Y&R March 2018 Discussion

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
6 hours ago, Taoboi said:

Done with Friday AND Monday.

So...overall...with the glaring lack of flashbacks aside, I thought it was a good anniversary week.

I also didn't hate it. 

I must be the only one who wasn't fond of Bobby Marsino and didn't like them pairing Brittney with him. 

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members
1 hour ago, DeeeDee said:

John Enos was great. Just not with Lauren Woodland.

He and MTS had great chemistry. He and Brittany was just....   Ewww.  Brittany and   Raul  (Yes ROWl) should have always been endgame, so knowing the characters   are now married made me smile.

• Members
18 hours ago, Roman said:

I can't stand Lily. 

That is all.

She is the new Christine. Cane is the new Paul. 

Devon/Hilary were HOT. That is all.

On 2018-03-29 at 8:42 PM, GMac said:

If that's the reason, it doesn't follow the timeline of the story.  We saw a confident JT move in with Victoria (in record time ).  He wasn't insecure then.  But apparently he'd already been abusive to Mac, hence his reappearance in GC.

And he's already been giving Vic [!@#$%^&*], way before he knew how successful his peers had become.

I can totally see insecurity as why a guy like JT would turn abusive, but that hasn't been the story until this past week.  What other significant occurrence in his life would have done that?  That's my point.

To be frank, this story has played so believably well, that I can understand the skepticism to it. But I have to give credit to the script writers and actors. The nuance in the story is great. Reunions are usually a "I'm better than you," so I understand how JT might have felt that way. Also, the way that he and Victoria split up the first time, I can definitely see JT the "once popular jock" self-destructing. Things like this happen far too often.

On 2018-03-31 at 3:42 PM, Cat said:

I've been lurking this thread more than posting, even though I regularly watch Y&R, because I am often a few episodes behind and this thread moves at a fast pace. Currently I am about to start Thursday's episode, haven't seen nuKyle yet. What has struck me is the energy in the scenes since last Friday, when JT shoved TGVN down the stairs.

Unpopular opinion but, in a lot of ways, having Mal both steer the ship as EP and HW brings a certain consistency to the show. No newbies being forced down my throat, an appreciation of characters of all ages, especially core characters, none of the arrogance of a JFP or Chuck Pratt who expected Y&R to bend to their 'trademark' mediocrity. In light of the tumbling ratings in recent months, I know my opinion sounds preposterous. MY seems somewhat collaborative in the sense that he listens to some of the long-time writers and maybe even a few actors on the show. Both breakdown writers and actors have IMO really taken their material in recent days and raised it another level. I'm thinking especially of Melody Thomas Scott, Thad Luckinbill, Jess Walton, heck even Melissa Ordway and (who would have guessed) Kelly Krueger have been decent to watch.

Thad Luckinbill's SL is the one keeping me watching and guessing, on the edge of my seat; he has filled the 30-something male void on this show, a void Y&R has been trying to plug for years. I don't know if TL is on contract or recurring, or if his character as the Domestic Violence Abuser will come to a sticky end. Every scene he is in feels like a slow unpeeling of the layers. I watched JT grow from teen to adult. With his return to the canvas, he has slotted in seamlessly, with no awkwardness. This is not just some plot-point character, there to teach us a lesson about domestic abuse. As a result,, I keep wondering what pushed this teen hothead to where he is now now, violent, controlling, manipulative, unpredictable, and yet still keeping a little of the JT I remember back in the day. I am probably projecting more onto this SL than what is actually being told, but I feel like I am watching a character study of a man gone wrong. Will he be rehabilitated? Can he be rehabilitated? His interactions at the Walnut Grove gala with Brittany, Raul, and Mac give an added dimension because it takes us back to the Glow by Jabot days -- not to mention the tension with the fact that Victor could come out of his coma at any moment.

Speaking of Glow by Jabot, though, it was somewhat jarring to see nuBilly and nuPhyllis greeting Raul and Brittany again. Phyllis once corralled these teens into participating in the online makeup campaign aimed at the teen market. Now her younger recast is dating one of them. Yikes. Jason Thompson did have a moment with Kelly Krueger where Mac talked about leaving JT because she had good reasons, and JT's Billy immediately backing her up: "I believe you."

I hope Lori and Leslie Brooks will not be the last nod we will have at Y&R's 45th anniversary. As someone who has poured over any 1970s, pre-Abbott/Newman episodes that I can find on YT, it would be a shame if a quick snark at Jill at the GCAC was it. I did love Jill's past history being referenced by the characters, and JW had a very Jill-like energy and spring in her step for the first time in a long time (when she isn't saddled to Colin and/or propping Cane).

I would agree that this is the re-set, but it seems a shame that John Abbott's legacy on the show has been sacrificed. Especially when a few weeks ago, we saw Dina (in teen Dina mode) dancing with Victor and mooning over a young John. Now it seems she was more invested in being the town rich ho-bag and shagging all over the country club? I always felt like Jack was meant to be the one who looked most like a young John but failed to inherit many of his good or strong qualities. I don't know where this retcon will end up, it might have been more interesting if Ashley DID turn out to be an Abbott but Jack not, thereby turning the tables. If it's a case of every Abbott checking their DNA, it would be a sorry deterioration of a core family. I certainly don't think Billy should be John Abbott's only true heir.

ITA that this is a hard reset for the show, amid the falling ratings, and that a lot of the SLs appear to have a little more direction or at least purpose at the moment as a result.

Co-sign this post. This has been the closest to Y&R, or at least the beginning of the Jack Smith days (which I admit was a bit exciting AT FIRST), and Mal is doing a decent job of mingling the cast. 

To me, his misstep was putting Cane/Lily back together and getting rid of Juliet. There was a ton of story left there.

• Members
5 minutes ago, Roman said:

Still can't stand Lily and am not a fan of the actress. nothing personal, just think she is not really a good actress. 

bottom line.

If it makes you feel better I cannot stand Cane or the Actor.  You are allowed your opinion as we all are. 

ETA...They should have kept the recast who used to play her. 

Edited by BellCuore

• Members
Just now, BellCuore said:

If it makes you feel better I cannot stand Cane or the Actor.  You are allowed your opinion as we all are. 

when did I say you weren't allowed your opinion? see, this is why people don't like posting on this board. I'm sorry I don't agree with you like you want, but i never said you were not entitled to your opinion. just childish garbage sometimes on this board.

I'm done with this. I'm going back to speaking about the show. you want to carry on this mess....be my guest. 

• Members
5 minutes ago, Roman said:

when did I say you weren't allowed your opinion? see, this is why people don't like posting on this board. I'm sorry I don't agree with you like you want, but i never said you were not entitled to your opinion. just childish garbage sometimes on this board.

I'm done with this. I'm going back to speaking about the show. you want to carry on this mess....be my guest. 

HUH???? I didnt mean anything bad by it at all...I was just sayin'..Chill out.  Reread my post. I said you were allowed your opinion? I dont understand why you are upset as I was supporting you. 

Also I am barely on the board BUT when I am, I do not attack people for their opinion ever. 

Edited by BellCuore

• Members
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, Roman said:

this is why people don't like posting on this board

If you want to know the truth why some barely come here to post YOU NEED to look more closely at things.

I am hardly ever posting here.

I only supported your post and dont understand your attack on me for no reason.....

• Members
On 4/3/2018 at 8:20 AM, BellCuore said:

ETA...They should have kept the recast who used to play her. 

I loved Davetta Sherwood and thought she was the PERFECT mini-Dru! I often wonder where the character would be right now under her portrayal. Definitely not Cane's wife!

• Members
11 hours ago, SteelCity said:

I loved Davetta Sherwood and thought she was the PERFECT mini-Dru! I often wonder where the character would be right now under her portrayal. Definitely not Cane's wife!

She most definitely wouldn't be Cane's wife. But she might be Devon's, crazy as that may sound.