Y&R March 2018 Discussion

• Members

New Kyle is hot but I already don't care for him. This is not Kyle. The actor reminds me of John Howard who was cast as Paul on ATWT and was given the name Model Paul. Kyle feels like Model Kyle. His reasoning for siding with Victor make zero sense. This is pure bull.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like Michael Mealer as nuKyle, model Kyle, or whatever you want to call him.

The character needed a reset, and Kyle with attitude works for me. I don’t care that Kyle wasn’t like that in the past when Kyle was nice and genuine and sweet...and boring.

He’s angry with Jack? Works for me lol

• Members

Exactly! I don't get why some are so dead set against Hilary being tied to Devon and Winters/Hamiltons. It's not like she's ever suffered for airtime or story in their orbit. She doesn't need to birth or even be paired with a Newman or Abbot for TPTB to write for her...clearly.  Throw in that the baby is also Katherine Chancellor's grandchild, it's a win win. 

NuKyle isn't that hot. He looks too young for me to ever really think he is. It's like fawning over a 15 year old. Maybe if he grew facial hair...

• Members

We don't need anymore Newmans.  Thanks but no thanks.

If MY is going to do something as idiotic as it appears he's doing wiith Jack, it will leave only Billy's spawn as "true" Abbotts.  I would like to see a Kyle/Hilary pairing, although I won't complain about a reunion with Devon.

MY should have looked into untying a Newman.  They're fuckin everywhere.  If he had to retcon parentage, do Nick.  Or Noah.  I get he's using Dina to do this, but the Abbotts were already diminished.  Colleen, Delia, John...all killed off.  Newmans?  Nada.  Unless you count Cassie but they've brought her back so...

I will wait and see, but if the DNA results support what Dina says...I can't imagine this retcon will be permanent.  

• Members

IMO, many seem to think Jack maybe being amember of another family will last. bottom line, this is temporary. down the road, after the drama has been mined, Jack wil be an Abbott, Ashley may be an Abbott, Traci may NOT be one but will turn out to be one later. this past week IMPO was a hard reset. something had to be done ratings wise and it was the right time to do it during the anniversary week when they knew people would tune in. only have of the changes will stick...the others are just to be used to boost the drama, like JT's psychotic behavior. IMO.

• Members

I've been lurking this thread more than posting, even though I regularly watch Y&R, because I am often a few episodes behind and this thread moves at a fast pace. Currently I am about to start Thursday's episode, haven't seen nuKyle yet. What has struck me is the energy in the scenes since last Friday, when JT shoved TGVN down the stairs.

Unpopular opinion but, in a lot of ways, having Mal both steer the ship as EP and HW brings a certain consistency to the show. No newbies being forced down my throat, an appreciation of characters of all ages, especially core characters, none of the arrogance of a JFP or Chuck Pratt who expected Y&R to bend to their 'trademark' mediocrity. In light of the tumbling ratings in recent months, I know my opinion sounds preposterous. MY seems somewhat collaborative in the sense that he listens to some of the long-time writers and maybe even a few actors on the show. Both breakdown writers and actors have IMO really taken their material in recent days and raised it another level. I'm thinking especially of Melody Thomas Scott, Thad Luckinbill, Jess Walton, heck even Melissa Ordway and (who would have guessed) Kelly Krueger have been decent to watch.

Thad Luckinbill's SL is the one keeping me watching and guessing, on the edge of my seat; he has filled the 30-something male void on this show, a void Y&R has been trying to plug for years. I don't know if TL is on contract or recurring, or if his character as the Domestic Violence Abuser will come to a sticky end. Every scene he is in feels like a slow unpeeling of the layers. I watched JT grow from teen to adult. With his return to the canvas, he has slotted in seamlessly, with no awkwardness. This is not just some plot-point character, there to teach us a lesson about domestic abuse. As a result,, I keep wondering what pushed this teen hothead to where he is now now, violent, controlling, manipulative, unpredictable, and yet still keeping a little of the JT I remember back in the day. I am probably projecting more onto this SL than what is actually being told, but I feel like I am watching a character study of a man gone wrong. Will he be rehabilitated? Can he be rehabilitated? His interactions at the Walnut Grove gala with Brittany, Raul, and Mac give an added dimension because it takes us back to the Glow by Jabot days -- not to mention the tension with the fact that Victor could come out of his coma at any moment.

Speaking of Glow by Jabot, though, it was somewhat jarring to see nuBilly and nuPhyllis greeting Raul and Brittany again. Phyllis once corralled these teens into participating in the online makeup campaign aimed at the teen market. Now her younger recast is dating one of them. Yikes. Jason Thompson did have a moment with Kelly Krueger where Mac talked about leaving JT because she had good reasons, and JT's Billy immediately backing her up: "I believe you."

I hope Lori and Leslie Brooks will not be the last nod we will have at Y&R's 45th anniversary. As someone who has poured over any 1970s, pre-Abbott/Newman episodes that I can find on YT, it would be a shame if a quick snark at Jill at the GCAC was it. I did love Jill's past history being referenced by the characters, and JW had a very Jill-like energy and spring in her step for the first time in a long time (when she isn't saddled to Colin and/or propping Cane).

I would agree that this is the re-set, but it seems a shame that John Abbott's legacy on the show has been sacrificed. Especially when a few weeks ago, we saw Dina (in teen Dina mode) dancing with Victor and mooning over a young John. Now it seems she was more invested in being the town rich ho-bag and shagging all over the country club? I always felt like Jack was meant to be the one who looked most like a young John but failed to inherit many of his good or strong qualities. I don't know where this retcon will end up, it might have been more interesting if Ashley DID turn out to be an Abbott but Jack not, thereby turning the tables. If it's a case of every Abbott checking their DNA, it would be a sorry deterioration of a core family. I certainly don't think Billy should be John Abbott's only true heir.

ITA that this is a hard reset for the show, amid the falling ratings, and that a lot of the SLs appear to have a little more direction or at least purpose at the moment as a result.

• Members

Thank you for your post Cat. really. you said what should be said. you seem to see the show for what it is...and not what you want it to be. I have seeing people comment saying 'They're destroying JT!' or "This is beyond stupid! this character would never act like this!" In JT's case, the character has been off canvas for near a decade. now, IMPO, if he came back as the same saccharin, boring character he was when he left, being Vicki's or Mac's doormat, people would saying "JT is so boring!". he comes back, having changed and as Mac put it...he's been through alot of things that have turned him into this monster. this isn't all of a sudden....but some refuse to let the drama play out. it's about time main characters do things that they have to live with...the consequences of their actions, instead of it being 1. a doppleganger....2 a brain tumor....3. a long lost relative that has been never mentioned, or the very old, tired cliches that have been done to death. 

I also don't think Jack's SL will remain like it is. this will be mined for the drama,. and as I have commented, it will turn out Jack is an Abbott, as well as Ashley. but the drama that can come from this potentially could be very good. I hope MY sticks to his guns, and doesn't let viewers who tune in only to complain and be popular on social media dictate what should happen to the show. people wanted drama...you got it. don;t line it? move on and stop watching I guess. LOL

• Members

I just watched this weeks worth of Y&R and I enjoyed it. Great seeing Lauren Woodland and David Lago (Lauren is now a lawyer in Los Angeles) and they're both looking great.

I didn't even mind Kelly Kruger as Mac, that's the fieriest she's ever been. 

And always wonderful to see Jess Walton back.

Archived