Y&R March 2018 Discussion

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is weird that Lily would be concerned about being a “one-income family” given Cane is a CEO of a major corporation. Are they living some extravagant lifestyle that we don’t see onscreen? The thought that they’ll suddenly have to shop at Aldi’s is pretty laughable.

• Members

It’s an excuse so we don’t get to see Lily live on the ranch and have affairs as she pleases while day-drinking as she has become very bored with Cane.

While her concerns are valid, it saddens me that while Dru was able to Neil in his place 20 years ago Lily is not allowed to do the same with Cane. 

• Members

Not to mention her father is a veteran corporate executive, her mother was a famous model & corporate executive, her aunt & cousin are successful doctors, her great aunt is independently wealthy and her brother is a BILLIONAIRE.

• Members

Right. I get that she wouldn’t want to go begging to the relatives out of pride, but the thought that her family would be struggling is silly. There’s no sense of scale when it comes to income on these shows anymore. It’s like a generic middle class (everyone lives in modest abodes, understandably because these shows are broke) but a character’s wealth is only invoked when it’s narratively convenient.

They are really straining to make Lily/Cane the show’s most relatable couple, and I just can’t suspend my disbelief. Cane is never seen working and his role at CI feels like a contrivance that feels at odds with what we know about the character.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

This continues to piss me off.  There is no way Lily or anyone in her family needs to fret about where their next private school tuition payment is coming from.  The show continues to insult viewers with this $hit. 

If they want a lower middle class family with money worries on the show, they need to bring one on. People related to billionaires and CEO's are not it.

• Members

They kind of have a start with Mariah.  On the one hand, it's never made sense to me that Sharon didn't offer to send her to college or give her some money. Once they got close and Mariah proved trustworthy, I mean.  On the other hand, I guess that could lead to Mariah and a partner having a middle class family.  I think that's about the closest this show could come to middle class. Not that I think they will do any of that, mind you.

Archived