabinets or by the foot of the bed. It doesn't even make sense from a practical standpoint -- those beds would need to be close to as many outlets and power sources as possible, rather than having wires running over half the room.

• Members

I’ll never unsee the angled hospital beds lol.  I actually like both iterations of this hospital set.  But I remember the pre-Tomlin one, when it was fully assembled, was HUGE—multiple lobbies (including the one with the information desk where Sami worked lolol) and hallways, a big cafeteria, a terrace, and a roof.  We had it so good back then lol

I understand the limitations now… but if you have to angle hospital beds to expedite filming………. lol.  There’s also parts of the sets we rarely see the actors in (all the stairwells basically, the hallways at the K mansion and J&M’s townhouse, etc.) because the actors always have to be in the direct center of the damn room!  Like, instead of people just showing up in the DiMansion living room, it would go a long way to follow a character from the exterior door, through the foyer, and into the living room.  Time for things like that need to be allowed because “Days” always just looks like a play that’s been filmed for years now.

• Members

I get the limitations, I really do, but one thing that drives me insane -- since we're on the subject of staging -- is how people walk into the DiMera living room and say things like, "Harold let me in" as if the foyer isn't six feet away. Whoever was in the living room would hear the doorbell and whatever exchange happened at the front door that's right there. It's less glaring at the Kiriakis place right now since they're using that ugly study, but when they use the full living room (if they ever do again), it's the same issue with the foyer being right next to it.