Y&R April 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

I actually liked the song that Tessa sung today. And I wonder who is threatening Mariah. I think it may end up being a new character that comes to town. Maybe Mariah has mentioned some gossip about them on the show, and they want to scare her, so she can stop doing that.

I also wonder what will end up happening with Cane now that he has said he is stepping down from his position at Chancellor. Him talking about wanting to do something that gives back, reminds me when Nick quit Newman saying he wanted to help people. And then ultimately ended up creating Dark Horse. I also wonder if anything else will come of Traci writing a new romance novel based off of Cane's and Lily's relationship. 

And I did like that Summer admitted how wrong she was to sleep with Billy and that she was remorseful that she hurt Phyllis like that. Her sleeping with Billy was terrible and I'm glad she admitted it never should have happened. I do think that her and GT have good mother/daughter chemistry. She did seem understandably upset about Phyllis trying to set Kyle up to cheat with Lola. I wonder if Phyllis will continue to try and help end Kyle/Summer's marriage and what other lengths she may go to do that. 

Edited by xtr

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Some of the writing is just awful.

— Cane can step down as Chancellor CEO just like that? No transition, no looking for a new leader, no nothing? This show pretends to care about business stories. This is a fail.

— Jack’s argument with Dina was RIDICULOUS. For MONTHS she’s been out of it, and in one conversation, Hack is back to SCREAMING at her. Just a pathetic writing decision so Jack could AGAIN reflect on his life.  The discussion with Traci was no better.

— I didn’t like Tessa’s song. Would I want to hear it again let alone buy it? No.

— Mariah closed Crimson Lights early so that Tessa could play her guitar and sing for an audience of one? Yeah, that makes sense. Who cares if a customer shows up and sees the plac3 is closed, out of the blue.

P. S.  All of a sudden the twins are in favor of a divorce??? Huh???

• Members

I'm still disappointed that they gave Dina Alzheimer's. While I applaud exploring such a serious story, she added some great conflict to the show with the relationship with her children and sort of took some of the place that Katherine left behind after her passing. But now she's completely out of the story for the most part. That and Marla Adams was really knocking it out of the park when she returned.

Edited by pdm1974

• Members

For a minute I was hoping the writers were bringing back Dina to some normalcy in that scene with Jack. Instead it was an excuse for a Jack to AGAIN yell at Dina and reflect on his pathetic life.

The scene in Jack’s office where he dreamed of talking with young Dina was just an Emmy bait scene for PB. I think Jack should frickin grow up. A 65 year old man should have long ago stopped asking “Why’d you do me wrong, ma?”

• Members

Lil stuff like that bugs me too. Right now there's just a hint of tiny buds on the trees. It won't be lush until mid-May. 

If it were DAYS I could almost excuse it because they taped all their stuff in 2015 so who knows when stuff will air with preemptions and all that

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I was glad to see Lily today and to hear her mention Neil and his relationships with the twins. Especially in light of what is coming up. Interesting that she will be teaching near the prison.

Also, this Summer/Kyle/Lola triangle has turned into a storyline that isn't good. IMO, Lola is really unlikeable and has some nerve telling Kyle not to sleep with his own wife. She also looks bad that she only decided to take gifts from him and be willing to sleep with him after he married Summer. And while I am a fan of Kyle, he also looks bad. He's trying to play the role of role of caring husband, but also trying to date/court his mistress, in plain sight. He's not even being that discreet about his behavior. Running towards Lola in public at the opening of Society and then giving her a necklace, which Summer ended up seeing. And Summer is lacking dignity and see that her husband clearly prefers another woman more than her.

This as currently written triangle is not working. I think maybe Josh should consider ending it. Maybe he should remove Summer from the triangle. I would rather see Lola be the one that is removed, but the way the story is currently being written it would make more sense to have Summer exit it. Since Kyle prefers Lola, and Summer is going to look more and more desperate, as she keeps excusing Kyle's disrespectful behavior regarding their marriage. I definitely don't want to see Kyle get back together with Lola, especially given how she treated him. And the writing for her really hasn't improved, but I do think that things may be better if this triangle ends. And Kyle prefers her. Maybe they will reunite and then one day Kyle will be able to get out from under her grasp.

Edited by xtr

• Members

It's not a good look for all three of them. I see some fans just eating it up. Meh. But at the same time, affairs and mistresses have been on soaps for so long ... look how many times Jack had someone else. Like father like son ... but it's not very appealing to watch, honestly. Considering Lola and Kyle fell in love overnight and then we got the transplant marriage ... it was all a bit rushed too. It's not really working but then, not everyone can be goodie two shoes either. Like usual, the writing lacks. Depth and Josh Griffith don't necessarily go together.

• Members

Some of the Lola fans (maybe a lot) are eating it up that she's his mistress, lol. They think this stuff that is going on between Kyle and Lola is great. They are happy about him giving her the necklace and sneaking around with her. But I don't think is great. This storyline doesn't work for me for several reasons. Including:

Lola creates so much unnecessary drama and threw Kyle away for no good reason, before she went into the coma. Her and Kyle are acting like Summer is some evil person that is keeping them apart, but Lola constantly putting Kyle down/not accepting him/breaking up, helped create this situation. If she hadn't treated him so poorly they could have spent the romantic evening at the mansion together and she wouldn't have even been at the mansion, when Mia showed up to attack Abby. (And mistook Lola for her.)

Heck, even if Lola still got attacked somehow, if her and Kyle had still been a couple, he wouldn't have been so quick to marry Summer, in exchange for the donation. I Think he would have come up with something else to offer Summer in exchange for her being the donor.

I think that Lola looks pretty bad that she all of sudden changed her tune about wanting to sleep with Kyle/take gifts from him, after he marries Summer. She is more accepting of things from him now that she's his mistress than she did when she was his girlfriend. It's very backwards. Also, I think that Summer needs to get dignity and stop trying to push herself on Kyle, when it's clear he prefers Lola. Him and Summer do have a connection and I think he's fond of her, but Summer keeps getting signs he really would rather be with Lola. And she keeps dismissing those signs.

And Kyle is actually trying to act like both a boyfriend to Lola and a husband to Summer, and he looks bad. It looks like he really doesn't have any regard for Summer's feelings. 

I think that a better job could have done with this triangle/affair storyline.

Edited by xtr

• Members

I have never cared for Summer (especially HKK), I briefly liked Lola until the writing got so bad. I like Kyle, but this story is lousy. Now Lola wants to just give up her virginity like that? And, she doesn't mind if she's a side piece? Who cares.   

NuNate was definitely more charming than Grandma Nate in his first episode.

I love Traci, but modeling her new book's hero after Cane?  Just write him out.  

Rey is clearly the only Rosales worth keeping. Arturo had potential, maybe a recast would have been better.  He was the reason the family moved there, and properly integrating them, rather than foisting them on us daily would have made a lot more sense. There is plenty of room for Rosales, Winters, Abbott, Newman and Williams families. Mal and Angelica did a great disservice to the show when they sidelined the Winters family. A family with so many fans relegated back to Winters Wednesdays. I blame that on their unwillingness o fight to keep Mishael Morgan. Hillary was a bright light on the show. Even sending her out of town rather than killing her off would have made more sense.  Diminishing KSJ's role on the show certainly didn't help. I still  wonder if he had been working more, things may not have gone the way they did.

Turning Paul into a grumpy old prick has been slowly happening for years. Maybe it's because Mary's not around to feed him ribs with Sauerkraut to keep him regular  

Please register in order to view this content

As for "the Bug" , well maybe she needs more on date night than bowling......

I wish they had kept Sharon working as an advocate. One of the best things Sally did was reboot Sharon, sent her to school, and give her more purpose in life than pining over Dickolas, finally being written as a frat boy banging one woman after another. Maybe we're headed for an STD story for him...

Send Victoria and Billy off  (along with Cane) and bring in a real Chancellor to run the company.  How about a Chance/Abby/Devon/Elena story?

I don't want to see a Jack/Phyllis redux. I do think they should work on fixing Dina's diagnosis.   Her lucidity the other day was nice. 

Griffith needs a  co-head writer to balance his style.

I the\ink the show can be good, if things change the way they have been.

• Members

I think that Rey is the most likeable of the Rosales. He's the only one that I really like. Though, I actually liked the Abby/Arturo scenes today. I thought they were alright as a couple and could have  been a solid pairing, had they not brought Mia on, and did the Mia/Rey/Arturo storyline which I don't think was very good. I was okay with Arturo, until he became hypocritical towards Kyle and treated him poorly when Kyle wanted to see Lola/tried to help Lola. And then it ended up being revealed he cheated on Abby by sleeping with Mia again, which further hurt the character. I think Arturo would have been okay had they written him a little better.

Edited by xtr

• Members

I've never cared much for King as Summer either, but honestly, I'm coming around to her. I know ...

Griffith absolutely needs a co-head writer.

The show can indeed be good. Griffith wasn't a horrible choice but we've kinda been there done that. But they needed to play it safe, so to speak. I have a hard time seeing him lasting more than a year or two, personally.

I agree on the reboot of Sharon. Now she's quitting jobs just to look good in her new man's eyes. And we are probably going back to some form of Sharon and Adam, which I'm not in the mood for at all.

I have nothing to say about Paul. I don't think they did the actor right at all (same with KSJ), but Paul needs a complete re-tool. And they need to add more layers to Christine again. They tried a little bit, but it's not enough for me. They're both so damaged.