DAYS: 30+ Year Vet Quits!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

We can all speculate on what Kristian means or not....so...okay I'll speculate too. LOL.

Maybe she isn't being as forthright as everyone thinks and she's trying to give subtle hints. Maybe she's just fed up with Ron and his sh*tty writing. When she says DAYS isn't the same any more...it isn't!! It's become a farce with people dying and coming back every other week because of some serum they keep being able to come up with more of. They made her Gina again for a stupid plot point that seemed to make no sense. They (in my opinion) keep screwing around with Stefano and his history just to add more spawns from nowhere to keep the Dimeras around. They had her daughter fall in love with a serial killer and she's now written like his bestie and being supportive of their wedding. That would never have happened back in the day. She probably understands the politics of the show and figures Ron will be there 'til the end if it's a choice between him or her so maybe this is her way of trying to stay above it while being as straight forward as she can.

Didn't vets on GH have issues with Ron and what he did to their characters before he was finally canned?

I'm not saying it's all Ron. I'm sure there are other factors too, like pay cuts, etc, but when you add them all up together... I would be interested in seeing if her "closed door" would stay that way if a writer she respected came aboard and asked her to come back with a respectable story that featured her. 

I think most of the people that have left are actors that want to work, but they also want to be treated with respect and have decent material to work with! 

Sadly the four shows that are left don't seem to care much about that anymore. 

• Members

My take is similar to Melroser's. Also, the primary reason why I don't think Alfonso's decision is petty, classless, etc. is because I'm sure she knows that as an actress in her mid 50s, with little other than daytime soaps on her resume for the last 20 years, she probably doesn't have a lot of options in acting. Even knowing that, she decided it wasn't worth sticking around. I actually think she's been very tactful, giving enough information that you know she's unhappy, but she's not setting the house on fire on her way out. Like I said in my previous post, I'm not a fan of hers or of Hope, but maybe I empathize because I'm close to the same age she is, have been at my job for decades, and would love to do something else. She's in a position where she can do something about it, so I actually admire her for doing it.

• Members

I am sure MB had a heavy hand in it all, but at the end Ron's GH was a mess.  He built a show around a disgusting DID story with a recast character no one cared about.    He was weirdly attached to making his Oltl actors into other GH characters.  By the time he was done I thought it was a good decision.  Marginalizing Sonny/Jason/Carly and the 50th was great, but other than that I don't think he did anything special for GH.  I think he's a better fit for Days.

As far as KA, I have never liked Hope.  It's crappy to her fans that she won't make an exit after almost 40 years, but I don't necessarily fault her.  It's her choice to leave.  If she felt like it wasn't a good situation then it was time for her to go.  Hope's been basically useless and highly paid for a Days actress for years.   Should she shade Days?  Probably not.  It afforded her the ability to live comfortable and basically retire.  But.....she was a cheerleader for the show for years and years.  

I don't think she should have to be offscreen for 5 months and she has every right to be offended but this is a show that fired the DH's, so is she that shocked lol?  But again she has every right to decline the contract.  It's kinda sad because I think KA/Hope is sort of rudderless without Bo.  In a way that I feel like other female leads are not.  I feel like Marlena or Nicole or Sami can be used on there own in a way Hope never really was.  Besides being a cop.

• Members

I think this interview reveals a bit more.

So the whole chills moment happened the first time Ken told her about the Navy steal story and then Ron and Alarr decided to drop the story and I guess do Gina again.

Based on this interview I got a feeling that she did not like this (she mentions questioning the story, which I guess Ron did not like). So when they suggested again to do the Navy seal story and that she will have to be off for 5 months before doing the story (on top of being off now for months due to covid and also before covid when they were released from contact, she realized that it is a lot of month not working) and knowing Ron already dropped the story once, she decided it was not worth it.

What I think now is that maybe she had a fallout with Ron (which was clear by Ron shady tweats) and maybe she is doing this to push Ken to make Ron to leave. I really think she would return to finish Hope's story if Ron was not there. As you say, GH people pushed for Ron to be fired, so she might be doing the same. She did say here that fans will not like what is coming, which means also she did not like, so I think this is about her and Ron fallout. 

• Members

Why is it that when his shows are bad people always cape for Ron and blame everything else and attack the actors?

Don't get me wrong, Mo Benard and Geary had plenty of their own sins to account for. But Ron got fired off GH bc his GH overall sucked by the end. He's a talented writer in doses but his weaknesses were fully exposed. His DAYS is a mess. He may have good stories in mind that get cut off or changed, but he has plenty of his own bad ones and bad choices. People need to stop blaming actors for "shade" and saying he can fire off passive aggressive tweets and comments, but whine and cry whenever anyone else critiques him. I remember Jamey Giddens in his less mature days having a total meltdown over this, basically acting like Stalin in the Kremlin accusing the actors of disloyalty for going to the brass about Ron's show in 2015. He was fired in '15 because the show sucked - period. And I say this as someone who was Ron Carlivati's first cheerleader before any of those people in 2007. I was there before all of y'all. His OLTL made me believe in it again, until it got very bad, but he still took it off the air fairly strong compared to other cancelled soaps despite huge problems. He helped save GH from the axe but it also got very bad. He's probably a good man but he is a product of the daytime infrastructure like anyone else. Stop pretending he cannot be critiqued and cannot be called on systemic racism, misogyny, etc. in his work like any other creative.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yeah, just because I commented that Maurice and Geary complained doesn’t mean I give him a pass.  The complaints were warranted, and he was fired for good reasons.  His GH was at its peak ratings wise during the Robin is alive era from what I recall, and the only reason it had a payoff was due to Kimberly not being available.  They had to keep stalling it (you know, what used to be a soap staple of long form storytelling), because she wasn’t there for a wrap up.

His early OLTL and GH was pretty entertaining and focused on new characters and vets.  Then things get silly, and loose focus because he likes over the top and often bad camp over structure and details.

I don’t watch regularly enough to know if his DAYS run has had any of the peaks that his OLTL and GH did.

Also- why does Alfonso owe fans anything besides the gratitude she has expressed?  She fulfilled her contract.  It’s not her fault the show has this insane filming schedule, and a writer that doesn’t want to utilize her unless it’s for bad doppelgänger stories.  These shows are corporations, and they may be well paid, but they are working in a factory now, and we cannot imagine what the burnout or frustration rate is.  Even soap actors want to be able to connect emotionally.

• Members

His first year or so was good, but then he burned out pretty quickly. Too many psychos, too much back from the dead. After a while it got really tiresome. The beginning of this year was on its way to being similar to his final year at GH, which was a mess, but these current episodes have been good. The new characters seem like they’re in it for the long haul, not just some crappy plot that’s going to be over in a few months, and I also feel like the writing for a lot of characters, particularly Steve and Kayla has gotten better too. 

• Members

Kimberly was available more than people realize. They delayed the final ending to that story (not 2013, but later when Robin left again) because of Ron and Frank's convoluted story plans, not hers. Frank also allegedly tried to recast Robin with Rebecca Budig in '15, before that got shut down, Ron got canned and they had to finally bring it all to a swift end.

• Members

In my lil opinion, I think the strong majority of longtime soap actors stopped giving an eff about the integrity of the writing a good decade ago. It's work. It's a paycheck. It's a familiar family of co-workers putting on a once-great show on a dime-store budget. Longtime characters have their established history which is treasured, and newer characters aren't given a strong base in the first place. 

I'd be interested in knowing Drake Hogestyn's feelings on the stuff rewritten for John's history yet again in 2016 with the guy from the Saw movies as his dad, as Drake was always very passionate about John's history, timeline, etc.  But who knows? Maybe at this point, it's just a shrug and an "okay, sure." 

I think the only person I recall in recent years being upset over a story decision was when Alison Sweeney was deeply disappointed they killed off Will (which of course has been reversed -- thanks Dr. Rolf!) 

• Members

It just kills me how KA mispronounces Ron's name every time. She called him Harvilati in these last two interviews.

Please register in order to view this content

This is GREAT P.R. for her and her exit. She's handling it perfectly.