Taoboi

Y&R March 2018 Discussion

50 minutes ago, ajsp35801 said:

It seems like everything is happening at rapid speed except for JT physically abusing Vikki. I'm tired of dreading it. If the show is going to do it then just get on with it. 

My problem is that they are pretending to do a slow, character-driven build with this story, and it just feels messy. At the end of the day, this is Victoria’s story, and that’s been clear, but it’s been dipping in and out of JT’s perspective in a way that feels inconsistent and a little offensive. They are showing how a predator breaks down someone’s confidence bit by bit, and I get that, which dovetails with Victoria’s struggles to assert herself in the shadow of her abusive Trump-like father. I suspect that they’re using this as a #metoo/feminist story in which Victoria is an unlikely victim and Abby and maybe even Ashley are compelled to set aside their adversarial attitudes and rally around her. But the seams are really showing.

The biggest problem is this story is OOC for Victoria.

She's always had a troubled love life but she was never a wallflower. This whole story is written to AH as an actress instead of Victoria as a character. Just like when Y&R made Victoria into a baby obsessed psycho during the whole Miller/Tom/Jenkins era.

Sort of the way Gloria morphed from a social climbing oddball (JVA) to golddigging silent film actress (JC) or Ashley going from Corporate Ice Princess (ED) to Swoony RomCom Heroine (BE).

Edited by DeeeDee

1 minute ago, DeeeDee said:

She's always had a troubled love life but she was never a wallflower. This whole story is written to AH as an actress instead of Victoria as a character. Just like when Y&R made Victoria into a baby obsessed psycho during the whole Miller/Tom/Jenkins era.

Sort of the way Gloria morphed from a social climbing oddball (JVA) to golddigging silent film actress (JC) or how Ashley going from Corporate Ice Princess (ED) to Swoony RomCom Heroine (BE).

Yeah this is Emmy bait for AH. Just wouldn’t be surprised if MY was a fan of Big Little Lies and wanted to do a version of Nicole Kidman’s story.

2 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Yeah this is Emmy bait for AH. Just wouldn’t be surprised if MY was a fan of Big Little Lies and wanted to do a version of Nicole Kidman’s story.

The problem is there are very few stable couples right now. Besides Paul/Cricket, Philly & the recently reunited Lane everyone else is in limbo.

Y&R could've (credibly) told that type of story with Paul/Cricket but Y&R doesn't care enough about either character or their relationship to tell that story.

So the show is stuck warping characters to fit an agenda (much like with Dina's alzheimer's story).

1 minute ago, DeeeDee said:

The problem is there are very few stable couples right now. Besides Paul/Cricket, Philly & the recently reunited Lane everyone else is in limbo.

Y&R could've (credibly) told that type of story with Paul/Cricket but Y&R doesn't care enough about either character or their relationship to tell that story.

So the show is stuck warping characters to fit an agenda (much like with Dina's alzheimer's story).

Yeah, Paul/Cricket would have worked 20 years ago and been more credible than that die he/didn’t he? rape. I think Kevin/Mariah would have also worked, and the actors could have sold the hell out of it. But AH is their star, and Victoria is the Newman heiress, and she gets the “juicy” material regardless of whether the character fits it.

20 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

But AH is their star, and Victoria is the Newman heiress, and she gets the “juicy” material regardless of whether the character fits it.

That's depressing. For TPTB to put a bunch of eggs in that basket is sad. Is she supposed to be rootable? 

If someone asked me for the top five actresses on the show, she wouldn't come close to even making the list.

I've been a smidge bitter since David Tom was shown the door. As a viewer, it came across that she wasn't giving it her all because he wasn't Billy Miller. I was probably reading too much into it at the time, but it stuck with me.

18 hours ago, Juliajms said:

I almost wish they had given Cane the domestic abuse story, although the optics of him hitting an AA woman would have been problematic.  Maybe it would have been ok if Lily stabbed him to death the second time he tried it?:ph34r:

Lily would have still taken him back after cause they would have said he had a brain tumor or something to facilitate it. So no...bad idea. 

18 hours ago, Faulkner said:

My problem is that they are pretending to do a slow, character-driven build with this story, and it just feels messy. At the end of the day, this is Victoria’s story, and that’s been clear, but it’s been dipping in and out of JT’s perspective in a way that feels inconsistent and a little offensive. They are showing how a predator breaks down someone’s confidence bit by bit, and I get that, which dovetails with Victoria’s struggles to assert herself in the shadow of her abusive Trump-like father. I suspect that they’re using this as a #metoo/feminist story in which Victoria is an unlikely victim and Abby and maybe even Ashley are compelled to set aside their adversarial attitudes and rally around her. But the seams are really showing.

You'd think that Abby and Ashley would rally. But I fear that Abby would take the opportunity to push her out and take her job. MY seems tone deaf sometimes. So instead of a woman's round table on The Hilary Hour, we will get Abbots taking over NE. 

17 hours ago, DeeeDee said:

Sort of the way Gloria morphed from a social climbing oddball (JVA) to golddigging silent film actress (JC) or Ashley going from Corporate Ice Princess (ED) to Swoony RomCom Heroine (BE).

Victoria has been written to AHs strengths every since they paired her Victoria and Billy. This isn't new. 

17 hours ago, DeeeDee said:

Paul is not an abuser either despite that OOC rape of Christine to make her relationship with Michael more palatable. 

17 hours ago, mango said:

That's depressing. For TPTB to put a bunch of eggs in that basket is sad. Is she supposed to be rootable? 

If someone asked me for the top five actresses on the show, she wouldn't come close to even making the list.

I've been a smidge bitter since David Tom was shown the door. As a viewer, it came across that she wasn't giving it her all because he wasn't Billy Miller. I was probably reading too much into it at the time, but it stuck with me.

You weren't. AH said in an interview how she had to snapped out of it on set. They had to prompt her to get moving in scenes. I'm assuming she was just so shell shocked that Billy Miller wasn't in the scenes :mellow:

21 minutes ago, ajsp35801 said:

Victoria has been written to AHs strengths every since they paired her Victoria and Billy. This isn't new. 

Paul is not an abuser either despite that OOC rape of Christine to make her relationship with Michael more palatable.

Victoria has been rewritten for AH from the very beginning. Hence her being a committed 'artist' in Europe and chem tested with JT within a couple months of her arrival in GC.

I totally agree that the rape/not rape was OOC for Paul & was done to make Michael (and Michael/Cricket) more palatable, but acknowledging it (and everything that led up to it) would make a Big Little Lies situation for them much more logical than it would for any other couple on Y&R's current canvas.

48 minutes ago, ajsp35801 said:

You weren't. AH said in an interview how she had to snapped out of it on set. They had to prompt her to get moving in scenes. I'm assuming she was just so shell shocked that Billy Miller wasn't in the scenes :mellow:

That is SO unprofessional. That she would admit it in an interview... I can’t.

1 hour ago, ajsp35801 said:

Goodness. I'm surprised an actor would admit it.  In a few scenes, I recall her actually looking repulsed by him.

21 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

That is SO unprofessional. That she would admit it in an interview... I can’t.

She even said Billy Miller is Billy Abbott and all but refused to work with David.  How can a lifeless recast be so cocky is beyond me! 

5 minutes ago, ChitHappens said:

She even said Billy Miller is Billy Abbott and all but refused to work with David.  How can a lifeless recast be so cocky is beyond me! 

I think once she realized her rotting corpse interpretation of Victoria wasn't going to get her fired, she also realized she could get away with anything! 

27 minutes ago, YRBB said:

I think once she realized her rotting corpse interpretation of Victoria wasn't going to get her fired, she also realized she could get away with anything! 

These shows don’t have any balls. I mean, it’s not like she’s Ellen Pompeo and has a producer credit. Yet she wields all of this power. She must test very well with focus groups. I’ve grown to appreciate her, but she’s eminently disposable. I suppose she realized her chemistry with BM was the only thing keeping her from the door.

Edited by Faulkner

1 hour ago, ajsp35801 said:

Lily would have still taken him back after cause they would have said he had a brain tumor or something to facilitate it. So no...bad idea. 

She'd have stabbed him to death, so she can't take him back.  Still, with my luck it would have proved to be Cane's identical triplet, not really Cane. So yeah, bad idea.

Edited by Juliajms

19 minutes ago, Juliajms said:

She'd have stabbed him to death, so she can't take him back.  Still, with my luck it would have proved to be Cane's identical triplet, not really Cane. So yeah, bad idea.

All that will be left after the apocalypse will be roaches, cher & cane. :lol: