Actors & Actresses who were Divas/Difficult on their soap sets

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

LH and VP didn;t hate each other. In fact, Larry was the one who offered to take less money the year Victoria left DALLAS. SHE has stories about her diva behavior on set.....once, when she once again showed up two hours late on set, a bundle of dead roses were placed in her trailer with a note that said "these were alive two hrs ago." she didn;t show up late for the remainder of her run.

• Members

I am positive I read that they didn't get along. She didn't go to his memorial when he died. Larry taking less money I find hard to believe too....LOL....I know Victoria wanted a certain amount and she was offered less and she left. I thought she had left on her own....they did the same with Linda Gray two years later by not paying her and writing her out. Once Linda left the show was just terrible. There was no one left....with Victoria and Linda gone the show felt very empty. 

• Members

I don't know if it's fair to call Larry, Joan, and Jane divas on the set. They were the undisputed stars of their shows, and always brought the goods. 

Larry was loyal to so many of his cast mates and while he always fought like a lion for the best salary and minority ownership in the show, along with his alcoholism, which might not have made him easy, he was a big hearted person. He lobbied to get Donna Reed fired, sure, but that was because he wanted Barbara Bel Geddes back. 

Joan had to deal with John Forsythe's bullsh*t, propped by the Linda Evans vs. Joan feud that Elaine Rich fed to the tabloids, for 8 seasons, while she knew damn well she made that show happen. While it's undisputed that Joan is forthright, the director of Dynasty, Irving Moore, said she was the easiest actress to direct and the younger cast all speak well of Joan (particularly Catherine Oxenberg, Michael Nader, John James, Emma Samms, Jack Coleman) and of course Diahann Carroll and Joan were firm friends. Even Gordon Thomson, who always has a sharp opinion at the ready, speaks warmly of Joan. Ali MacGraw said that when she joined the show people told her Joan wouldn't give her a second glance, but she said Joan was the most generous scene partner she had, would be on set for her off-camera lines and that she loves her. 

Jane was a professional and very private. It always impressed me that Lorenzo Lamas, sort of the classic playboy mess, whose in on the joke, praised her constantly.  

Those are amazing stories about Jeanne and the behind the scenes at the Bell soaps. 

I would say, unequivocally, that I would prefer MTS giving a clear direction than Flannery belittling people just because she could. At least with MTS, you know where you stand, and most people can deal with clear directions. But from what you've described with Flannery, it would be like walking on eggshells. That would be terrible. 

• Members

there were quite a few instances where LH wanted to take less money to keep people on the show....and the time he almost quit the show because Leonard Katzman fired Linda Gray because she wanted to direct. LH and VP had a working relationship, but SHE came off as a diva at times until other cast members put her in her place. listen to an interview she did with Dallas Fanzine where she goes in dept about her time on the show and why she quit.

• Members

Tony Geary- GH

On Steve Burton’s podcast, he often recalls his first day and watching Tony kick a door open and throw a fit.  There was the rumored fight with Richard Culliton that may or may not have included getting physical.  He hated Labine’s writing, didn’t respect Wendy Riche, called Ron Carlivati “the writer”, and fought for years to keep his line re-writing in his contract.  He is why Luke and Laura never reunited.

This is just the stuff we know.  Although I think his kind of diva attitude wasn’t towards his peers as much as those producing and writing the show.  Even when he was leaving, he spoke very highly of Genie, just not Luke and Laura.