DAYS: 30+ Year Vet Quits!

• Members

I hear what you're saying, and I wish that the show had been able to convince KA to stay. But airtime is a limited quantity, and if the show has a lot of talented actresses in KA's age range who offer warmer, more colorful, and more varied performances than KA does, then isn't it only fair that they get some of her airtime? 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

When did KA's acting style become cold and hard? She was still softer when she was re-introduced in 1994. I barely remember any stories with her from the mid '90s or early '00s, aside from Princess Gina, Zach, Larry Welch, and a few cop-related things.

• Members

I think it started in the mid 2000s after they aged Shawn and Belle and killed off Zach, and Hope was in that awkward age range where she was no longer the youthful mother, but not old enough to be an established matriarch or diva. 

As I'd said earlier in the thread, the Hope character never quite made it to leading lady status. She was always secondary to the Bo/Hope supercouple and struggled to stand on her own without Peter Reckell. A late 40s/early 50s heroine just doesn't work when Hope's career was poorly defined throughout the character's run. Things happened to Hope. She did very little to anyone else for 30+ years. 

• Members

Zach is what did it for me, it eliminated the ability to keep them age age appropriate, we had seen too many years of Bo/Hope being broken up and brought back together, and each time they were a little less invested in as characters by tbtb.

And I agree that she is one of those characters that does not work as well without their partner, for her it is Bo.  It’s funny that I feel Steve suffers from the same thing.  I enjoy Kayla just fine all on her own, but Steve without Kayla is awful, and I’ve always felt that way.

I truly loved Hope for a long time, and I’m glad and support her decision to quit.  It’s a mess on DAYS.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

She truly seems happy to be leaving, and has nothing bad to say about anybody or the show.

I really appreciate the work ethic she describes, while also seeing how grueling this schedule must be for all of them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.glamour.com/story/kristian-alfonso-what-ive-learned-from-nearly-30-years-on-days-of-our-lives/amp

• Members

Digest: DAYS announced it was coming back to work on September 1 but then you announced that you would not be coming with them. What factored into your decision not to return to the show?

Alfonso: Well, our executive producer, Ken Corday, and I had a conversation prior to my announcement. During the conversation, Ken told me that Ron Carlivati, our head writer, and Albert Alarr, our co-executive producer, wanted to take me off the canvas for four to five months then bring me back for a storyline involving a Navy SEAL, who would be a new love interest for Hope. I said to Ken, “Oh, this is the storyline that you mentioned to me a while ago.” I know Ken was really looking forward to telling this story. When he originally told me about it, I got chills. I thought, “You know what, this could be a great story. This could be so fun.” And during our conversation, he reiterated that they felt like I needed to be off canvas for four to five months. In that moment, I thought to myself, “I think it’s time to leave.” I’ve been there for an incredibly long time and am hugely grateful that I was able to be a part of the DAYS OF OUR LIVES family for as long as I was. But in the last few years, DAYS OF OUR LIVES is not the DAYS OF OUR LIVES as I know it.