Jimmy Kimmel Presents Norman Lear's "The Jeffersons" and "All in the Family" Live on ABC

Vee

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I love Justina Machado but I'm not sure I love her enough to sit through Will Ferrell. 

The casting seems very off for me in most of this (although Marisa Tomei as Edith is interesting - Woody Harrelson doesn't have the fire for Archie though), as does having a man who wore blackface well into his career hosting the show. 

• Members

It will be interesting to see which episode of All in the Family and The Jeffersons that they choose to re-create.  I wonder if this is a one time thing, or if they are testing the waters to see if reboots of the series will work, especially givien the launch of the Disney+ streaming service shortly.

Edited by watson71

• Members

This is real and not a delayed April Fools joke? I'm not sure what I even think about this, to be honest.

First instinct is to say: no thank you. And I don't want a parody, which is all the actors would likely do. But who knows? Of course I'll watch. But this wasn't at all needed or necessary. 

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I'll admit my curiosity has been piqued, lol.  I truly have no idea why Norman Lear and Jimmy Kimmel would bother with this now -- but, hey, at least I'll finally know what an AITF or "Jeffersons" episode directed by MTM/Paramount vet Jimmy Burrows is sorta like, lol.

• Members

I think it is such a weird idea because neither series seems to be in regular reruns on non-antenna-driven channels so, how will young people drop into the concept?  I doubt the average 20-year-old knows who Archie Bunker is, let alone recognize a recreation of Archie.  I know the set is at the Smithsonian, but I don't know any other modern reference to the sitcom.  I am intrigued, but I don't think that I am in the target demographic.  

I guess Norman Lear owns everything through his production company, but is CBS going to allow them to use archival footage, or will there be no illusion to the old series?

Also, I'm OK with a live audience but hasn't Rent taught us that the actual show doesn't need to be broadcast live?

Edited by j swift

• Members

I'm surprised they were able to get the green light for this. I'll be watching!

Marissa Tomei is inspired casting. Harrelson is a hick and Archie is pure New York so unsure on that one. Jamie Foxx gonna turn the ham up to 11 with the George Jefferson peacock strut.