Y&R: April 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

@DeeeDee @ajsp35801 I think DK would be better if they let him play Jordan more like a goofball. He definitely can't sell the generic suave black guy archetype they're trying to push which makes me question why he was even hired for the role in the first place.

The Hevon divorce scenes were great today minus Neil, Mariah, and Jordan stinking up the joint.

I like the Jack/Phyllis/Billy stuff too even though the parking lot/elevator scenes were clunky

Juliet needs some fire lit under her. There is potential but everything is written so dryly and the set up is so repetitive.

Lastly, Villy sucks

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The way she looked at Cane and Lily it was obvious she going nuts soon a la our Sheila 2.0.  Juliet gave Cane all the clues to put 2 and 2 together. I was surprised he didn't go directly to Victoria and tell her that she needed to be replaced. Juliet was pretty much glowing that she got Victoria wasted. Too bad its a boring story since I don't care for any of the people involved. Lane has been boring since day 1 for me.

• Members

I don't think he will get even that. He hasn't taken off at all. Very limited interest in him. He will just disappear after Hilary admits she never loved him. 

Re: Hilary though. What's the difference between Devon being with Mariah versus Hilary with Noah? If they'll do one, why not the other? 

@deedee @detroitpiston I agree that Jordan would be better if they allowed him to be something other than Malcolm 2.0. He's ill suited for that. His line delivery is terrible. TERRIBLE, I say! I really wanted to like him, too. He was hired because he is super tall with nice pecs. I figured TPTB thought that'd even the playing field between him and a short billionaire Devon.  Misfire, imo. 

Hevon has chemistry in spades. They are great even with simple scenes. They're gonna have to keep them out of scenes together if they hope to convince me that they are moved on. Their new pairings just don't compare. Although I think Mishael could make it work if she had the slightest bit from DK. But he gives her nothing. 

• Members

I like Devon with Hilary, but my God, those divorce scenes on the courthouse steps were awful. Clunky to the extreme. Would Devon really go into detail about his new enterprise, giving Hilary all that information? Just so bad.

Mariah is on my last nerve with her work complaints. She complains about EVERYTHING, and in real life, she'd be told to shut up and/or fired immediately. It's Hilary's show, and that means she has NO say. It's not as if Mariah is some in-demand tv star. Hilary's turnaround with her "It's a new me" was also ridiculous.

The entire GC Buzz thing is a mess. If they can't at least approximate reality, then dump the entire thing. No show is run like this, with people making crap up as they go along.

• Members

You'd think since these folks write a TV show they'd be able to write a story about one. It's not like they don't know how these shows work. Where are advertisers, network execs, writing meetings, etc. I think that in their effort to keep it small and unimportant, they destroyed it  

Mariah is insubordinate. Just once, I'd like to hear someone tell Mariah just what you said. She's an employee. Yet somehow Hilary is wrong and the villain for running her own show how she sees fit. How? 

You know fully well Charlie won't be getting any story onscreen that showcases his sexuality. It'll be 10 years from now before he gets a real onscreen love interest....which will probably be aunt Hilary. 

• Members

I thought the GC Buzz tv show was a bad idea from the get-go. The only character who I think could truly make a gossip show or any type of show work was Leanna Love. 

Other posters kept trying to say it was a better fit for Hillary than her corporate origins but this TV show does nothing for her character, in fact, it's made things worse for the Hillary character. At least in the corporate arena, Hillary's guile could've been put to good use, now it's seen as a liability and as a foil to Mariah, who looks like a damsel being pinned to the railroad tracks. 

No one is ever going to convince me that this GC Buzz nonsense has been a good idea.

Speaking of Hillary,

Does anyone truly believe that Hillary and Devon are done for good?  Because I definitely don't.

Even though the dialogue on the courthouse steps was awfully clunky as were parts of Hillary's GC Buzz monologue (MM tried to make it work but somethings were definitely off in the delivery), of all the characters present together in those scenes, Devon and Hillary had the most natural chemistry.

Neil being inserted in those courthouse scenes was just awkward and it almost made me chuckle to see him walk right behind, almost between Devon and Hillary as they all stood in front of the courthouse (who did that blocking?!

Please register in order to view this content

)  The insertion of Mariah and Jordan into those GC Buzz scenes felt inauthentic and forced, almost like the four were doing an oddly choreographed square dance where partners kept fumbling as they tried to take each other's hand.

Speaking of tableaus,

Those tableaus of Jack, Phyllis and Billy- especially in the elevator were very interesting. The dialogue was intentionally awkward and visually, looking at the three of them-- well, at least it wasn't boring.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Juliet ended up feeling more attracted to Lily, not Cane? In those scenes I kept watching and thinking what if Cane thought it was all about him but it turned up that Juliet had truly dismissed their daliance as in the past, decided that she was not interested in him romantically but felt drawn to Lily?

That could be a twist. Juliet could be non-binary.

• Members

Sally is trying to copy Leanna Love with GC Buzz and it isn't working. It needs to drop like yesterday.

Y&R hasn't been able to do a male to male relationship/a certain someone has been begging for a story like that and still nothing. So why would Sally do a woman to woman relationship? I will never happen. Y&R has lost any luster it once had...that special mystique that no other soap had so doing a same sex story wouldn't ruin that mystique since they lost that long time ago. I shouldn't talk since B&B its sister show hasn't done one either. Shame on both soaps.

• Members

Yeah, I was only musing on this. I know darn well that Y&R (and all of the remaining soaps) are incapable of doing truly complex characterizations and stories. I wouldn't trust any of them to write a non-binary, sexual or homosexual character. I don't really even trust them to write complex characters of color or even women!  

And it's well established that Y&R will have go nowhere near a Nuke/ATWT type relationship as Y&R is the most conservative of all the remaining soaps and has been for several years.

• Members

The tone of today's show alone is proof that something has happened in the writing room.  What a difference.  Even aspects of the production - they are using a lot more exterior shots (the ranch, Jabot) that frankly, I haven't missed but I noticed them today.  The show felt very...JFP.

Archived