Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Exactly the issue. However, they could license them to CAA since Y&R is established there. I'm sure some of the continued issues with 'classic' soap episodes (meaning pre-2000) has to do with music rights as well. Considering they are talking about August start for sports, except for DAYS, soaps are going to vanish - the networks aren't going to air soap repeats forever. ABC will add an hour of news and CBS will slot game shows. 

• Members

I was speaking specifically as to why I think Sony/Y&R wouldn't want to stream on YouTube.

I think if even Y&R were to permanently go off the air, say, this summer, they'd be more inclined to sell/stream seasons on a digital platform (especially if they could get paid for it) than P&G ever was with their soaps because unlike P&G's most celebrated soaps, Y&R has its full library of episodes from Day 1 preserved and intact, no missing episodes.

It's a good point you make about not having enough current episodes to fill their time by the end of spring but CBS has that All Access platform so should they wish to stream classic episodes, there is a ready-made platform. There will probably be complaining as there always is among some soap fans who want their soaps delivered on network television but for the rest that are glued to Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ and the like, if they haven't completely dropped the soaps, they'd probably be open to watching some classics on a streaming platform.

• Members

CBS All Access has the first 25 episodes of B&B in a separate collection. I never understood the purpose of having it there. Either continue adding episodes, or make it a place for classics where you can have special series. "FIrst 25 episodes," "Best Weddings," Best Catfights" etc. Of course that's more than Y&R has gotten from them. I do wonder why only B&B has that and why it's those episodes.

• Members

@DramatistDreamer Yes, I was referring to CAA. It seems like that would be the paid platform that would be best for Y&R. It's no different than Hulu or Netflix - they charge a monthly fee. Granted it's smaller, but it is relevant for Y&R seeker because Y&R and CBS are associated closely together. Of all times to push older soap fans (clearly the group that's most streaming apprehensive), this would be it. And Sony has proven to be quite savvy with streaming DAYS. Y&R should be easy for them. Honestly, just get Y&R and B&B, both of which have complete libraries somewhere.

Speaking of P&G, a few months ago, I did a calculation and P&G likely has the largest single library of content than any other 'studio.' Just ATWT/GL have at least 16,000 combined episodes (from 1978). Throw in AW, SFT, EON, Texas. That's a lot of money just being squandered. I've never understood the reluctance to distribute those shows on a widespread basis. 

• Members

P&G’s focus is on consumer packaged goods - that’s their business. Distributing their soap opera library no longer services that core business, so it’s not on their radar or priority list. As a soap fan it sucks, but I totally understand that these shows were never meant to be a core part but of their business operations. They were created to service their core business but obviously can’t anymore and didn’t do that very well by the 2000’s.

At the same time, they’re not selling that library of content to anyone else, but, that assumes anyone has even even tried to buy it from them in recent years. It’s not like P&G is totally against selling off parts of their business. They’ve divested a lot over the past decade - namely selling huge chunks of their beauty business to Coty Inc.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I think the costs outdo the benefits!

In order to release such an extensive library, you also need to watch the episodes or somehow review them. As mentioned, there could be music rights issue. But also: maybe part of the content is not PC by today's standards and could expose the company to a lawsuit of sorts. Finally, should they pay royalties to the actors? It's just a couple of examples off the top of my head, but I think the whole ordeal would turn into a nightmare.

• Members

The odd thing is that I think most of the first few years of B&B is actually digitalised at this point - Viaplay here used to at least have classic Bold and Beautiful episodes from the early years streaming for a while. So I just think they're sitting there waiting to be exploited.

Edited by te.

• Members

Agreed!

To be fair though the real highlight of the episode watching it this time around was that scene where Katherine greets John & Jill. Dickson really shines in that moment, cowering behind John, having an irritated expression, and looking away/not making eye contact, and acting surprised when spoken to. Even if it was just 30 seconds you could feel the hate so much!

• Members

True, I felt like Brenda really always carried the history of Jill with her in almost every scene. 

I would even be happy if they just put up all the 30min episodes from 73 - 80. Though would love 73 - 94, my absolute favourite period, even with the less than stellar 80 - 82 era

• Members

Oh yes, I would also LOVE for them to put up all episodes from '73-'80 as well! I only want to see 1980 because of Brenda's first departure being on January 9th of that year, and I also want to see more episodes with Bond Gideon playing Jill. And 1983 is one of the best years of the show in my opinion so that's why I said the first 10 years. I agree with you, though, about '80-'82 being a boring period of time. Even if they just uploaded a category called "The Best of 'Classic' Kay and Jill", where they upload every scene those two had together from the first 10 years would be satisfactory for me. Personally, I'm tired of seeing episodes and edits pop up considering the Brooks family. I want more of The Chancellors/Fosters from the first 7 years.

• Members

Haha I love that clip so much...it's great how BD can tell a lot about Katherine and Jill's relationship with just that annoyed expression. Of course it sort of reminds me of BD's last couple months where she would constantly use that look and not make eye contact with her co-stars...LOL