Y&R April 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

I agree.  Maybe I was not clear enough.  I have no issue with the black characters having scenes together.  The issue I have is that with the exception of Devon all of their scenes are together.  Elena has been on the show for maybe a month and all of her scenes except 1 have been with Devon.  A whole month and she cannot go out and get coffee or to the mall?  How are viewers supposed to get to know the character when she is constantly in Devon's living room with him?  Writers should let the viewers get to know a character before pairing them off.  Otherwise there is no investment.  

Anna has been practically neutered.  Why cant she have friends and a love interest?  She solely exists for Devon.

The interesting thing about Jack is he has been on the show for how may decades?  He is connected to practically everyone.  He has been shown doing everything.  He is not in need of character development.  Anna and Elena have nothing but Devon and next to no character development.  Newbie's with nothing versus Jack?  There is no comparison.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

We got to know adult Ana through her family connection. The show did that right. She's ready for more now. That I agree with.  But there is nothing wrong with getting to know either one of those characters through Devon.  

Elena's problem is she's been on a month and only had FOUR episodes.  Yes, you read it right  4. She needs more airtime.  Two episodes were with Devon. One was mostly Ana and Jett.  The other was her not saying much with all four characters together. Yet, the complaint is she's got too much airtime with Devon? Eh? I see why folks complain about Ana. She definitely needs a life outside of her family. when Fen left she had nothing much else but devon.  But Elena just got here. We have no idea what the plans are for her. 

But I guess somehow, Devon has become the new Neil in folks eyes. Despite this being only his 2nd onscreen romance w/ black female character possibly happening with Elena, somehow folks resent black women being paired with him. That was quick. 

• Members

Yep. They even had Traci visit Lily. I'm glad they sometimes play that beat. It makes sense actually that Traci would lend an ear to Cane and be there for him. It's nice, actually. But I still don't see a need for Cane

Please register in order to view this content

lol but yeah, talk about an isolated character ...

• Members

Wow 4 episodes.  That is because she can only air on formerly Winter's Wednesday.   I think that the writing is on the wall with this show.  They write black characters much differently than other characters.  With that I am fairly certain that nothing will change no matter what any of our opinions are.  

• Members

Unpopular opinion.  I like Cane.  Have him go for Victoria even though Lily has “moved on” She confirmed and said so.  Let Cane take Victoria from Nowherebilly.

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

I’m catching up and liking a lot of what I see. The Cane/Lily drama was particularly interesting. I absolutely detest them as a couple but love them apart. I hope this breakup sticks and both are taken in new directions, if they remain. That remains to be seen since they have such little screen time and Lily is only recurring. I also love the way Phyllis is being written now which is more in line with who she is. I hated her running Jabot. I like her more as an outsider fighting for what she wants. 

With Nick and Victoria’s random flings, I understand it with her due to all the trauma she’s faced, but this seems random with Nick. It feels like they’re only doing it because they don’t know what to do with him. Instead of wasting Sharon on Rey (who she has NO chemistry with) they should just go ahead and put Nick and Sharon back together.