Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absolutely agreed. MM is wonderful. I enjoy every scene she's in and she seems to really be relishing what they're giving her. I love how much she's mixing it up with other people. She was far too stuck in Devon/Mariah's orbit for a while. Not having GC Buzz as her focus has also helped tremendously.

I know a few here are invested in Devon and Hilary but I've been enjoying her SO much more away from him and that coupling. Not that I wouldn't mind them again but man she's been on fire without that dragging her down.

• Members

Ideally this sexual harrassment story should be an umbrella story that runs for several years ending with a "Who Shot Hilary" mystery and a Hevon reunion.

However under SSM's regime it'll probably last (at best) until the end of summer then everything will return to Y&R's status quo.

• Members

I'm a huge Hevon stan but I have to agree that Hilary is far more entertaining without Devon's sanctimony taking up space in her life. I don't like this villainess writing for Hilary  but MiM works with it and it gets folks talking.  It's a shame for BJ though. Cause if we see it, then I'm sure TPTB sees it too. I fear he's destined for the backburner and supporting to Lily's life once again while he's stuck in this chemless pairing with CG as Mariah leads and is featured in that music business that he owns.  Tomorrow's US show is a prime example of that.

Please register in order to view this content

I'm pretty sure the show has lost interest in him already. He's just there. They'll probably pair MiM with someone they do have interest in. I just pray it's not Jack or victor. 

• Members

I believe CKLily finally going to be backburn once her & Cane separate. Her kids going to have more screen time then her. I wish they write for Devon like they are writing for Hilary. They could be a real strong Couple when they get back together.

• Members

I was wondering how you felt about the writing for Hils.  MM is working with it, and doing a damn good job but I hope TPTB give her some moments of vulnerability to soften her.  She can't be a bitch all the time, it gets to be too much.  I hope they haven't lost interest in Devon, but he has gotten significantly less airtime and story since being apart from Hilary.  And Jack or Victor?  PLEASE NO!  Ugh. 

• Members

They had started to do but that seems to have dried up for Devon. He's now playing supporting to CG in story he should be leading. And lily will not be backburned. She's Hilary's main rival that works better than Mariah.  The show sees that too, I'm sure. Lily and Hilary will fight over Jordan or whoever and whatever. She won't be backburned.  

• Members

Devon started strong after the break up. New business and pairing. But it has slowly tapered off. There is no reason for that cause they could have used him many times to play beats to story but they skip it to give it ALL to Mariah instead. Every scene with hilary went to Mariah. Every scene in his music business goes to Mariah. Why couldn't he be allowed to sign Tessa on his own? Mariah's involvement with him and hilary reeks of making her relevant at Devon's expense. They've given her his airtime. I hate it! 

Hilary's writing is terrible. She's a one note villain who has no rhyme or reason for her sctions other than TPTB decided they needed her as the main antagonist for lily and cane cause Juliet wasn't a big enough threat nor brought enough fan interest/fire power. It's so odd to me how Cane is in her face as if she brought on the suit instead of Juliet. In a week's time she became the central player driving this like she slept with Cane. This story is warped and illogical. Hilary's behavior makes no sense. 

Agree she can't be a bitch to everyone all the time. Yet, she is. She uses and abuses everyone except jack. Hes her only authentic  relationship and it gets very little play. Cause of it she has no real friends, no family, nothing to humanize her. One scene with Devon a month making eyes at him doesn't work cause fans think it's phoney anyway. Most don't even think she loves him.  It doesn't bode well for her future IMO. I wouldn't be shocked to see a who killed hilary story. Seems headed there to me. 

• Members

You make some excellent points, especially this part in bold.  The Juliet stuff is a missed opportunity to have Hils befriend her first instead of the manipulative way it's being done now.  I would like to see Hilary have a true friend, a confidant that she can lean on.  Since "the shift", the vulnerable part of her has been non-existent.  Remember those scenes she shared with Chelsea a few months back?  Or the Hilary that was truly remorseful after Devon's accident?  The rivalry with Lily has been long established, so I necessarily agree that it's out of nowhere and it's driving her behavior now.  But it would be nice if over these last several months, Hils had someone in her corner instead of everyone thinking how horrible she is.  Hell, bring back Mason if they have to.  Or shift her dynamic with Mariah. 

• Members

I agree there needs to be some balance with Hilary. Her having a confidant would be nice. I enjoyed her with Howard in LA because it gave her someone to talk to and plot with. Not that it needs to be "plotting" all the time but she still had someone to talk to. I think they made the biggest mistake making Hilary and Mariah rivals. Mariah could have been her talk-to. But even then I think someone like Juliet could work better. Mariah seems better suited for the Tessa/Noah stuff than Hilary. I don't hate Mariah like some but Hilary is a league above her, JMO.

I mean, she has Jack but that's pretty infrequent. She could use someone else.

Her rivalry with Lily isn't exactly out of nowhere. It works a lot better to me and I'm enjoying it. You can tell the actresses enjoy it and DG is enjoying it as well. And I agree with the rest that DG needs to get over his qualms and embrace Cane like this. MUCH better. I think he's terrified he'll be written out if not attached at the hip to Lily, I think that's why he clings to it.

It's disappointing to see Devon sidelined.

• Members

The show never misses an opportunity to have hilary manipulate or be mean.  Many times it is unnecessary and another route would be just as effective.   I don't think hilary being in this story was the original plan. It feels like a rewrite. So they didn't really have time to establish Juliet and Hilary as friends. However, there is no reason now why Hilary can't have an authentic relationship with Juliet since she's in the story. But so far, it's not.  

Another reason I think this is a rewrite is cause Hilary has absolutely nothing to lose in this story.  There are no stakes for her.  I assume that's why they had her and Devon have a moment 2 weeks in a row after going so long without them sharing any scenes. But they aren't together anyway so who cares if he finds out about her "involvement", which is minimal despite the show writing it as if she's the main antagonist. 

I've wanted Hilary to have a female friend for the longest time.  But the show has her rival every woman she comes into contact with. It's overkill. Next on deck is Vikki. I assume they think she needs the boost to get folks to root for her. Hilary must be her villain to make that happen. Grrr...it's so frustrating.  

• Members

Oh, I would agree with you on that. He was making progress, especially back in the day when Victor confronted his own father and Nick was a part of those scenes. Also, when he turned against Victor and towards Jack. That was some compelling relationship material right there. But I would argue that since JFP, if not before, Y&R was trying to ABCify itself, and that extended to the scripts and the acting, unfortunately. The signature deep-dive, slow-boil scenes examining characters' underlying psychology were discarded in favor of chewing through 6 months worth of crazy plot in a matter of weeks. Nick was reduced to propping up every new starlet the show hired his way. JM is out of practice and, as long as he stays on the protein shakes and those HIIT workouts, he knows he doesn't need to really try, acting-wise. I think he is only incentivised to do better when his screen partners step it up. I suspect if somebody like MM was one of his acting partners, he'd have to stay on his toes.

Archived