Y&R March 2018 Discussion

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They’ve been playing up JT’s controlling behavior for the past few weeks, setting up for the inevitable I suppose...

Sometimes I think we forget that actors want to show off their abilities more than “protect” their characters (an exception being Daniel Goddard, who received his best material ever which was totally in character for Cane). With soaps, viewers feel cheated when don’t witness grand character evolutions over time. It’s why Jack suddenly being attracted to men or something similar wouldn’t fly. But it’s tough to play things out over years when there’s so much behind-the-scenes turnover. Seeds planted by one writer are abandoned by the next. Still with JT, he’s been off the canvas for years, so of course we’re not going to see his evolution. Can a person change that much in a few years? Maybe. I don’t know. But it’s uncomfortable and upsetting to watch given my fondness for the character.

• Members

@Faulkner Great post. I mostly agree with you. In this case my main problem is that I don't understand why Victoria is putting up with his bad behavior. I needed to see these two fall in love again and see their relationship go bad bit by bit.  Maybe with JT crossing the line, but then crossing back and being sweet. The way this stuff so often goes down IRL. As it stands I have no idea why she's putting up with his $hit.

Plus if he ever hit Mac, I have a very hard time believing she wouldn't tell Victoria.  I get that they are limited on time, but some of this is a little frustrating.

• Members

The way he was jealous of Billy and Victoria was a red flag too. It's one thing to express insecurity, but the way he talks to her? Nope. She's not isolated or dependent on him.  There is reason for Victoria to accept this.

I agree with you on Reed too. He's almost 18, but he's going to let his mother get back together with someone he knows is physically abusive without warning her? That doesn't work when the kid's grandfather is The Great Victor Newman.  Maybe JT never actually hit Mac and he was just verbally abusive. That's what I'm hoping.

• Members

Right. It’s tough. I’m not sure I trust MY to handle a story that would require Shakespearean skill for us to see JT as anything other than an evil jerk, especially in the #metoo era. But I’m trying to separate what’s just bad writing from what is just me being a JT fanboy. 

Archived