Jimmy Kimmel Presents Norman Lear's "The Jeffersons" and "All in the Family" Live on ABC

Vee

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

That's not surprising. Tomei is the only actor who has any type of theatrical experience. 

Jean Stapleton, Carroll O'Connor, Isabelle Sanford and Sherman Hemsley all had extensive experience in the theater.   

Tomei also has an impressive stage resume. 

I haven't watched either of these new live versions but that was my concern all along.  Doing theater for all actors, Hollywood included, used to be a prerequisite. They performed onstage regularly while most of today's actors don't. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Jamie doesn't surprise me that he could manage given his experience performing onstage as a musician.  I just can't imagine Sykes as Louise. Louise had a slightly haughty air, in addition to putting people in their place (namely George) and Sykes doesn't give me any of that, from what I've seen of her.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Sykes didn't have anything that made Louise special. They just showed the original skit they did tonight and Isabel was awesome. Sykes didn't even come close. 

Will Farrell as Tom was just Noooooo.....not good at all. And what was with his white/gray hair?? Tom always had blonde hair. 

• Members

If they hadn't said Tom's name on the show you wouldn't have known....Jackee is always great!

It was nice seeing that small cameo by John Amos during the retrospective special. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Well. That was ... interesting. 

Tomei was the best thing about it. She nailed Edith and Stapleton. She's wonderful. Perfect casting.

The rest were passable to decent.

Foxx did his best Sherman Hemsley. I liked him better than Harrelson as Archie. 

Sykes didn't have the hautiness or energy of Isabel Sanford's Louise but she was passable if you remember early AITF Louise. I can see why they chose her but yeah she'd have been put to better use as Florence (but I know she wouldn't play that role)

It bordered on parody (Frank Lorenzo and Bentley as well as Helen and Tom Willis were like caricatures)

I really don't even know how to feel or what to think. They did an excellent job with the sets.

It's amazing how well the script holds up (EDIT: there's a reason I still watch reruns and the script never feels tired or even dated - which is weird to say because it is in a way - really) and we're still dealing with all of the same issues (which is disappointing), so I appreciate the messages they were trying to convey. 

These shows were so progressive for their time and this kind of thing is severely lacking now. It's not done in a mocking tone or treated as a lecture. That's why the reboot of One Day at a Time worked so well. Timely, funny, and not overly preachy (IMO) while still delivering a timely message.

Edited by KMan101