Best Soap Opera Opening

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I love that "winter wind," as I like to think of it, that sometimes started off Y&R's theme in the mid-80's. 

Re: Ryan's Hope. All their openings make me want to go out and buy orange juice. I would've hoped they updated the music somewhat by the mid-80's. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

I think you're right.  I happened upon the third season credits in both the US and french versions.. and the Abby clips were different (in the US one.. Abby's in a swimsuit and being sexy... in the french one.. she's doing the mom thing in her clips)... plus, kenny and ginger each have separate clips, not merged together.

• Members

Home & Away. Cheesy but still good and it draws you in - very much like Australian soaps in those years. 

I also liked the early '00s update.

They no longer have credits, which tells you all you need to know about what the show has become.

Neighbours has had a number of very unfortunate updates to their theme tune in recent years, but I always really liked this one - both the image and the vocals.

• Members

I can’t embed an appropriate video at this moment, but I have to bring up the classic Aussie soap NUMBER 96, which began each episode with no music but just a shot of the titular apartment building a quick zoom in on which part of the building in which the episode’s action would begin. Perfect, and then of course it had a very swinging 70s theme that ran over the closing credits.

• Members

I still remember when they first made the switch to this Neighbours theme (I think in 1992) there was such a backlash, but I always really liked it. Though I always liked the title style that originally went with it. It was like an envelope or postbox.

Edited by UK LAW

• Members

This theme is really one of the best, underrated soap openings. It's quiet, majestic, moody, and quite perfect. No huge histrionics, just a beautiful way to introduce a show. The full theme is on my iPhone and I listen to it whenever I need a breather. 

• Members

The Eighties spinning globe intro to ATWT was my favorite. It was a perfect hook from the intro scenes.The intros after that were a hodgepodge  that ranged from pretty-but-boring to meaningless fanfare. Eight pages of this thread and nobody posted Dark Shadows? (I would, but I don't know how!)