Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Soap audiences understand that recasts are part of the deal. They would be essentially disposing of ages of wonderful history by catering to the insecurities of actors. (It’s not like Terry Lester can come back and steal his role.)

If PB does indeed have a problem with it, too bad, so sad. Soaps that have been around for decades are bigger than any one actor. And I think PB is very talented and have enjoyed him immensely in the past.

• Members

They’d be fools NOT to show episodes from the first 10 years of the show. THOSE years are what I think of when referring to “Classic Y&R”. They could easily show the good ol’ days of BD’s ‘73-‘80 run as Jill and show her and JC’s best episodes together in those 7 years (there’s an episode from April 12, 1978 where Jill attacks Kay with a letter opener but misses her). Two episodes would make a whole hour’s worth of a timeslot. They could also show some good stuff from ‘83 of Lauren and Tracy’s rivalry, Dina being revealed as Madame Mergeron, Jack getting shot by Patty, Jill and Jack in the cabin, the episode(s) where Kay makes Jill faint and the aftermath where she finds out she’s pregnant. I honestly would be truly shocked if they showed any episodes from the first 10 years, which is a shame since so many other soaps have done that. 

And as for Terry Lester, he was/is a better Jack than PB will EVER be. 

Edited by ltm1997

• Members

Brenda Epperson and Heather Tom should be in the 1991 episode, so they're not totally opposed to showing other actors in familiar roles, but my guess is that they won't choose episodes where the focus is on actors that are no longer there. I really hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking the only reason they picked Paul and Christine's honeymoon is because Michelle Stafford is back. I have a feeling if they want to show a classic episode with Dina they'll try to find one with both Peter Bergman and Eileen Davidson, which will eliminate almost all the good stuff from the 80s and 90s. 

• Members

That’s a shame if that’s they way they’re really planning on deciding which ones to show. I mean Katherine was a HUGE part of the show and I can’t think of any good reason why they wouldn’t want to include her, or any other former big character from the first 10 years. I mean, they showed V&N’s 1984 wedding and Kay and Derek were there. Along with others that aren’t there anymore. 

Edited by ltm1997

• Members

I agree with you. It's a real insult to the intelligence of the audience if they think people won't understand that the show had some different actors 30 years ago. And I highly doubt most of the viewers have only started watching in the last 10 years.

• Members

Right!! And if some viewers are confused, they could easily look up the character(s) mentioned in said episode on Google. There are lots of ways to be able to understand what was going on during those days in these advanced times in technology. 

• Members

When was this, and is it online?

I miss Terry Lester even to this day. Besides Y&R and As The World Turns, I also watched him as a celebrity player on Dick Clark's $25000/$100000 Pyramid and he was really good at the game. It's unfortunate that he left Y&R under a not so ideal situation; part of me wished that he would somehow return to Y&R but it wasn't meant to be sadly.

• Members

This was at least a year ago. Maybe even two years ago. I'm not a member of Facebook but I think either someone posted it or tweeted it. In any case, Facebook allows access to many of their videos to non-members. It might have been on the CBS or Sony Facebook page.

• Members

Terry Lester was iconic in the role of Jack. I know that word is overused but it's true in this case. He inhabited that character body and soul and in a multi-dimensional way. His voice was hypnotizing without being overly hammy. And interestingly on a dialogue-heavy show like Y&R, TL did not let that dialogue express the emotion for him. Some of his strongest moments were his silence but where you could almost read Jack's thoughts flit across his face and in his eyes. You cared even though you might not want to because he was such a rake.

Lester was a significant talent who would have had no trouble holding his own on Primetime or in film.

Edited by Cat