Best Soap Opera Opening

• Members

Orchestral and majestic! In a way its value is that they used it sparingly, for a rather special moment in time, because Reilly's return was so hyped and mediatised.

I loved Wendy Riche's Faces of the Heart, but one thing I missed about the Roaring Ambulance days of GH was its epic CLOSING credits music. It always gave me a lump in the throat.

Edited by Cat

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So they just did their own version of "If Ever I'm In Your Arms Again" (wasn't that the Eden/Cruz theme - or one of them...?). Thanks.

I love that too. To be honest outdated or not I will always prefer that GH opening to Faces of the Heart, especially since I thought that opening really lost its freshness by the late '90s anyway, and no longer matched an increasingly perverted, coarse show.

• Members

The Loving theme song helped me learn how to spell loving.

What are some of your favorite transitions from opening scenes to opening themes?

This one from OLTL is pretty epic

You can hear the theme music kick in around 1:03

Watchig these clips is making me realize how devoid of music current soaps are. Every scene now sounds like it was filmed ina cave.

Edited by Darn

• Members

It was always cool when Another World would play their entire theme song, usually during Monday or Friday episodes- some days these credits would air for 2 and a half to 3 minutes long.

70s-1981 Complete theme- minus the sponsor tag at the beginning of the credits

1981-1987 Complete closing minus the sponsor tag at the beginning of the credits

1988-1995 Complete closing- when there was extra time the show would use the Crystal Gayle/Gary Morris vocal of You Take Me Away to Another World during the credits.

1996-1999 theme- these are not the actual credits, but the complete theme is in the video.   This variation is so much better than the opening theme.

• Members

My favorite moments (since the Rex/Katherine necklace bit, Jill shaking out her hair, and Harley dancing were already mentioned).

Felicia tossing the boa around her neck and Paulina licking her finger in the AW intro

Lisa with her hands on her hips in the ATWT toilet flush intro

Livia rolling her eyes in the Frons-era AMC intro

Antonio’s “smoldering” head turn and Blair’s surprised, tousled-hair look in the late ‘90s OLTL opening

The karate kick and Nola’s pained look in the portrait in the GL disco intro

• Members

Do you mean the 80s theme? Its composer, Jonathan Segal, did several game show themes. The most notable is probably "All Star Blitz," with its odd scat singing ("Ha ha ha he ha ha ha! Huh ha ba he ba ha ha!").

I've really come to like the gracefulness of Nola and Vanessa in matching dresses, Nola having trouble opening her fan, and then the two of them curtsying (or descending steps?) at the very beginning of the My Guiding Light opening.

Here's an underrated gem, IMO. Perfect for the time of day this soap usually aired.

• Members

I did, yes. I didn't know that. Thanks. It makes sense.

I agree the LOL theme was nice. Very suited to the times.

I also like this, even though I don't think it quite suited the show.

If I'd watched this show as a child this opening would have freaked me out. In many ways it was Game of Thrones before Game of Thrones.

Look at these GL openings. I have a few issues, but otherwise, so many winners. Even the very first one gives me a chill. It to me epitomizes soaps of that era.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

So many things to say about GL's forty-two thousand opening sequences. Nothing beats the majesty of the Fire Island lighthouse of the early 70s, either on blue or orange. There used to be a crew credit roll from '74 or '75 on YouTube where you could tell that they'd simply positioned the camera in front of a framed photograph of the lighthouse against the orange sky. I'd pay an embarrassing amount of money to own that.

I wish we had any kind of footage at all from the late 60s so that the collection could be complete. We now know that there was a different theme used during the era.

You can tell with the original ballad version of My Guiding Light that they were less inspired as they updated. It went from being a very deliberate showcase of what the show had to offer to just a parade of headshots with random sh!t like a tarantula thrown in there.

"G U I D I N G L I G H T" will never ever ever make sense to me, and I really need the person who devised it and the one who okayed it to explain themselves because it's just so bad. I hate the "dad rock" theme from 2005. A pretty melody but just the entirely wrong sound for a daytime soap.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

Thanks, Wendy. SB isn't the same without you...

That soft jazz type music is nice but doesn't really seem right for the show. It would have worked well for Another Life. This opening is a mess (their original was nicer) but I have a soft spot for it. I'll post both.