Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

It's easy, Devon almost died. It's reasonable for Jill to think she better start paying attention to Katherine's grandson even if she wasn't before. 

Jill didn't need to pay attention before Hillary, Devon was a laid back guy, even after he inherited Kay's money. Now that he's married to Hillary he's spending money hand over foot. Devon was never spendy or show-offish, but in an effort to please Hillary he's changing.

Because of this change Devon almost lost his life. He was going 150 miles per hour in a powerful sports car that he had never driven before. That's not the careful Devon they knew. I would say that's a huge cause for concern and good reason for Jill to think Hillary is the cause of all his problems and she needs to step in. Not to mention, I'm sure Jill is getting an earful from Lily, Cane and Neil. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The problem is, none of this has been shown on screen.  

IA with Julia, ajsp and others...Jill has never shown any interest in Devon.  Ever.  Even if this were not Y&R that we are talking about, ANY television show would explain this sudden shift in character.  The writers cannot expect every viewer to come to the "reasonable" conclusions that you have come to, it leaves too much to interpretation.. And besides, that's not good storytelling.

• Members

To add to this, if a relatively new viewer starts watching, say two or three weeks ago, how are they to know why Jill feels this way about Devon?

Television is a visual medium, you've got to show people what a person thinks and why they think it. Making too many assumptions can leave a lot of room for a world of misinterpretations- especially for a character like Jill, whom I've said before, has never been a subtle character. 

Y&R is on 5 days a week, I think, if managed properly, they have the time to show transitions and character shifts. As long as they pair these transitions with actions, I think it would be worth it.

• Members

It be nice if they did better, but they are doing better than MAB & Pratt who had no regard for history at all. It has to be hard remembering each characters crazy life and each & every family connection. Unless I missed it, I didn't see anyone talk about hearing from Tucker, YoHarmony, or Anna.  Are they estranged or do we assume they called? 

Jill's never been a subtle character but since MAB she hasn't had any screen time either, so she has very little time to say much of anything. They've forced viewers to assume with her for almost a decade. Victoria and Billy spent a year adopting, then losing, Lucy and Jill was never aware of it, so it didn't faze me that Jill started talking about Devon. The only old-time character that gets to play every beat is Victor.

Some of it was. I saw the change of Devon on screen, and I watched all 40 years of Jill and Katherine.  I understand new viewers wouldn't understand the relationship between Jill & Katherine, or even who Katherine was at all, so they should throw in a line about that here and there. Some Jill & Kay flashbacks would be even better

I didn't see Jill's interest in Devon play out, but maybe it wasn't there before the accident. We saw that Billy was the one having problems,and that Jill was consumed with that. Devon was fine. Now that's somethings happened to Devon she'll be interested. Just like when her son Philip had knee problems. She hadn't mentioned him in years him until he had problems, then she went down to help.

• Members

Yep. This is no different than if Nick started suddenly treating Mariah like a step daughter and someone tried to tell me the reason was because she's Cassie's twin. Nope. It's way too late for that to be a reason. I need something I can believe when these characters change course.

• Members

I was never a fan of this character in the first place, although I think he was nuanced and interesting for a long time, even as the stories themselves increasingly leaned toward hero worship thanks to Kay Alden. But the turning point for me was the awful story where he publicly humiliated Colleen and did his best to decimate the Abbotts, yet still got her heart, even after his schemes caused her death in the first place. It was just disgusting writing and it was obvious the show viewed Victor not as a character, but a vengeful god worthy of any sacrifice. 

• Members

It's funny I think that smack resulted in the Victor we've had for the last ten years. If I recall correctly Braeden was NOT happy with that scene. He's not a fan of any story in which Victor loses or appears emasculated and will rail against it. So having Victor's own daughter smack him probably enraged him.

• Members

That was also very terrible. Throwing Diane out of a moving vehicle is also one of my top 10 hateful things he's done. And it didn't come with a PSA on domestic violence. Victor was played as righteous. I can't stand to look at him onscreen these days 

• Members

Good show today.  I liked Jack's scenes with Hilary, it was good to see someone concerned about her and giving her good advice.  I may not buy them as "friends", but Jack taking on a mentor role with her does work for me.   

Jill/Jack shared some good scenes too.  She still has a hard on for Hilary, but maybe Jack will talk some sense into her?  Idk lol

Hilary and Devon at the end of the show was so soapy, the back and forth.  Her ready to tell him everything, he interrupting that all that matters is their time together.  

Mishael 

Please register in order to view this content

Tmr tho 

Oh and I'm liking Reed.  The freak.  lol jk 

Archived