Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I remember Jamey Giddens saying that the show has tried to tell stories focused on Jill and business but the network typically forces the show to rework it to include or center on Cane. That's why he's never far from any story she's involved in. 

Even the latest story with her buying CI from Victor, Cane was shoehorned into those scenes. He was totally unnecessary. 

I agree with you that this is a totally different situation with Hilary and Devon. It feels fresh to me. Just cause Hilary made the choice to tell the truth, she's not running from devon towards some old man, she's not being some villain, nor is she being mean just to be mean. This is the writing I've been waiting on for her. The premise is weak but her behavior had been understandable and relatable. I'm digging it 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

@DramatistDreamer I'd love to see CI as a viable company. Jill, unlike Katherine, can do more than sign papers, it is wasting Jill's talents. But I can't see them adding another empire, and both Newman & Jabot have lot's of family to keep theirs on screen. A Chance return would be essential, someone needs to be named Chancellor, and he's a legacy child born onscreen. Plus all that military and Washington DC experience could make for a good-to-go executive. Then add Mac or Phillip3 later.

There's a lot of Chancellor history that roots the company in GC but Jill is the only one left onscreen to represent it, and she's part time.

• Members

If they could cast a good actor for Chance, even on recurring, that would be a good start. Jess Walton has given the impression that if given a worthwhile storyline she'd roll up her sleeves and get to work. 

We're in agreement that Jill, as the only character that has that link to the OG Y&R, it would be fitting for Jill to be seen as captain of her industry, on par with the Jacks and the Victor Newmans of the world.

I don't know whether SS will actually write Victor as stepping down from head of NE but if they do this (as has been hinted at), it would be imperative to have someone who can go head to head with Jack and the only remaining character on that level is Jill.

I just don't see Victoria on that level.

In a genre that relies on women so much, and it being 2017 and all, it really is time for an experienced female CEO who can play hardball and stand to toe with the likes of Jack and Victor, who stands alone and is not going to be in competition with her brother for the position. 

Jill has schemed and charmed and seduced but she's also worked very hard. As a character who started off doing nails to support her family, it is the ultimate rise to the top story and I just don't know why Y&R hasn't played it to the hilt, or at least for what it is worth.

• Members

One of the reasons why I am disappointed that Hillary was shifted away from the corporate life and into entertainment. Y&R has never had a Black female executive and Hillary was ascending the corporate ladder at Jabot. This many not seem like a big deal to some but representation matters, especially when you've never seen it on the show before. If there was another corporate titan besides NE and Jabot, and since Jill and Hill have had great combative chemistry before, there are several great storylines just waiting to be explored at CI.

That's my opinion but I'm hoping someone from Y&R hears me!  Take this premise please!

Please register in order to view this content

Archived