Y&R May 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

On ABC, Rama, Vimal, Vimal's sister and parents all made appearances on the show.  Only Rama and Vimal made it onto the 2.0 version and I barely remember Vimal being on there as he seemed pretty marginalized.  It seemed like it was mostly Rama flirting with Cutter in the TOLN version.

• Members

Aw. Gina was so well liked.

Please register in order to view this content

Would love to be a fly on the wall when La Staff strolls back onto set ... funny how Gina was well liked by the Y&R cast and Stafford seemed well liked by the GH cast ... lol. This was all so bizarre ...

• Members

Admittedly, it was a subplot and they didn't have much airtime in only the 30-40 episodes produced, but it presented Vimal as a virile male who was flourishing in an open marriage. On ABC he was the sexless, goofy husband Rama ran around on while trying to bag Cristian; they only reunited (and fixed her character) towards the end when DF left the show. They both had more dimension on 2.0 to me and it was a small step in the right direction.

• Members

This storyline with Ana/Tessa in the studio, feels like mostly nothing right now. I wonder where they are going on here, because it's not that interesting. And it really feels like Josh is just doing this just to so he can say is using Ana in some capacity. It feels like a waste of Loren's Lott's talent/ the character.

Maybe they will do more with whoever is stalking Mariah, which would the more interesting storyline to focus more on. Mariah was looking at a threatening text today.

Also, the show did give a little more information about Elena' today. He mother was named Monica and Elena feels guilty that she wasn't around when her mother fell and died. Maybe they will start to flesh out Elena more.  They did have her interact with Mariah today, though Mariah initiated the exchange and admitted she did because she's overprotective of Devon.

And Sharon was pretty emotional when Victor told Adam was alive and wanted her to help jog his memory back. Victor was laying it on her, to try and get her to help with Adam. Nick now knows as well, and seemed concerned and testy that Sharon may help Adam. It looks like we may have three men in Sharon's orbit (Rey, Adam, Nick) for her to interact/deal with.

• Members

I think Rey will end up being odd man out. I guess they could find someone to pair him with but I think Jordi will be out of job at some point. Just a hunch, even though they seemed to make a big deal in saying "he's staying". (They weren't going to be able to axe all four Rosales at once ... and dumped the schemer and the nobody, easy outs, even though Mia could have had potential, if written better). Rey, Lola and Mia all could have had more potential ... now Lola just feels like she's serving a storyline purpose for the time being. And the writing for her is all over the place. Mal had her bitching at Kyle for an 'expensive purse' yet now she's banging a married man? I think the actress could play a better bitch than heroine. She had potential ... but viewers checked out pretty quickly on her.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I actually like Sharon and Rey,  (Rey is the only Rosales that I like)  I do wonder what happens with them and the character of Rey. Nick was acting testy and upset that Sharon would be interacting with Adam again on today's show. He seemed more concerned about that, than how Adam's return will affect him raising Christian as his own. (And Sharon did point out to him, that she understands that this will affect him raising Christian. But he brushed it aside and focused more on her interacting with Adam.) Nick was also acting like he felt that Adam would take advantage of Sharon and their past connection to each other, even with Adam suffering the memory loss. 

Rey was also trying to find out more about Sharon's past with Adam, and Sharon told him that she was happy being in her new relationship with him and wanted that to continue to go well. I do believe that Adam coming back will bring discord and will uproot things for people, including Sharon.

But maybe he won't be as involved in her orbit once:

Please register in order to view this content

And then it will just be her and Rey and maybe Nick later on.

Edited by xtr

• Members

KMan101,

Regarding your comments about the Rosales, I do agree that Mia could have had more potential. But I think they were doing too much with her early on and that hurt the character. I did find it amusing they way she was interacting with Jack at the opening of Society's dinner, and trying to get him to take a romantic interest on her. He passed of course on that but I thought that was more fun/entertaining than the really abrasive/strong way they introduced her in. She could have worked as a vixen, but I think they wrote too OTT in the beginning and it hurt her.

I think that Arturo was okay until they had him judge/threaten to beat up Kyle for caring about Lola. And then he went downhill even further when he cheated on Abby by sleeping with Mia again.

Lola is a mess. I don't know how that character can be fixed at this point. She is an incredibly judgmental person who is hailed by a saint and who constantly mistreated her boyfriend. A boyfriend she cursed at for buying her an expensive purse and who she constantly degraded. And now she decides to sleep with him after he marries another woman. And he and other people are still referring to her as "perfect." It's ridiculous.

She doesn't work as heroine, but she can't be a vixen either, one big reason because the characters (sans Summer) don't call her out for her bad behavior. She gets away with doing whatever she wants and is heavily propped. More than anyone IMO. It was cringeworthy the other day seeing Abby literally begging her for the sexual details of her and Kyle's first time together. Just ew. Lola has become slimy (in addition to being very unlikeable), IMO, yet she's really not called out by anybody except Summer.

Rey is the only that's actually likeable, IMO.

Edited by xtr

• Members

I agree that the 2.0 version presented a more flattering portrayal of Vimal in particular.  Neither one presented a full nuanced portrayal of what an Indian family could be, but perhaps, as you said, time may have been a factor.  Soaps, even at their best, have usually been horrible in how they apportion their storylines to character development.

• Members

Rama & her Husband were on 2.0 OLTL but the sister that dated jack in the final ABC Months were not

I wonder if they were gonna end Dorian & David & put him with Rama

Edited by John

• Members

Neither were Vimal's parents, who made appearances in the final months on ABC. 

Like I said in the previous post both were lacking in showing a nuanced, full portrayal of what a South Asian-American family could be.  Sad to say that both were far better than anything Y&R offered with the lone Ravi character.