Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Maybe they will

Please register in order to view this content

Lord Doug Davidson's stans are so thirsty. Everything has to be about him.

Based on the second link it seems like Tracey thinks they will be going to M-W with classics on Thurs/Fri. That really makes the most sense. Maybe they ease into it.

And honestly ... if this is what it takes to keep the soaps around in the future ... do it this way.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Didn't ABC do something called "Daytime to Remember" after they cancelled maybe "Loving/The City?' I think they rotated classic episodes of the Big Three shows. Maybe I'm dreaming, but  I couldn't sworn someone mentioned it after AMC/OLTL axed and that it did well in ratings. OC, that would've been different era and pre-YouTube. 

• Members

Yes it was A Daytime to Remember in 1997 before Port Charles debuted. They did half hour edits I believe. 

http://ackleyva.tripod.com/daytime.html

That fan link explains it but only lists what GH was airing. I'm sure there's probably a better resource.

I'd be all for soaps airing M-W and airing classic episodes on Thurs/Fri. 

Edited by KMan101

• Webmaster

Yup. Hosted by Reba McEntire, the show was quite popular and was the go-between the cancellation of "The City" and the launch of "Port Charles." As noted by KMan101, they were 30-minute editions of classic episodes of the ABC soaps, "All My Children," "General Hospital" and "One Life to Live." Reba introduced key moments during each break as a way to help explain away the heavily edited out material since it was just a half-hour version of the shows.

I really enjoyed them and was saddened when it was over. "Port Charles" was alright, but it was never, to me, as good as "Loving" or the other ABC soaps at the time.

Only Y&R is currently confirmed to be airing a non-original on Friday (awaiting official word from CBS on what it is they'll air), but I would imagine they must be thinking of following the British shows to some extent. While Mon-Wed makes the most sense, scheduling wise, CBS might opt to do what the British broadcasters have done and just air as little as two episodes per week. By RC Cates' comments, the show only has 15 episodes left, including this week. That only takes us to 5 weeks of shows if Mon-Wed, but we know the show will air Mon-Thur this week, which leaves us with even less.

• Members

@Errol @KMan101 Thanks for the background! CBS should definitely consider heavily editing 'classic' episodes of Y&R - the unfortunate nature of a regular soap episode is that it contains B&C stories that often were at an uninteresting stage and/or featuring long-forgotten characters when compared with the 'A' story, which is the reason it was selected for re-airing.  It sounds like ABC recognized that and came up with a solution that resonated with the audience. 

Another option for Y&R (and GH) would be to split the remaining new episodes into 30-minutes, but that's highly unlikely. The network could fill the other 30-minutes with news. 

• Webmaster

I believe the episodes will be edited, but only to supplant it with different music (due to music rights issues) and to accommodate current commercial time standards.

The issue with reducing to half-hour to help extend the shows is what the air the other half-hour. Plus, do you air the new episode at the top of the hour or the back half? They don't want to lose viewers, so it'll be a tough call on what they eventually decide and how to promote it so that viewers don't get confused.

Tonight marks the beginning of reduced scheduling for the British soaps so we'll soon hear how their fans react.

• Members

I'd be upset if they purposely edited out the B and C stories. I think ABC only did that for A Daytime to Remember because they only had a 30-minute timeslot - they had no choice but to edit the hour-long (and 45-minute) episodes. With this, I would hope CBS keeps as much in tact as possible and only edits for commercials and for the hopefully quick interstitials.

You can find A Daytime to Remember-broadcast classic eps on YouTube complete with Reba's intros. To me, the highlight of the whole run had to be Kevin's 1976 birth on OLTL. I believe it's only the second-oldest episode of the show that anyone these days has access to.

• Members

Agreed.  I hope they'll only cut out what's needed for commercials and a short introduction, though I wish they'd post the entire uncut episode online (but I'm sure they won't).  The show had incredible pacing back then and the B and C stories were usually there to balance or build up the tension in the A story.  

@Soapsuds @Cruising Soaps Here is the video of Lauren being found buried alive.