Jimmy Kimmel Presents Norman Lear's "The Jeffersons" and "All in the Family" Live on ABC

Vee

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It was great so many people came together last night like they used to when these shows were originally on the air to watch and talk about it. We need more of this. And by this I mean television that gets us talking (not talking about more of this Live thing, but I'm not entirely against a second go around ... though I doubt ratings lightning can strike twice, it's just rare ... the first always gets a huge turnout)

Those ratings translate to 10ish million and a 1.7 in the demo. Not a huge event (but in this day and age, those are big, but reminds me of Roseanne's revival ratings) but shows that an audience IS there to capture. The networks just ... aren't. They're satisified with 2 million and a 0.5 in the demo nowadays ...

Edited by KMan101

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Pretty great.   I also was kinda WTF with the casting of Bentley and with Gloria not being blonde, but I was ok with it.   I would love if they made THE JEFFERSONS back to TV with all of the same casting in the special, probably wouldn't happen esp. with Kerry Washington and Will Farrell.  Heck they could re-cast the Willises and of course, as an on-going series, they'd have to re-cast Florence.   I did think that Wanda Sykes would been a great Florence, but she was good as Louise.   Jamie Foxx as George was spot-on, as was the cast of George's mom and all of the casting on ALL IN THE FAMILY with maybe not Gloria. So glad they brought back Marla Gibbs as Florence, instead of the Latina actress (which would've been a big mistake). 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Episodes such as "Penny's Christmas" only prove my point: Black folks had the talking-back-to-the-actors thing down pat waaaay before "Mystery Science Theater 3000" appropriated and monetized it.

Michael: "What about the new album by Donna Summers?"

First of all, Michael seemed only too happy to suggest to Penny that she buy it for him rather than for Willona -- a coded reference, perhaps, to Ralph Carter's sexual preference? 

Please register in order to view this content

Second, what IS it with us (African-Americans) always adding an "s" to Donna's last name?  It ain't the first time I've heard one of my peeps do that; it's not even the tenth or twentieth!

It's Donna SummER, y'all. No "s".

Edited by Khan

• 1 month later...