Y&R: June 2015 Discussion Thread

• Members

Right. So all guns and shooting should be banned from Y&R, all TV, movies and video games? Funny how Hollywood is so 'liberal,' but not when it comes to dishing out the gore and violence. But let's crucify Y&R because they are WORST when it comes to gun violence in the media.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm around 2 months off Y&R and by he looks of things I'm right not to miss it at all. The stance remains that as long as as Pratt (by name and by nature, it seems) and Phelps are credited on the show, I won't watch.

As for alternatives, the pool of suitable candidates, the names are obvious. The pool of willing suitable candidates, I fear, is a lot smaller.

Factor in the apparent view the bosses of CBS and Sony have taken on what Y&R is and that pool is either much smaller than that or virtually empty.

I suspect the chance to have Kay Alden is all but gone. Sally Sussman Morina may still be available but I don't know how well people would take to her solo (I say this without first hand knowledge of Generations, her solo hand at the pen of Days of Our Lives or with a tad more of a view of her consulting gig at Y&R in 2005).

Shelley Altman has been mentioned before, and whilst I'm of the personal view that she actually held the show together better than when Jean Passanante joined it, I don't know if she has the chops to steer the ship. And this is with or without Natalie Minardi Slater (who may or may not have been the person Kay Alden had chosen to succeed her at Y&R before Bill Bell died and CBS/Sony dived in and also) who may not have been sufficiently guided to Head Write.

Of course I could be wrong and Slater's years seeing successes and mistakes could be all the teaching she has needed.

• Members

I'm not happy with the writing either.

But I'm also sick of hearing from people who quit watching YR. Just go away already. I don't mind complaints about anything and everything, but hearing from former watchers -- over and over -- that they've stopped watching is a colossal bore.

• Members

Well.... Ok. The opinion is fine (I respect it and the right to opinions in general) and I'm sure shared by a fair few people but the I'm assuming the instruction to go away is rhetorical, right?

Not watching is a temporary stance subject to the above conditions and having a longstanding attachment to something like I do to Y&R makes it difficult to have a clean break when its salvageable. And when change is a (remote-ish) possibility. That's usually the context of these.

I'll let you into a secret... If Jill Farren Phelps is re-signed (and as a consequence, Pratt is maintained) you'll not likely hear from me for a while because it means nothing will change. And there would be no point in posting about change.

And not before then. Here's hoping for a brighter future.

Thanking you for your time.

• Members

Ugh. WTF is the purpose of the Gabriel/Jack lie?!? And how is it everyone just seems to accept the lie without any proof?? So stupid.

What was the reason for Ashley's 3 day aneurism story?

Framing Sharon for the Cabin Patch murders served absolutely no purpose. It seems like everyone is collectively suffering from short term memory loss! Speaking of the Cabin Patch Kids, the murders themselves are only mentioned in passing. Has UpChuck dropped the SL?!?

The only thing remotely working is Lily. It seems to me this is an unforeseen benefit, because the stories that got the character to this point are [!@#$%^&*].

UpChuck has completely ruined all the promising stories that he inherited. Blah.

• Members

So is Avery losing it or is Joe sneakin into her place to !@#$%^&*] with her head. Hmm. Who cares. If Avery is coo coo for cocoa puffs, did the ONE threat from Joe push her over the edge? If she was so scared of him, why go with him to rehab? OTOH, if Joe is gaslighting her, why? Revenge? Apparently, he's a quick boy. Pounding Lily one minute in the club, then up and dressed to get to Avery to !@#$%^&*] with her for the second time in an hour. rolleyes.gif

I said before that nuLily works for me, but the catalyst for her infidelity is weak. A screen shot from a security camera? Really? dry.png Did we even see Lauren going to Cane's room at midnight or did this come out of nowhere?

Sage is sickening. This story can not go fast enough. Bring on the crazy bitch and let's get it over with.

I think they've dropped the cabin patch kids murder mystery. I thought this was one of UpChuck's main "umbrella" stories? He boasted about HK and MO in interviews, said he wanted to give them a good story and then drops it? WTF? Speaking of MO, her pairing with Stitch isn't doing her any favors. They are so awkward together.

If the show keeps improving in the ratings, I'm afraid Chuckie isn't going anywhere. Ugh.

• Members

Although there's a lot wrong with the pacing of the show, dropped storylines (Courtney and Austin murders), storylines that go nowhere (Ashley's aneurism), and ridiculouts storylines (Jack and his doppelganger) the new writing team has done some things that needed doing. Most notably breaking up couples that needed breaking up, like Avery and Dylan, Sharon and Nick, Cane and Lily and Lauren and Michael. Theyre also not giving too much Hillary and Devon which is awesome. I like Dylan and Sharon together and the scene today where Dylan told Avery not to call him anymore was good work from both actors.

Lily and Joe are hot! Lily is so beautiful lately, her clothes, her shoes, her hair, her make up all fantastic. And now that she's lost 200 lbs of dead weight she's so much more fun to watch. Dylan looked good today in his black shirt (I guess if he's never going to take it off it might as well look good) and Nick looks like he got a makeover - new haircut and his facial hair is neater. Nice. All in all I thought the show was pretty good today.

• Members

Meh ...Bitchy Michael does nothing for me, and Joe/Avery is just lame duck story since it was announced

Cane has been on borrowed time for years. Abby still needs an acting coach. At least we didn't have to endure another day of whining Bummer.

Sag is just grating and there is no chem between Sag and Nick. The character just wastes airtime.

Burton knocked up Sharon without even having to strip...I guess Dullan's got some expert swimmers in there! LOL

Ashley/Phyllis scenes weren't bad...the saving grace of the episode!

Archived