DAYS: September 2022 Discussion Thread ⌛

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am not sure any of this correlates to AW being cancelled.  I know it's a beloved show and I don't mean any disrespect, but it's just not the same thing.  The Days episodes are pre taped months ahead and it perhaps wasn't enough time to do a proper sendoff, but the show could have done something more to send it off the network and to streaming.  There was no (good) cliffhanger, no enticement to pay to watch, and it was absolutely shameful.  AW closed up shop and was done.  Days is trying to stay alive and get new viewers, but I don't think it's fair to compare a soap that was cancelled 20+ years ago to what's going on today.  It's just a completely different animal as far as viewership goes.

• Members

Of course it's different. But there are things that can be pulled out, teased out, that relate. The only thing that has existed that is remotely like this was AMC & OLTL & Prospect Park ... and looking at them & this what stands out is things that are, guess what? different. It's not about sameness because there is no same. This is a first, a singular, but there are relative points. And, I've only mentioned relative points.

Yes, of course, it was different, is different. Nothing like this has happened before. DOOL didn't have to keep producing daily episodes; AW did. The issue was if they even had enough time to create a "Network End" Finale. I brought up a relative amount of time, a month & a result, a two-day finale. My point is that if they had wanted to do a "special episode" to wave farewell to broadcast TV, they likely could have. It would have likely meant taking their pipe-line of producing episodes for 6 months+ down the road, offline & done a special project. I think the question is whether they would have thought to do such a thing & not whether they had time. I could be wrong. It's just a point. GL found out they were cancelled & what their last air date was (Sept. 18) on April Fools' Day. There's another time span if you're looking to think in terms of how much time does it take to ... It's all I'm sayin'. Obviously it's academic, theoretical, etc.

• Members

It doesn't even seem like I'm watching the final (tv) episode. I was expecting to see Deidre Hall or somebody at the beginning of the show thanking fans for their long devotion and so on. Instead it was just another normal episode like nothing was even happening.

The last few minutes of DAYS being preempted is the story of modern soaps: mercilessly interupted by often unnecesary news bulletins from overzealous news organizations, desperate to put something on the air even if it's just rambling speculation. You'd  think that after 57 years they could wait two minutes. To be fair, the King Charles special report was justifiable but it's still stings.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

We are probably talking in circles here, but it's really not even remotely the same as AW-perhaps a bit similar to the Prospect Park stuff, but Days is continuing on Monday. PP wasn't really ironed out yet, so AMC and OLTL created finales as if it was the last episode ever, but with a few cliffhangers.  Days absolutely should have inserted a special episode, but it would still have to follow the continuity of future episodes.  It's not an ending for Days and AW/AMC/OLTL/Whatever were ending.   Plans were scrapped, stories changed, production halted, and endings were created.  Days is just continuing on. With preemptions and what not perhaps it wasn't feasible to time, but like @ironlionsaid Deidre or somebody should have come out and thanked viewers and invite them to watch on Peacock.   Anyhow that's not what happened and it's dumb, but the new promo does look good IMO.  I get the feeling NBC/Ron purposely avoided making a big deal out of the final televised episode because no one wants to act like the move is a big deal and everything will just be business as usual on Monday.

• Members

They had a month and one week to get everything together, including doing promotional rounds/material to advertise the move which I'm sure took front seat. Add the regular recording of episodes - I just don't think they realistically had time, especially trying to insert something that would still respect the continuity. This isn't on Corday/Ron - this is entirely on NBC/Peacock. This move was by all accounts sudden. 

• Members

We're not talking in circles. And no one is claiming it's the same. I already said more than once that this is new & singular. There's never been another "it". Personally I think they should've produced the hell out of a standalone retrospective of clips of "moments" with no attempt to fit in with continuity. Just end the episode & have a twenty minute bonanza of highlights & I know they could've done that. They have their reasons I'm sure that they did not want to do something like that.

I suppose they might even consider it bad luck to have a finale of any ilk. I know too much bad about the way NBC net-thinks to want to know what they have in mind. And, I have yet to approach understanding RonC. The only thing that troubles me about the new arrangement is that the same people are in charge. When Errol said that the other day I nearly swallowed my tongue. Agreed about the new promo looking good, BTW.

It seems to me that they made the decision at the earliest point they logically could. Because they needed all the metrics, needed to evaluate them & then, they could say yes this will work, or no this won't work. But, at that point, they were free to set the launch up however they wanted. Wouldn't they? Or is this fall start of new year thing promotionally that important? Is that why they only gave themselves 5 weeks? I agree that they didn't have time to do a good retcon out with the old & in with the new. Because that's what it is most like to me, Auld Lang Syne or the king is dead, long live the king.

Edited by Tonksadora

• Members

I do like the idea of a clip show that wouldn't ruin continuity.  That would have been a great way to go out.  I do think NBC/Ron/Corday/Whoever wanted a cliffhanger ending and Stefan/Gabi aren't it lol.  The show probably should have ended with the episode that had Marlena, Kate and Kayla getting sick as that seems to be what they are promoting and featured numerous vets if they weren't going out with anything special.

• Members

I don't think it was the most exciting episode, but it had vets, family scenes, a John/Marlena "love scene", and it felt like a good note to end on.    I was at least interested in that.  I don't mind Gabi/Stefan, but we've known he was alive for a minute so it's not that impactful and certainly not something that would entice me to watch on Monday.  But I am going to watch on Monday regardless, so I am not that objective lol.  Maybe someone who is on the fence about Peacock might feel differently.

• Members

I think we can be objective but we may not share perspective with people who are more reluctant. I am definitely on the ride, prepared to go around many times. Not everyone is. I wish we didn't face 6 months in the can with another month in writing & fully vetted. But there's nothing to be done about it. It is what it is.

I've actually been liking Gabi and that's a weird feeling.

• Members

It's hard to say where it will go.  I don't think anyone was prepared for this behind the scenes.  I guess we will all watch it unfold.

I have always liked Gabi and I like BB as Stefan.  I just don't think they are that important.   I honestly have always thought CB did a good job and Gabi was one of the better developed "younger" characters.   But....she's not why I watch Days lol.