Jump to content

Days of Our Lives: September 2021 Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members

All day long and I finally remembered what VK was reminding me of: Catherine O'Hara as Marilyn Hack playing a blind hooker in For Your Consideration.

 

Please register in order to view this content

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, victoria foxton said:

 

  

I'm a bit surprised by the response to this article.  I understand that people on this thread don't like the Ben/Ciara story, but the article itself is remarkable. 

It seems like there are frequent requests amongst the fandom for DAYS to get coverage in mainstream press, so calling these rather artful pictures sacrilege seems to conflict with those desires.  Paper Magazine is known for their provocative photo shoots, (they're the ones who published Kim K's "break the internet" pics with the champagne bottle on her bootie).  The article itself was written by Micky Boardman, the main editor for Paper, and it avoids all of the mainstream soap articles tropes that call it a dead genre.  Both actors look very sexy in the photos, and the recreation, (which includes a spot-on digital background image of the Horton living room from the 70's), seems cheeky and fun. 

It may be that people forget the original context.  Susan and Bill Hayes posed for the original Time cover with parody in mind.  The original Time article was about the increasing sexuality of soaps in the 1970's and and the cover pose was meant to convey the kind of overwrought passion being played in daytime.  Susan's cleavage and Bill's gestures are meant to be over the top, even camp.  It wasn't a screenshot, nor was it a profile of the actors, it was just an essay questioning the morals of portraying love in the afternoon.

I don't know if people would have preferred that Paper cover Mary Beth Evans' pies or Judi Evans' sartorial choices, but it would not have been a good fit with that magazine's audience. 

Edited by j swift
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, Vee said:

It's a nice idea but VK's expression is one for the books. Where is she looking??

I'll give her credit because it looks like she's as over "Cin" as we all are here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 hours ago, j swift said:

I'm a bit surprised by the response to this article.  I understand that people on this thread don't like the Ben/Ciara story, but the article itself is remarkable. 

It seems like there are frequent requests amongst the fandom for DAYS to get coverage in mainstream press, so calling these rather artful pictures sacrilege seems to conflict with those desires.  Paper Magazine is known for their provocative photo shoots, (they're the ones who published Kim K's "break the internet" pics with the champagne bottle on her bootie).  The article itself was written by Micky Boardman, the main editor for Paper, and it avoids all of the mainstream soap articles tropes that call it a dead genre.  Both actors look very sexy in the photos, and the recreation, (which includes a spot-on digital background image of the Horton living room from the 70's), seems cheeky and fun. 

It may be that people forget the original context.  Susan and Bill Hayes posed for the original Time cover with parody in mind.  The original Time article was about the increasing sexuality of soaps in the 1970's and and the cover pose was meant to convey the kind of overwrought passion being played in daytime.  Susan's cleavage and Bill's gestures are meant to be over the top, even camp.  It wasn't a screenshot, nor was it a profile of the actors, it was just an essay questioning the morals of portraying love in the afternoon.

I don't know if people would have preferred that Paper cover Mary Beth Evans' pies or Judi Evans' sartorial choices, but it would not have been a good fit with that magazine's audience. 

Have to agree with you. The photo is a lot of fun and they look good. I don’t get the negative VK comments here. 
 

And sorry, this photo is no sacrilege, or near it. It’s a recreation of a soap couple, for God’s sake. There’s no DO NOT TOUCH here, people. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I think the photos are really lovely--I mentioned how amazing the sets look.  I haven't read the article yet.  I only said the recreated TIME photo was "sacrelig'" because, in my opinion, Cin are literally the worst and their constant and very unwarranted propping (wether its comparing them to B&H, having Marlena be their quasi Fairy Godmother, or staging a photo nodding to one of the show's biggest pop culture moments) is nauseating to me.  I'm super glad "Days" and the genre are getting press and a splashy photoshoot that's way more elevated than anything we get as "Days" fans.  Perhaps I should have looked at this more macro and focused on the positives than my disdain for this ridiculous couple.  And noted that D&J were completely ridiculous considering the Addie/Hope angle . . . but that all happed 10+ years before I was born so I can't comment on wether or not their journey was similar to the 50th anniversary serial killer being exalted as a hero with little to no viable redemption arc while Ciara refuses to acknowledge the pain he inflicted across canvas, including her cousin (the show's then premiere heroine), who he intended to burn to death while absconding with her hours-old newborn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Today's episode is terrible! Recreated flashbacks of Bonnie, Calista, and Harrison Lord? Talking about the stupid "buddy's burger bucks" or whatever? Are you kidding me?

I don't get why Ben and Ciara get airtime. They don't have anything resembling a story. Making out nonstop is not a story. It's time for them to ride off into the sunset.

Brady/Chloe/Philip is so stale. Gabi manipulating Philip is at least kind of funny because Philip is just such a loser at this point.

I'm only halfway through this episode and I'm not sure I can even finish. Awful!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
10 minutes ago, AlexElizabeth said:

Today's episode is terrible! Recreated flashbacks of Bonnie, Calista, and Harrison Lord? Talking about the stupid "buddy's burger bucks" or whatever? Are you kidding me?

I don't get why Ben and Ciara get airtime. They don't have anything resembling a story. Making out nonstop is not a story. It's time for them to ride off into the sunset.

Brady/Chloe/Philip is so stale. Gabi manipulating Philip is at least kind of funny because Philip is just such a loser at this point.

I'm only halfway through this episode and I'm not sure I can even finish. Awful!

Great write up for today's show. I had it as background noise.

Oh you forgot boring Rafe and Nicole.

Edited by Soapsuds
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
21 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Great write up for today's show. I had it as background noise.

Oh you forgot boring Rafe and Nicole.

I don't get why the writers are so insistent on giving us Rafe/Nicole. They're boring and I've never seen any fanfare for them. They just have the same scene over and over again and it's not at all interesting. I'd rather see them test out Nicole with nuEJ or even write her out (and I say that as someone who likes her!).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy