Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She does. But being recurring works to her advantage that way Leslie doesn't get as horribly warped as the contract characters (Hilary) and/or doesn't wear out her welcome (Gloria) like others.

B&B should've hired a trans actress to play Maya and written her off after the arc played out.

• Members

Scott and Abby won't every set the world on fire but I don't think they are bad. They'll do. Which isn't good I suppose. Lol

@ChitHappens Starting this thing with Hilary then seemingly (might not last) backing out is just another round of wasted viewer trust with no payoff for the character. It was pointless and did the character no favors in the long run. 

EB is never happy when Victor's family is allowed to call Victor to the carpet. Besides, victor does nothing when he's on. I don't think it's being bored so much as not being given anything to do. 

What's the purpose of Scott and Sharon? Just so she can be hurt. Angst for Scott who wants Abby? It's not like Scott and Sharon have much that prevents him from pursuing Abby if he wants. Very low stakes her. 

• Members

This show has become absolutely DREADFUL. Some thoughts:

1. Who is responsible for all of this wretched singing? Every single episode, it's either that terribly cast Reed or the boring homely girl who only talks about being broke and homely? First of all, music on daytime doesn't rate. Everyone knows that. It's been known for years, so why Y&R is insisting on shoving a bunch of singers down the viewers throats who sound like they have something stuck in their throat - I have no clue. I would love to get through a week of shows without feeling like I'm watching the terrible audition part of American Idol. 

2. Pacing and balance on this show sucks. There is absolutely no reason that Victoria should be on as much as she has been. She led episodes in 2016 and is leading them in 2017 by a wide margin. It's absurd. Who the hell ever thought that centering Y&R around Amelia Heinle was a good idea? Why is it that stories disappear for weeks? Kevin and Chloe return in 2 weeks and their story picks back up - who the hell will care? This show goes through long stretches of not even mentioning a story and then randomly picks it up again weeks later expecting people to still give a damn. No. 

3. Where are the ACTUAL stories? Devon doesn't have a story. Mariah doesn't have a story. Sharon talking about writing a term paper and having dry boring sex with Scott isn't a story. What is Hilary's story? Some scenes of her counseling Juliet - also not a freaking story. Phyllis and Billy have boring repetitive conversations about Victoria in the most boring psuedo triangle EVER written - still not a story for Phyllis. What is Victor's story? Babysitting Abby and Scott? Is Nikki's story playing a Yamaha and counseling the homeless girl? Is that supposed to be a story?  

This show currently has two stories - the sexual harassment one (I don't care about this at all anymore - I hate the rewrite of Juliet to facilitate this stupidity and I also question Sally doing two fake sexual harassment stories in a 6 month span) and Dina's return (which I have already lost interest in because of the pacing). Lauren? Michael? Paul? Neil? Their stories are where? Oh but wait, newbie Zack has a secret and so does newbie Tessa, and newbie Jordan too...does anyone care? Nope. Chelsea and Nick we see every few weeks just to remind us that Adam is still dead and nobody knows where Chloe is, yawn.

4. Brash & Sassy and GC Buzz both need to go. Now. Neither works and they never have worked. They second they built that dumb cramped set for Brash & Sassy and kicked Ashley out of her lab I knew it would be a flop.  Centering the entire show around this rinky dink company with an office the size of the closet doesn't work. I would much rather see a large cast of characters working at Newman, Jabot and Chancellor then the same dull three (Billy, Cane, Victoria) working in a room the size of a port a potty. And GC Buzz has never made a lick of sense. Is it local or national? Is it a tabloid show, is it investigative journalism, is it inspirational/motivational? Is it celebrity driven (even pretending it is when the show takes place in Wisconsin was always dumb)? The show doesn't know and at this point I don't care. Get rid of it. 

5. The dialogue is atrocious. I understand that every writer brings in their own team, but this was the best Sally could find? The scenes of the teens when they first appeared was so embarrassing, I had to turn it off.  

Also there are a lot of actors phoning in their performances here lately or just not giving any effort whatsoever, but considering the writing I don't even know if I blame them. 

• Members

Yeah, I really disagree that the show is dreadful. I mean, it is way better than the other three soaps on TV. That's not saying much, so let me say that to me it's better than it's been since LML wrecked it. 

I think the the sexual harassment story is great. So many times on soaps these days, there is the problem of nothing meaning anything. Now Cane's actions are having real effects for multiple characters on the canvas, and instead of rushing the denouement they are playing every beat of the storyline and going through the excruciating minutiae.

I do not think it's a problem that not everyone has a story. What Y&R used to do so well was to make Genoa City feel like a real community where you saw characters even if they weren't front burner at that time, and I think they're doing a good job with bringing that back.

Dialogue wasn't Y&R's strength ever, but I didn't notice it being particularly bad. 

Im not saying it's perfect, but it has piqued my interest and I've watched more episodes this month than I've watched in 10 years. JMO and YMMV. 

• Members

The last time I felt the show was genuinely good was maybe 2004 or 2005? But regardless, I've come to realize (and I kind of hate to admit this because it's a motto that Brad Bell lives by that has always annoyed me), that I'd rather be enraged by a show than bored by it.  Sally is boring to me. I just don't care. It's complete apathy for these stories and so many of these characters. 

I'd be open to a co-HW for her (and I can't imagine that CBS & Sony aren't considering one since she's been here six months and there have only been like 5 weeks where she actually increased ratings or demos).  By any standard, that is terrible and should be nearly unacceptable for the show (3 year renewal or not, a show can't lose 750,000 viewers and execs look the other way) 

There are also entirely too many stupid insipid triangles. Let's count them:

Phyllis/Billy/Victoria - lethargic, boring and consists mainly of Phyllis being insecure for no reason and Victoria talking about going to a damn zoo and a Jamaica trip from 7 years ago over and over

Hilary/Devon/Mariah - painful

Sharon/Scott/Abby - so Scott and Sharon have sex and the next day they have her noticing the heat between Scott and Abby and Scott accusing her of being jealous? Subtle Sally.

Victor/Nikki/Jack - (look at the spoilers for next week)

Lily/Cane/Juliet

Zack/Abby/Scott - who the hell cares?

Annoying blonde teen/Reed/Annoying brunette teen - see above

Hilary/Jordan/Lily - Jordan is a dud

Then when Adam returns I'm sure we'll get some variation of Adam/Chelsea/Nick and Chelsea/Nick/Sharon and hell they might even throw in some Chelsea/Adam/Sharon. It's too much. How and why does Sally think anyone would get invested in any of these pairings when she throws a third party in almost immediately after they get together? I couldn't care less about any of them. 

I'll say that I liked the Dina story initially. Marla Adams is great. I've lost interest in it now because I think we have reached my tolerance for Jack and Ashley having the same repetitive tedious conversations while NOTHING. ACTUALLY HAPPENS.

That's the issue with Sally, nothing happens!  Like this awful triangle between Phyllis, Billy and Victoria. First of all, Victoria and Phyllis sucks as rivals. There's absolutely nothing there but regardless they turned Phyllis extremely insecure about 24 hours after she and Billy slept together for no real reason - there was zero buildup to it and nothing onscreen that actually justified it and they now have her going around saying "Victoria is plotting" and Victoria is even warning her and making these big proclamations that she's getting Billy back and will fight for him and Victoria "fighting" for Billy has not amounted to a damn thing but her planning a zoo trip and viewers having to listen to that stupid Jamaica story for the zillionth time. It's boring!  

Someone needs to do something!  And that goes for almost all the characters on the show. Everyone is so painfully passive and reactive, nobody is proactive at all or actually driving story forward. It feels like literally everything is in neutral.

• Members

I'm willing to give Greg the benefit of a doubt just because he's been on the show for so long. I don't care for Kevin, but I think the actor should get a decent send off.

No one is saying that the Juliet actress is great, but she's not terrible. I remember when Vail Bloom first started so many people hated her Heather, and then when she was let go everyone wanted her back lol.

I'm going to give Amelia Heinle the benefit of the doubt. She is a low energy actress, but she's selling this story pretty well. There is improvement, and rather than nitpick her every move, I'll give her some kudos. I haven't been interested in Victoria in years, and I blame 60% of that on the writing.

Scott is horrible. I like the other guy Abby is talking to for the start up, but he's clearly a creep (but I guess that's usually the way it goes)

I don't mind Victor or Eric Braeden. As long as they don't overwrite Victor, I think he should be here until Y&R final curtain. Love or hate the man, but he is the fabric of Y&R and I don't think the soap has more 10 years in it.

When it comes to Jill, I think it has to do with Jess Walton. She is semi-retired, non?

If Dina and Jill don't share scenes before Dina "leaves" then I'll be terribly disappointed.

I see a lot of things finally materializing. Did you watch Y&R back in the day? Because, there was never really stories, but more characterization. So if you are bored now, you would have been bored then. You also probably don't watch Games of Thrones who also goes long stretches without telling a specific story.

Lastly, Y&R has a budget. They can only do so much. It's also summer, this is what I've always remembered on Y&R. Summer is about teens, teen angst, and singing.

• Members

Just WOW. Your 2 long rants are something else. I just don't feel we're watching the same show, and you have so many complaints, I have no clue what you want to see or what would please you. Do you enjoy ANY television shows at all?

i know I'm wasting my time going into detail on all I disagree with, but take your point number 1. That's not even true. There's NOT music on every episode and singers have NOT been shoved down our throats.

Aside from the full song with the montage closing an ep last week, we've been given snippets of music, and that's it. Anyone watching every day knows that.

And I'm no fan of Tessa, but the actress playing her is not homely.

i think there ARE actual stories on Y&R and I think the dialogue is not only NOT atrocious, but that it's fine.

i don't like the GC Buzz stuff, but the Brash & Sassy stuff has worked. We don't need all these characters running around the same two halls at Newman and Jabot. Seriously, who cares how frickin small the B&S office is?

i also think you're WAY off base in accusing actors of making no effort and of phoning in their performances. Where you're getting that I have no clue.

Your 2nd rant? Forget it. I'm exhausted.

Archived