Y&R May 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am continue to really enjoy the New Adam. He is sexy and has a strong, natural presence. I liked his scenes with Victoria and BIlly today. Including when he first "met" her and tried to get closer to her, but Billy put a stop to him getting closer. And I wonder if him and Abby will bond, since once again Abby feels like an outsider of the family. They really should have told her about Adam being alive. She should have been at the family meeting at Nick's house, instead of being excluded. She is his sister as well and him returning does have an impact on her.

Rey is starting to feel a bit more like a stray character. (With Mia and Arturo kind of facing off against him and Mia wanting to put distance between them even if Rey is the father of the baby. And Sharon starting to spend more and more time with Adam.) Though I do believe he will continued to be featured. And I think that:

Please register in order to view this content

And Nate is sexy and appealing. I'm fine with him and Abby being paired romantically, but I would like to see the show do more with his character overall. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

I’m kind of confused right now. When Hartley was in the role of Adam, I thought all the Newman’s stopped hating him. What changed? It’s like they’ve erased the Hartley period and are only focusing on the Muhney and latter Engen periods of the character.

• Members

I would love this but I don't feel Ordway can pull any romantic pairing. I don't think there has been one person that I liked her with.  My brain SCREAMS recast when I see her, but I don't know who they should replace her with.  I'd love the first Gabby on Days (Gabriela Rodriguez) or someone else as a Lola recast though. I can't sit through any scene she is in.

• Members

Watched today for the first time since the KSJ Memorial- and see Old Man Victor Manipulating everyone to protectttttt the familehhhhh!!!  Yawn.  Will tune in next month.  Eric Braeden needs to go. 

• Members

Hmmmm... wasn't he horrible? I swear his acting was just... not good. I remember he had acting roles when he was Miley's boyfriend and I was less than impressed.  I remember he was ushered out the door fairly quick on Days (then again... was that intended to be a short stint) and he was laughable as John Stamos/Uncle Jesse on that Full House Lifetime movie.

I'm not always here for married couples, I though Amelia & Thad were horrid on-screen and they went/go home to each other every night (although I'm unsure if they ever got that divorce or not).

• Members

I agree that Justin Gaston was stilted and robotic on DAYS. Great looking guy, but no actor. I hope Abby is about done turning Nate down, though. That’s getting ridiculous and awkward. I don’t agree at all that Amelia and Thad were lousy together. I thought they had great chemistry.

Victor? I like the way he’s written under Josh, and his scenes with Adam are great. Braeden is still needed. 

I think Beth Maitland and Daniel Goddard are working just fine, and I’m willing to give them a chance. There’s so much DG hate here, but I think it’s over the top. Maybe I’ve softened towards Goddard a bit because he was so genuine and sad about Kristoff’s death. I think he’s a decent guy. He’s not the greatest actor and he’s had some bad writing, but he’s not the disaster so many say he is.

• Members

That Thom Bierdz clip was incredibly sad. I truly hope he gets help.

New Adam is pretty good.

Not sure where this Cane/Traci story is going, but I hope it doesn't lead back to Lily.

Edited by StepBack

• Members

I actually sat through this week's shows. 

Observations:

NuAdam is a big fail. Nothing against the actor; but he's too young for the role and a lightweight. Can't hold up against the vets. Plus the story intro is so lifeless (hallmark Griffith).

Jason Thompson should get an award for making any scene work.  He's such a skilled (underrated actor).

If they think a Kyle/Lola/Summer is the hot thing. NO.  I know B&B has success giving botox starlets the lead stories but the actress playing Summer is painful to watch.  Those lips, chin the whole cosmetically engineered package doesn't work.  Actress playing Lola is bland/weak. Kyle can run around naked and I'd watch but otherwise, not so sure.

Not sure why Griffith decided to give Traci a story, and I'd like to be excited but this one is downright laughable.  Even Beth can't pull off the dream sequences.

Overall, the show is returning to Griffith's boring, slow pacing but it does have hints of the repetitive, slow Bill Bell style. Some of the new background music is good.

The scripts are highly uneven. Lynn Martin's are the worst.  She's no Susan Dansby.  I guess it's cool that CBS has deigned to hire one black writer to replace Susan. I mean it is the 21st century. But Lynn wasn't the best choice.

Josh Morrow needs a long sabbatical.  His scenes this week were cringeworthy.

NuNate is a superstar. Reminds me of when Paul Rauch hired Taye Diggs on GL.  But Abby? No.  

And why are the megawealthy children of the scion families running tacky supper clubs. Underground and Social.  Lily ran the club etc.  Lazy writing. 

CBS just never got it that Griffith isn't Doug Marland. How does this guy get hired and rehired multiple times?  Steve Kent?

• Members

Say what you want about the stories, but the set decoration and design has improved markedly. I love the redecorated tack house. They finally got rid of the hideously distracting “contemporary” blinds in Jack’s Jabot office.

Griffith is better than everyone since MAB other than SSM. I think that he and SSM share the same problem: stories need more momentum, dramatic heat, etc., etc.  This is where you need a co-HW who is a plotter like Hogan Sheffer.  I recognize the characters and still enjoy them, but I need greater incentive to tune in and engage with the show.

• Members

I don’t think nuAdam is a fail at all. In fact, I think Mark Grossman was great in this first week of episodes. Seamless recasting with good family character interactions.

The show looks great great and sounds great, too.

i see some viewers are already here with the  “Josh Griffith is boring” crap. That’s how they sank SSM. Those two write character and not plot. Viewers were tired of plot garbage with Mal, and now it’s time to rip on Josh for strong character writing.

There is no winning with some people.

Btw, you had a big plot moment to end Friday’s show when Adam was shot. If we didn’t know about it ahead of time because of damn spoilers and Twitter and social media, that would’ve been a huge surprise.

i am in favor of returning to the no spoiler days when everything was a secret until it aired. We know way too much before we see it.

• Members

I think you need both plot and character writing to make a strong soap, there should be a balance. The problem is, Y&R has hired people who fail miserably at both - and Griffith has failed during several stints at this show already. Much like Dena Higley at DAYS

The character writing, IMO, is also pretty bad and inconsistent on this show. They're seemingly ignoring parts of JH's Adam right now, the Rosales family continues to be a huge waste with almost no potential (they would probably be better off writing out Rey and Lola too), Sharon seems like an idiot, the Newman kids are all over the place, etc. These are not strong or interesting characters right now, IMO. 

Edited by BetterForgotten