Y&R May 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wish Josh Griffith would do something about Dina's Alzheimer's diagnosis.  They give brain tumors to rapists, wife beaters and psychotic killers on soaps.  Why can't they give one to a matriarchal figure no one wants to see waste away?

Edited by Khan

• Members

I think JG likes every character to have at least one chronic or life-threatening affliction.  That's why Jack has a drinking/drug problem and Nikki has MS (along with a drinking problem).  They should rename this show "The Dying & the Disabled."

Edited by Khan

• Members

I’m down for that. Seeing Tessa sing in Chancellor Park was enough to make me throw up.

The stuff with Neil’s Will was good for the most part, but a couple things were head scratchers.

Jack and Ashley got $500k for Alzheimer’s but Olivia got only $100k for Doctors Without Borders? Uh...ok.

And why give Devon the other half of the company? Doesn’t he have enough money?  I can see putting him in charge, but giving the company to him is absurd.

• Members

Trip...I see what you did there lol

I think Devon got the company because, in essence, it's his company anyway since all the money to start it came from him. But I do agree that there is no story in giving Devon the other 50%. I'd rather have seen Neil challenge Lily to live up to her legacy in the business world. Ain't no conflict in Devon owning the company outright unless Moses will be soras'd soon to come reclaim it. 

• Members

This Josh Griffith and Tony Morina interview about the return of Michelle Stafford sickens me. I think it’s so rude and dismissive of Gina Tognoni. If they think Stafford returns some iconic sensibility to Y&R, they’re nuts.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

It's clearly a PR spin - Stafford didn't come back because Griffith and Morina promised her some amazing story, she came back because GH refused to negotiate any further with her ass and Y&R seized the opportunity to bring her back (wrongly at Gina Tognoni's expense). The fact they dedicated a whole section of that interview to it shows they're doing damage control and didn't expect so many to be upset about Gina Tognoni's firing. 

Gina will get the last laugh when both Morina and Griffith are fired in a year or less...

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Besides, bringing back actors alone won't restore Y&R's "iconic sensibility" (whatever that means).  Y&R could bring back every popular actor and character from day one and it still would be unrecognizable with JG as HW.

Conversely, you could have a Y&R with all NEW actors and characters and it would work just fine as long as you marry Bill Bell and Kay Alden's storytelling approach with John Conboy, Wes Kenney or Ed Scott's production aesthetic. THAT is the iconic (Y&R) sensibility.

Agree.  I'm sure they have Y&R's best interests at heart, but Griffith is especially unsuited to this show.  He's proven as much already.  Twice.

Edited by Khan

• Members

So it looks like Dina will be written off.

Such a waste of the character and actress. Dina should have returned as a kick ass matriach - Marla was up to it and she could have taken the place of Katherine in a sense. (maybe Dina was mentoring a grandson or daughter -Keemo's child as her sidekick) 

Instead Mal pushed the Alzheimer story which wasn't even well told -more an excuse for wacky hijinks than a sensitively told tale as an immaculately groomed Dina popped in and out with no assistance or serious health issues.

• Members

I realize Alzheimer's sufferers CAN wander off if left unattended, but you mean to tell me none of the Abbotts have hired a full-time caregiver to monitor their mother's activities both in and away from the mansion?

• Members

I think that the show is terrific. JG has his weak spots, sure. But the show is the best it has been in the last 10 years except for SSM, MAB, and the last 6 months of Jelly. Writing is basically in character and production values have improved markedly.  Also, Marla Adams could barely walk at the Emmys. What if she is not up for the day to day grind of being the matriarchal figure of this show¿