Y&R May 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lola looks terrible for planning to sleep/fantasize sleeping with a married Kyle. She doesn't have any sort of morals when it comes to this, which is strange, especially considering how the show browbeat the audience about her morals, for months when her and Kyle were together. The scenes she had today when she fantasizes about what could go wrong when her and Kyle tried to make love, could have been cute scenes. But considering the situation he is and that she contributed heavily to it, by dumping him multiple times/not accepting him, sours those scenes.

What could have been a special moment is tainted because of the way she treated Kyle, which ultimately help lead to him marrying Summer. And her not having any sort of guilt about sleeping with him, knowing that Summer loves him. It would be one thing if Lola had been written as a vixen this whole time, but she hasn't been and has been painted as a saint. IMO because of things like that, the scenes don't work and Kyle/Lola finally getting together to make love feels wrong.

I also am not already liking the start of this Ana/Tessa/Mariah storyline. Mariah already looks like she's about to cry because she isn't getting a lot of say-so in Tessa's career. It's only the first day of this storyline and she's already acting like this. This behavior doesn't even seem to fit Mariah. It would make more sense if she was just supportive. She should be more focused on her own career/running GC Buzz. They did mention the brick throwing incident. Maybe that would turn into something bigger. I think that would be a better storyline to do with Mariah and Tessa. Ana can still produce Tessa's music, but should have a better storyline.

I honestly wonder if Josh is just throwing all three of them together, to say he's giving them something to do. He hasn't given Ana much of anything to do and Tessa and Mariah weren't doing too much not too long ago. They had Tessa blackmailing the women, but that was about it. It seemed around the time that came out, they dealt with it and then they were barely seen for a bit. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

@xtr

Has any character done a 180 recently like Mariah? She's unrecognizable as a timid lapdog. That's not Mariah. She hasn't had that spunk and 'don't give a crap' attitude in ages. Even when she was telling Sharon about the feelings she was having for Tessa (who I think was with Noah at the time?), it was still layers of the original Mariah.

• Members

I'm not sure. But the way she was acting today really didn't seem like her. She really was looking like she was going to cry on multiple occasions. After Ana was talking about changing up Tessa's image/look she looked like that. And then when Ana told her that she shouldn't come over to the studio and that Tessa should just be there with the musicians. After that happened she got into the elevator looking like she wanted to cry again. That doesn't seem like something she should be doing. She just needs to be supportive and focus more on own career. But I think that Josh may have mainly wanted to write this storyline so he could throw Ana/Mariah/Tessa together and act like he's really doing something with them. But it doesn't sound like's it's going to be much good.

I think they would be better off abandoning that storyline and do more with the brick throwing situation. Maybe Mariah can be shown at GC buzz and she starts to receive threats there or something. I think that would be more interesting than her looking like she wants to cry because Ana suggests that Tessa dye her hair a different color.

• Members

The other terrible thing is how hard they're trying to make Cane happen by having BOTH Jill and Traci look after him like he's some little child. I'd rather both characters be off the show than having to sit through this sh!t. 

Cane hasn't been a viable character for close to 15 years. LET IT GO ALREADY. IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. 

• Members

Something about this Griffith/Morina regime strikes me as extremely temporary - until they can find other garden variety hacks to take on this show. The overall show is just so boring and safe - I give this regime a year tops before they're canned for the next round of lackluster 'talent.'

• Members

I wonder if Dina will end up being put into a care facility, being that her doctor mentioned that to Jack today. I wonder if her condition will continue to worsen and that will happen. 

Also, I liked the Summer/Nick scenes today and continue to dislike Kyle and Lola as a couple. Their love scenes felt wrong and dull, especially considering the circumstances and what led up to it.

Also, here is a nice picture of some of the cast from the Daytime Emmy nominees reception that was held last night:

• Members

Good, Gina was well-loved by the cast and crew - and that says something on a show like Y&R where that type of adoration is not always given. I will always appreciate her work as Phyllis and for making the character viable again. I don't think Y&R realizes how successful a recast Gina ended up being. 

I am not looking forward to Stafford trying to play an extension of her own self again (I hope I am proven wrong). Stafford did deliver some great years as Phyllis, but totally tanked the character after that initial Phick pairing. By the time she left the last time around, I was willing to never see that character again. Gina totally gave her new life, and made Phyllis feel like a real human again. She was also VERY committed to making the material work, while I always found Stafford to phone it in when the material wasn't what she wanted to play. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I like Abby but I definitely didn't like how she was practically begging Lola for details about her and Kyle's love life. She was way too giddy trying to get details about that even, going so far as to say it was "cruel" for Lola to withhold details regarding their night of love making. I didn't like to see Abby act like that. I also didn't like Kyle saying that Lola was "perfect" and characters still treating her like a saint even though she slept with a married man. And is now flaunting it in Summer's face when she kissed Kyle in front of Summer at Jabot. Lola is propped way too much, more than anyone on the show IMHO. She has behaved poorly but is still praised and not called out for her behavior from hardly anyone (Summer being an exception).

I don't like Kyle and Lola as couple, and their pairing IMO now seems grimy especially the way that Lola doesn't seem to have any regret for sleeping with a married man. She acts like she is entitled to sleep with a married man. And I didn't like her saying she wanted to scratch Summer's eyes out today, even though Lola is Kyle's mistress.

Also, I liked seeing Rebekah Barlowe again. I think she is interesting. I liked her scenes at the end with Nick. I could see her maybe coming back and staying around, and mixing it up with Nick, Jack, Billy, Sharon, Phyllis. She has an interesting vibe about her.

Edited by xtr

• Members

That’s exactly  why I’m not looking forward to her coming back at all. I will always have a distain for Phyllis but Gina did her job and made the character her own.....Stafford will just stomp all over that set thinking she’s the queen.