Jimmy Kimmel Presents Norman Lear's "The Jeffersons" and "All in the Family" Live on ABC

Vee

• Members

I think you could do a fun FOL limited series - maybe single cam - that shows where the women are now and how their friendship has evolved. But you’d have to have the whole quartet: Blair and Jo’s friendship was so critical to the series. and Nancy McKeon likely wouldn’t do it.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jennifer Aniston was horrible as Blair, which hurt more because Lisa was there and looked amazing. Aniston played Blair as such a careless bitch, and that wasn’t Blair at all. My favorite on FOL was Natalie. She felt the most natural and not trying too hard.

Todd Bridges as the only original cast member from DS standing on that set makes my heart weep so much, but the set looks FANTASTIC.

• Members

I hadn't seen that episode in years but I was watching and thinking, "wasn't the issue about his skin?" With Jon Stewart playing Rocky, of course, I understand why they subbed in headgear.

I thought Gabrielle Union was pretty good and quick-witted. The actress who played Natalie, maybe because I don't really know who she is, but she fit seamlessly into character.

And yes, Todd Bridges, alone onstage, announcing his late co-stars really did make me feel some kinda way. Watching Kevin Hart play Arnold made me think he had great comedic timing and then, I thought about how Gary Coleman was doing this at 10 years old and it reminded me just how talented he was.

• Members

I'm disappointed that Nancy McKeon wasn't there. Mostly because it was a tribute to Norman Lear. Personal reasons aside, when the man that created the show is being honored, you go. She didn't have to talk or be any more than a prop on the set. It's about respect.

I thought JA made an awful Blair. As mentioned upthread, Lisa Whelchel and Kim Fields could have easily slid right into their roles (GU was okay as Tootie). Kathryn Hahn stole the show.  Alison Tolman was good as Natalie

I did not expect to enjoy the Diff'rent Strokes episode, which was a treat. So much better than my expectations.

Ann Dowd's double duty equals twice the memorization, and she owned the role of Charlotte Rae playing Mrs. Garrett.

I teared up listening to Todd Bridges referring to his late castmates.   

• Members

GU was fine, but there’s a fresh-faced innocence and sense of irony that Kim Fields had, and I didn’t think Gabrielle’s more knowing, sardonic take made much of an impression, especially when you had someone like Kathryn Hahn in the cast.

I was worried for John Lithgow’s back with all that lifting of Kevin Hart. Dude is 76 years old.

• Members

It is, that's how I watched it.

The DS episode was great! I think the difference between the two halves is that FOL seemed to be played as a parody where all of these grown-ass people playing teenagers were clearly poking fun at what they were doing. DS was a more sincere tribute to the original series. Maybe it's because they knew they were stepping into roles played by people who are no longer here, idk. It just felt better, and Kevin Hart was a great Arnold.

I'm curious to see where these go. I really want to see a Sanford and Son, but I'm not sure if there is anyone who can truly play those roles. The cast was such a gigantic part of that show. You can't pretend to be those people.

• Members

Saw this and Lisa says this is why Nancy didn't participate

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/news/facts-of-life-live-nancy-mckeon-absence-explained/?fbclid=IwAR15c4Bd6tiI_XFsVWuXT2yXoPS3J6Ek_y4YL_6JraMFIBMb1plnG3yB1lk

Whelchel said that it wasn't that McKeon didn't want to participate, it's simply that she couldn't due to her recent life circumstances. "Nancy was home and they just recently moved and her kids just got into school, so it was difficult for her to make the trip out," Whelchel said of McKeon's absence.

Luckily, she keeps in touch with her former co-stars. "We have a little group thread we call the 'sisters thread,'" she said. She even joked with Bush when he asked how much each star relates to their characters. Bush asked: "How much is Nancy like Jo?" Whelchel dished, "She is as much like Jo as I am like Blair, which is very little!"