Y&R March 2018 Discussion

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True. But I do feel they tried with her when she was first cast. But it devolved into this cold controlled heroine who, even in anger, couldn't raise her voice above a breathless whisper. 

The audience has known Paul a long time, I don't think they'd buy it. 

At that point, Villy was the shows signature couple and extremely popular. She had just won and Emmy. I'm sure she knew her worth. 

Please register in order to view this content

Yeah, it would have been Caden. 

• Members

I mean, that’s some cojones. I just imagine doing an interview in my own profession in which I not only admitted that I just plain didn’t do my job because of some petty nonsense but I also had to be reprimanded for it. I suppose at that point she knew she was a lifer and that very few people read the soap media. And I guess in the small insular world of soaps, Daytime Emmys (which don’t even air on TV anymore) still matter.

• Members

I guess she rightly wagered that, in protest of what she thought was unfair treatment of Billy Miller during his contract negotiations, she could leverage BM/Villy fans on social media to push DT out while doing her own bit onscreen to make sure it looked like he failed. It was smart calculation on AH’s part, and now she’s survived Villy.

• Members

Soaps nowadays operate by listening to fans too easily and letting fringe fanbases dictate story instead of letting the person in charge actually create and come up with story.

Cane and Lily breaking up last year was a long time coming and was very slow moving (this is the one time where Sussman's writing style came in handy)... but now they're back together with Cane being blame free?!?!?!  Makes no sense whatsoever except to satisfy a very hostile fan base.

• Members

Fringe fanbases have destroyed shows in the past i.e. "Manny" and "Gush" fans over at GL, "Bratie" and "Nuke" fans at ATWT etc. Not too sure why Lame or Villy even have fanbases to even begin with unless its manufactured hype from the folks on in the control room. 

• Members

Sussman did what needed to be done with Cane and the character actually became legitimately interesting as a heel. So of course the network and Young walked it all back because they jealously guard any small fanbase in this dying genre. See also: ABC's inexplicable obsession with Julian and Alexis on GH despite a tiny fanbase. Any port in a storm.

Billy and Victoria probably should've ended with Miller gone. I don't much like her in the role but getting rid of Amelia Heinle is a pipe dream at this point and has been for a long time. Fantasy is not a viable strategy, so you have to move on.

• Members

Y&R never tried with AH's Victoria. Within six months she went from A stories to an afterthought love triangle with Brad & Sharon and making faux reliquaries.

That's not the point. If Y&R HAS to do a Big Little Lies story it has a couple with an established enough past played by strong enough actors that would make such a storyline relatively plausible even if the original story was OOC.

At the very least it wouldn't be as time consuming & utterly character destructive as what's currently happening between Victoria & JT.

• Members

I like AH fine as an icy villainess, but the problem is they want her to be a romantic, flawed heroine who can carry the entire show on her back, and that’s beyond her abilities. She’s not a Laura Wright who will give it her all no matter what. Or GT who sometimes brings it so hard that it results in things like the Hair Flip Heard Round the World. Amelia will do the bare minimum and sometimes not even that.

• Members

The problem is that the show then keeps characters like Cane around to help fulfill it's 40+ Straight White Male Lead role because Morrow can't carry the show.

The same thing has happened to Victoria which is why she's reduced to baby rabies and feuding with Abby instead of running Newman.

If Victoria & Nicholas were played by actors who would carry Y&R then the show wouldn't regularly relegate them to pointless secondary & tertiary relationships/stories.

How many times have posters at SON complained about Nicholas not having any purpose? Or Victoria's only story about her relationship with Billy?

Archived