Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hillary told Devon she was interested in entertaining GC's elite. She's gearing up to social climb. Devon wasn't like that before, he was more like Nick and the other wealthy child heirs. Look at what Nick has lived in all of his life. Jill didn't live in a mansion at Devon's age. She had to wait until she was in her 60s to run her own home so I'm not going to feel sorry for Devon having to endure living in a suite at the GCAC.

The expensive car probably had a reserve/minimum bid on it. That's how expensive items at auctions usually work, unless someone like Victor makes a total donation out of it. Anyways even if there wasn't a reserve, the  amount above market price is what can be written off for charity. Buying yourself a $300,000 car for $300,000 at a charity action instead of from a dealer doesn't make you charitable. Whatever Devon paid over list price is his donation. It's the law. "He could have written check and gotten nothing but that wasn't the nature of the fund raiser."- it certainly was. Didn't Kevin do just that? 

The story on-screen seems to say that Jill does care about Devon, maybe fan fiction doesn't say so, but until the writers write Jill as not caring there's no reason to argue your point.

• Members

And devon is still not like that.

Devon doesn't live in a mansion. Devon lives in a penthouse apartment like Adam did. It wasn't a problem for Adam though. Go figure? 

You're totally reaching and twisting to paint a straight forward charitable act as something other than what it was. Devon is not in kevin's league. He's in Victor's. Victor did the same thing but no issues with him though.  Seethe! 

• Members

No Devon is not like that, but that Hillary is.

Regarding charity auctions, it works the same for everybody. I helped put these on for years so I understand how they work. Victor did buy an item, he also donated an auction item And that's the big donation. You can write that off 100% because you donated 100% since none of it goes to you, it goes to the buyer. Whatever Victor bought works the same as Devon's purchase. Only the amount over the value is considered a donation by the IRS. The charity makes money by ticket sales, donations and auction, it's a combination. I assume Devon ,Victor and many others wrote checks also. But buying a car for yourself is not a charitable act. But I believe he paid over value which was a donation over and above if he bought from a dealer.. 

I've bought many smaller things at these types of events. Since I bought them undervalue I was the one benefiting the most, the charity was second. The bigger donation was from the providers of the item.

• Members

Yup, it was me that wondered if they were going to play other consequences of the accident.  I'm not sure if they're going there with the question to Jack about serving alcohol at the benefit auction...it sorta feels like it, but who knows.  I was hoping to see more remorse from Mariah, Jack supporting Hilary and Lily questioning her role in feeding the fire.

Are you being facetious IRT Paul charging Devon??

LOL @ the paint brush.  Here I was thinking it looked pretty good.  Haha

And yes, Hilary doesn't need to be continually raked over the coals for her role in Mariah's fall.  I keep hoping the writers have a twist there, since we didn't actually see her do it.  I guess at this point I should give up the ghost.

The way the episode concluded was well done.  

• Members

Why wouldn't Paul charge Devon? He absolutely would be charged for driving that fast and having an accident. My mother was given a ticket in similar circumstances and she was only going about 10 over the limit on an icy country road and she was seriously injured.  Going as fast as Devon was is likely a felony, not that I would want to see him in jail.  I was glad Abby showed up at the hospital.

• Members

And ensuing excuse by Victor....that he did it ALLLLLL to protect his FAMILEHHHHH!  From the DOM PARAGON VIRUSSSSSS!  DON'T YOU SEEEE!!!!!? It was IAN WAHD AND JACK AND the PARAGONNNN VIRUSSSS!   Which all happened after every awful thing he engineered with Marco but no one was supposed to notice the timing....or the reasoning....or any of it.  And exactly with the prison doctor....another person for Victor to pork.  Or the Towering Inferno....don't forget days going by and the whole building could collapse at any second....yet people are coming and going constantly but the people at the top of the tower are in grave danger.....and Genoa City Police only have 1 Helicopter.  Newman doesn't even have a Helicopter but the building has a helipad.  Just God Awful stuff. 

• Members

Bree Williamson was absolutely AWFUL.  I certainly wouldn't want her ruining another soap.  BTW, why aren't you over at the GH board.....is it because everyone is talking about Y&R (45 pages) and nobody posts about GH (5 pages)?

Archived