Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's hardly Jill vs. Hillary if billionaire Devon is an investor in Jill's company. Talk about Mariah's fall being lame, how lame would it have been for Jill to have a billionaire on her side again Katherine all these decades. It doesn't seem like anyone is looking for a fair fight, more like an automatic Devon/Hillary win from the start.

If Hillary can't take Jill on all by herself she isn't worthy.

I meant 20 something. He's in his 20s.

• Members

Without Hilary being married to Devon, who is the investor in CI, what reason does Hilary have to be involved in the company at all? So Hilary comes on as an employee and decides CI belongs to her? That is not rational. 

28. It was just said onscreen as he was rolled into the hospital. It's accurate. When it was stated aloud I thought it was refreshing for the show to br able to tell the truth about a characters age instead of fudging some older characters age to make them younger, i.e. when Jack was said to be 40 about 4 years ago. 

I do like Jack as hilary's mentor and father figure. She needs a sounding board and an opportunity to explain her actions to the audience. He provides that. Besides, it's about time the writers offered a counterpart to the hilary is evil narrative. 

I always enjoy devon and hilary scenes. Also thought it was classic soap. Her ready to tell and do the right thing but not being able to because he insists on getting his point out first. 

Mishael continues to be very compelling. She can make almost anything work. Love her. 

Now I'm intrigued about what Devon plans to do. I can't even imagine. 

• Members

But Hillary ( and Devon) have never expressed an interest in CI. And what would their interest be? Devon quit Jabot because he didn't like it, it wasn't for him. Katherine offered to set up a music company in CI, especially for him to run, and Devon wasn't interested. Tucker offered to set up a McCall Unlimited subsidiary in GC,  just for Devon, and he didn't want it. I'm sure if Hillary, or Devon, did become interested Tucker would still be happy to do it for them (after he had sex w/Hillary). Why fight Jill for something they never cared about before in their lives?

And why would Devon & Hillary care about CI more than McCall Unlimited? They weren't any closer to Katherine than they were to Tucker. If Devon becomes interested in business what better way to learn than from his successful father. He would need at least 10 years of learning, after he finds the desire, to run a multi-national corporation. Victor's back story was self-made successful business man, Jack learned from John and competed with Jill. Jill worked her way up over decades. She ran the Men's line successfully before a corporation. All these played out for many years. If you want to see everything play out onscreen Devon's got a long long way to go.

Exactly, there is no reason for either of them to be involved. Devon loaned Jill money, which I assume she paid back since she had the money to bail out Billy w/Brash & Sassy. He's not an investor/stockholder.

Katherine gave Devon a lot of money, why would Devon & Hillary decide they didn't get enough from Kay and go after her old company? That's rather selfish. Of course it could make a good story if Mac, Brock and both the Phillips return to help Jill. Katherine screwed them all, but all together what they received equals Devon fortune.

• Members

Devon worked as a producer for McCall until he was fired over allowing Noah to get out of a contract. Then he became the president of the music division of CI, which he loved until he found out Kay only gave it to him because she found out he was her grandson and was playing tug of war over him with Tucker. Details matter. 

Let's hope that if Devon does become interested in CI that the show will spend more time telling us why onscreen than they did with Jill suddenly caring about Devon's well being. But I'm pretty sure it's easy to do. Just say Devon wants to make his grandmother proud and will honor her by protecting the company she loved. Works for me. I'd buy it and I'm sure the audience would also. 

• Members

I don't think so. Most of the audience is confused on why Devon got more money than Chance, Mac, Philip and Brock put together. We saw all those relationships play out onscreen day after day, over decades, and Katherine screws them all in the end? It would make the most sense if Chance came back for CI. It's his namesake and he never got to know his grandfather.

I don't see anyone connecting Devon to Chancellor Industries. Why would they?  If Kay wanted Devon in Chancellor she would have left him shares. And Tucker offered him that position in McCall right before he left and they weren't having problems then. Again all Devon has to do is call his bio-daddy if he wants more of something.

• Members

I don't think most of the audience is confused at all. They know it was Kay's money to do as she pleased and they know devon is her grandson. There will always be folks who won't accept these connections for various reasons but I dont think for a second it's most of the audience. 

I've watched this show since 1990, I didn't see much of anything play out with Brock. He hasn't been a regular during any of my time. I have no connection to him. Both Phillips died before this time. I have no connection to those relationships. I did see Mac and that's one that I care about. Chance hasn't been an adult onscreen for any length of time. I remember him as a child but I don't have much of a connection there either. My point is, I've been watching what I consider a long time and 3/4ths of these connection you deem more important than Devon weren't even showcased. 

I have no problem with Chance coming back for CI. I think it'd be a great idea actually. However, if you're going to use Devon's past history against him to explain why he wouldn't want CI then wouldn't Chance's also apply. He eschewed the company to be a cop.   He wanted nothing to do with it saying it wasn't him. At this point, its all passe. History  doesn't preclude Chance nor Devon from taking an interest nor does it erase the history of Devon providing the funds to keep CI in the family. Devon and Chance having a rivalry over CI would be good soapy story.

You most certainly do see people connecting Devon to CI. He paid for it. That's recent story at the forefront of everyone's mind. 

• Members

No it's not, because it wasn't a story, not even close. It was a couple scenes, if you missed a day or so, or even if you went the restroom at the wrong time, you missed it. Those on twitter or message boards may know, but not the majority. And Devon didn't pay for it if it was a loan, he got his money back.

They were simply housekeeping. At first they were going to get rid of CI ( since it's an offscreen company anyway) by merging it with Newman, but writers changed and they found a quick way to transfer it to Jill instead

• Members

Hillary worked and thrived at Jabot. I'm not sure why they dropped the fact that Hillary has a first class brain and was moving up the ladder in corporate circles. It would've been a nice change of pace to see a young Black woman ascending corporate circles instead of entertaining being the defacto choice. IJS.

And once again, I never said Devon would be working at CI. He's an investor whose millions practically saved the company from falling into Victor's hands. Just like he bought Hillary a building to make her happy, it wouldn't be so far a stretch that he would call in favors at the company he helped save to secure her a place on the BOD and/or executive staff.

I don't see that happening at this time anyway. Jill's got no office that we can see, she only hangs out at Brash & Sassy these days (she's not even involved in Fenmore's) as if that's all CI has.

• Members

You're reaching. Viewers, in general, know this. The majority of the audience are day to day viewers. They saw it onscreen. 

You're creating fanfiction in your head. Devon was said to be a silent partner onscreen. And there has never been any mention of Devon being paid  back a farthing. 

• Members

CI has been an off screen company most of Y&R's run so it's a perfect company for supporting character to have, and explains their long absences. The only time CI has been shown was the Clear Springs story, and when Jill & Kay were mother/daughter. And they used Jabot like they are using Brash & Sassy to do it. Heck we don't even really know what CI does, and it doesn't matter because it's off screen.  Katherine wasn't shown working, just signing papers, or losing it control of it. So why Devon fans want it so bad is beyond me. If you want your character in the middle of the action they shouldn't be at CI.

Seriously Devon is Jill's partner? GMAB I don't think I'm the one reading fan fiction.

• Members

Cane questioned Devon wanting to go to Chicago for Valentines day 2015. In said conversation, he told Devon he  was a silent partner so no need to go. We all know it was a set up for  Devon and hilary getting on that plan for the confrontation and crash. The show can write or rewrite this how they see fit. But I'm only listing the facts to you. Unlike you who insist on telling us things happened that did not, i.e. Jill cares about Devon, loans were paid back. 

• Members

I don't think you're being snarky.  

For me, this isn't the same ol same ol with Hilary/Devon.  I think giving Devon a traumatic injury that leaves him with a temporary memory loss is an interesting spin.  Hence, she's not lying to him to cover her tracks, but to keep her husband's recovery on track.  But she's torn.   The ending today was classic soap.  Hilary ready to tell Devon what happened, but being interrupted by Devon expressing his desire to make every moment of theirs count.  How will Devon learn what happened?  What will Hilary do?  How long will the others remain quiet?  It's interesting.

Not to mention this is one of the only times we've seen Hilary wanting to do the right thing, but can't.  "old" Hilary wouldn't have had this internal conflict.

That's infinitely more interesting than Devon crashing the car, never loosing his memory and castigating Hilary as an "evil" person.  And Hilary groveling for forgiveness.  I don't want to see that.  That WOULD be the same ol same ol with these two.

That's why I am enjoying seeing how this will play out.

ICAM +1

• Members

@cattykittens For Y&R, good business stories are their sweet spot. They should at least look at making CI a viable company, especially if they want to make proper use of Jess Walton's talents. Her hanging around B&S seeing if Bill and Victoria are going to mate is ridiculous.

Y&R needs a B business storyline- their A business storyline (Fenmore's) is barely moving at this point. If Jill is going to be arguing about Hillary, put some purpose behind it. As it is now, what they're doing just makes Jill look like a meddling nag.

Instead of futzing with B&S, why didn't they revive The Men's Line?  They could have collaborated with Chelsea 2.0 to try to build a Men's capsule collection. There could be tons of storyline built around that and would make use of characters that are currently just 'dying on the vine'. 

For the past several years, I've been wondering why Y&R won't have their strongest female characters take the lead in storylines. It's a show that has majority female audience yet does very little to build on that.

Maybe if they want to get back some viewers that they lost, they may want to try something new but something that has an organic connection to the show's history.

Archived