Best Soap Opera Opening

• Members

Don't get me wrong, this GL theme is still miles better than that dreadful ATWT theme with the flushing noise (I used to call it the 'rejected Crest commercial' theme song).

This theme that I always associate with the first time I saw GL, remains such a gorgeous closing theme.

Oops, I realized the thread is about Opening Themes and this is clearly as Closing Theme but I've always truly loved it. When I think about summers as a little kid, this was part of that summertime experience (even though I didn't start really investing in the show until that had that bouncy pop theme, which I thought was pretty fun!)

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The 2002 theme wasn't bad per se, but it was a poor man's "Hold on to Love." I would have preferred that they updated that theme compared to what we got. But we can all agree that it's better than Rick Rhodes' 2003 atrocity. 

• Members

Easily my favorite combo of music and visuals in all of soap history. The clouds, the birds, the big crescendo before the title appears. Beautiful aesthetic.

I loved the music with this opening, so grand and majestic. What pissed me off the most was that we were told that the Rick Rhodes's theme/opening was going to "be like an update to the old 90s titles" which was foolish bc the one they were replacing was much more an update to it than what they debuted. I still can't believe they were proud of that and that it lasted that long. Even those 80s openings where it's just a clip montage followed by the title card made more sense.

• Members

One prime time series that had a great opening theme by Henry Mancini was the soap-like Hotel in the 1980s.  This 90 second lush orchestrated theme would never air on TV today because it would interfere with advertising time to make money for the networks...

• Members

This is my favorite GL theme. I could listen to it all day. I always wondered if the background was flashes of light through leaves or gamma rays a la the Incredible Hulk.....LOL.......And of course as you can tell by the ending that this was included in the GL DVD release. The picture quality in HD looks so good.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

This was one of my favs... dramatic and eye catching (shame the show at the time didn't match with this opening).

When I was very little... I remember this theme (my mom was a huge fan).

Brookside (UK's answer to Knots Landing.. before Mal Young ruined it)

• Members

Of course, DAYS and Y&R are timeless and iconic, but I think GL’s 1991-2002 “Hold On to Love” is soap music at its very finest. The beautiful slow closing theme, the upbeat opening, the background music used during the show... I even liked the 1995 updated version, and the 1996 slow jazz (the opening not so much, with the loud light rays and the music didn’t match the visuals, but the closing jazz theme is gorgeous).