Y&R March 2018 Discussion

• Members

I agree with you re: Kruger's Mac. I remember her as a dull recast, but she had a bit of fire to her. Now that years have gone by and she's been out and about and acting on B&B...she has a better grip on the character.

Jill is Love.

Not aimed at you DF but...now people can like it. People cannot like it. But we all have opinions. To quote other tv shows we will all have to simply DEAL.  But don't throw shade at one person and think someone won't throw it back. JS...

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This week reminded me of one of those final dying soap anniversaries with bad plot driven writing, but some returns and lip service to history to make it seem like they’re honoring it. Overall I was happy to see the characters but it was horribly written, especially the pointless return of the Brooks sisters. What I will say is that it was all worth it for getting to see Traci’s speech in honor of Colleen. How Beth Maitland is off contract baffles me. She commands any scene she is in and brings such heart to the show!

Despite how poorly written it was, it was a joy getting to see Raul, Mac, Britney, Julia and the Brooks sisters.

• Members

Well... it's more a case of 'I am enjoying the show right now, and that's just me.' Obviously not everyone enjoys it, and that's ok (I enjoy this thread's multitude of opinions). Certainly the ratings are reflecting that discontent. I don't want you to think that I am someone who never has criticised the show for not meeting the standards I expect of it. During the JFP years, I was SO ENRAGED at her JFPfication/ABCfication of the show, her shafting of the music and sets and visual allure, her many recasts with pets from her past shows, and the way all dialogue sounded like a sub-GH snarkfest. I tuned out because I just couldn't deal. Even today when I catch sight of a certain set or am reminded of what happened under her tenure, I literally twitch. 

The fact is, even under SSM and Mal, I long for something that apes a little of what the show once was under Bell. I am still not fully accepting that those days have passed. Y&R was a crown jewel for so long, with such a particular style and a HW with such a strong vision. We were spoiled, and we didn't even realise it! Mal is not giving me Bill Bell's vision back. But I do think he has hit on something special with this JT SL. Because it is about character. And the writers seem to embrace writing this story, not rushing it but stretching it out and playing all the beats. And the actors are embracing the slow, tense burn of this story, too. TL is playing this like a mystery -- a mystery of a person's personality and true motives, revealing a little something here and there, like with Traci this week when he basically told her that he idolized Colleen and the nobody, including himself, was living up to her high standard. It was such a small scene and yet pivotal in giving us an idea why JT has turned into this emotional abusive, controlling person. As usual, Thad Luckinbill and Beth Maitland played it beautifully as Traci told him to remember that Colleen was no saint, that she was a human who made mistakes too.

I do have a complaint, and I feel I can complain about it lol. A lot more could have been done with the 45th anniversary imo. First of all, I don't think Julia coming back to chat with Nikki about how wonderful Victor is was needed. He mentally tortured her, and he was a controlling prick to Nikki who now steps out on him with younger, virile lads. I liked the Leslie, Lori, Jill face-off but it was so brief. I honestly would have devoted large portions of an episode or two to these characters and the flashbacks to the true, classic, golden age of Y&R! Why not have a collection of scenes showing Lori and Leslie's rivalry and clashes, culminating in their eventual making up? Why not have Jill the manicurist making eyes at Stuart while Liz Foster looked on, devastated, in the background (even though Jill was played by Brenda Dickson at the time)? It wouldn't have cost Y&R a thing to structure the episodes with some archive material -- and I think it would have given Mal further ideas for the hard re-set of Y&R that you were talking about.

IA something is going to happen with Jack and Traci's DNA test. I noticed that when Abby got the hairbrushes and separated them out into two bags, the police interrupted her. I think something is going to get mixed up somehow.

• Members

Now, Cat, you know I have no problem with you voicing your opinion. In fact, I have no problem with anyone voicing their opinion. My issue comes of people being either mad when I voice my own when I do not even talk with them much or acting like...whether I like it or not...they have an opinion that is opposite of my own and rather than do it in a respectful way wanting to go shady in how they word it. No need for it in a discussion thread. As my name suggest I am live and let live, but it is getting ridiculous how people want to be rude about another's opinion and think people won't get testy back. With trolls I can understand. Everyone else who isn't a troll on the other hand...and btw yes, I know you are not a troll. Personally I enjoy you and Daytime Fan in here for anniversary week.

PS. Just so we're clear (@Kandi Burness), I too have been enjoying the show over the last two weeks other than the points I already mentioned in this thread.

• Members

I saw the announcements of the returns and thought there would have been more. I liked it but yes it was lacking. my regret is that the younger 30ish crowd will not keep the majority of those who returned, because for me, there was more story with them in one week than what has been there in a decade. but, we'll see.

• Members

I know you have no problem! I think we have been posting with each other long enough to know we would likely never have a problem with either of us voicing a different opinion.

I do feel like I have entered a room at the tail-end of a conversation between other people and so don't quite understand everything that is going on. I do hope there isn't too much anger on this thread about the show and stating one's opinion. I had thought that ever since the trolling poster with the two identities left the board, discussion threads were finally able to get back to the business of discussing the shows and no longer sidetracked by purposely provocative BS. I'm sad that some testiness may have returned, hopefully that will dissipate soon...

I hope to keep posting more regularly beyond this anniversary week, but I am usually about 3 episodes behind everybody else (4 if you are in Canada!) so sometimes I feel dumb commenting on something which people already discussed 3 pages back. However, I notice that you are sometimes behind too, so yay! lol. Hopefully Mal gives us a solid re-set to post about.

IA I'm bummed Raul and Brittany won't be sticking around, though Mac possibly might. I thought the reunion between all those 30-something characters were great, even Lily (who was SO INSUFFERABLE locking Hilary in her office with that mouth-breather Cane) was viable interacting with them and talking about her best friend Colleen. And nuBilly wasn't as bad as I thought he would be.

Still, as @DaytimeFan said, Lauren Woodland is a Hollywood lawyer now -- bet she makes more $$$ than she would have on Daytime! Good for her! She was a brief bright light this week (John Enos, you were missed too, boo, lol).

• Members

Same! And I would love to know who negotiated Eileen Davidson's special double-duty contract with Sony AND her contract with Bravo. Because that was a watch-and-learn-how-to-keep-your-50-something-daytime-client-viable-and-relevant-across-different-platforms triple-whammy. Every Daytime actor should be taking notes and calling their agent.

• Members

this right here...and you know something? I thought that John Enos' character would have came back, with the explanation being his death was faked. that's what I get for thinking every show should be DOOL. Comment all you want. this is your show as much as mine or anyone else's. enjoy your comments. we can actually see things differently and not start blowing up at each other. LOL

• Members

Well, MY definitely has us talking that's for sure.

Please register in order to view this content

There have been some moments of testiness. At least it has been in the form of storylines, character motivations, and the likes. However, since some of said storylines tie into old arguments on this board where...no fires got stroked. 

LOL!!! Yeah, I started to tune back in to get ready for the anniversary episodes. And I must admit...I've been liking it. And surprisingly passionate for me. Not even hate-watching...something I was doing once MY began his run. But I see he has a rhyhtm going on for the most part. And I do like discussing it like I did under SS. But yeah...I do get behind...or by way of Canada a day ahead.   

PM about some non-Mac tea since your above comment about Glow by Jabot is right, but wrong.   And yes, I miss me some John ENos.

That said...

FRIDAY

I love to hate Cane/Lily as a scheming duo.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FOR HEVON HOTNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JULIA!!!

I like NuKyle. So very much like his mother. 

ETA: Though I do not like JT's turn...I did love him with Brittany. They get around each other and the old her always comes out. Love that she gets him. But I loved all the Glow by Jabot reunion stuff. 

THIS.

That reminds me...SOD just did a poll for Favorite Y&R Family on the current canvas.

The Abbotts won that easily. And I loved the picture they used with Dina, surrounded by Traci, Ashley, and Jack...old school soap pose style.

Archived