Y&R: New Head Writer

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No AW was already killed when Jean had gotten there and ATWT she did her best she was head writer for years. Jeans Y and R had some bright spots it was boring but inoffensive. Bill Bell would be rolling over Pratt a stunt Melrose writer coming to y and r. After he destroyed AMC in a way I never saw anyone did. This Stuart killing was the most destructive piece of garbage I have seen. I think Jean didn't get support from Jill. I didn't feel Jean felt very happy at Y and R. She loved GH would always post her happiness with it. Jill should have supported Jean a bit more.

• Members

I will say this and I don't wish to be cruel to my SON buddies. Yawny, you are an exception.

You obviously love YR, so when things go as bad as folks are speculating, I can't wait til someone posts daily every hour on the hour "YR IS A HOT BLAZING FIRE. Pratt is wonderful for the show and the network loves him. He won't be going anywhere...". NOTHING would give me greater pleasure :)

• Members

It's okay people can post what they want. I think Jean P got an unfair shake and if anything they could make her a co head writer at GH as well. Ron owes her alot for his career as Claire Labine recommended in 1996 to Jean to hire him at OLTL. Heck if Pratt surprises me I'll praise him. People can gush whatever they want. I believe he's a poor choice based on his experience. In fact on Soapcentral boards the fans are upset Jean is leaving saying the show is coming together. She wasn't given enough power to create her own vision. Honestly Josh Griffith and Jean would have been great co head writers. They could have been each others yin and yang.

• Members

Never said he was good at his job writing one! Just that he is a fan of soaps. I think that isn't opinion. He has spent plenty of time talking about his love for the genre both daytime and primetime, and his love of the Monty era GH in particular. It hasn't made him a better writer. Pratt clearly does not love the genre. He's never been interviewed gushing about soaps. That's all I was saying.

• Members

In a way, we (well, at least I) have to be grateful. Y&R was really, really lucky. When other soaps tended to have to go through various regimes and suffered sometimes insane changes in tone, style and quality, Y&R was lucky enough to have one vision, one style, minimally changing quality that varied from good to brilliant and a steady cast for thirty years (the new era in the early 80s notwithstanding since, by all accounts, it was a brilliant changing of the guard). You could tune into DAYS every few years and have no idea what it would be like, it had that many different identities. Same with most every other show, really. Not Y&R. It always had its identity.

And it would have always stayed that way had there not been a deliberate attempt to change it.

I guess I still held hope that they were trying to make it different but good. But I can't excuse the hiring of someone with Charles Pratt Jr.'s "achievements." I can't. This stinks of a desire to gut it.

Archived