The Young and the Restless SEPTEMBER 2014 Discussion

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have only watched the September 22 episode thus far but ITA. She has really made an effort to give Phyllis those touchstone mannerisms that make her Phyllis for the audience.

Christine is written as such a shrew. She was always a moralizing goody-two-shoes, but this naggy? This bitter? Nah. I almost wish we could have Mary Sue back who was always center of everybody's universe.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: MTS and Doug Davidson have the BEST chemistry. The best! Despite the dialogue doing its best to be as generic and as boring and as obvious as possible, MTS and DD downplay the words and up-play the unsaid and it really works.

As for much of the rest of the cast -- they are like the dialogue. Sadly. I know Chuck Pratt will be a sea change from this, but I'm not sure for the better...

• Members

Yeah, I see their chemistry too. I still lament TPTB severing Jill's ties with the Fosters. I would've been fine with them being cousins or something and the story being about Lauren's discovery that she was connected to the Fosters on her Mother's side or something. Her Mother seemed to give off a very snooty, patrician vibe so it might have been interesting if Lauren discovered that her Mother had hid her working class roots to chase Neil Fenmore.

Or something like that.

Lauren's parent's histories are a mystery so something like this could've worked. And we could still enjoy the familial bond between Lauren and Jill (instead of Sis, it could be Cuz, same thing) without stripping away Jill's connection with the Fosters.

• Members

This is such an awesome, OBVIOUS sl idea, I am stunned nobody on the writing team at the time came up with it. It is so logical, it is flawless! Of course the aloof, snobby, estranged mother Joanna Fenmore had an affair with a hot Foster man from the wrong side of the tracks! Of course it was the one man she could nevver have, because he was deeply in love with his wife, Liz. Maybe that's why Joanna abandoned Lauren to her husband Neil -- because the baby was a reminder of a man she loved once but who didn't fully love her back.

And then Lauren and Jill being sisters would have felt SO right. Jill resentful that Lauren grew up in the lap of luxury, Lauren resentful that Jill had a mother who loved and cared about her, etc.

• Members

I groaned audibly when Dr. Peter Burns showed up at Chelsea's door in a backwards cap and a tank top looking like he was in the road show of White Men Can't Jump. Something died inside me. And he's delivering lines by sheer rote. Please God, let it stop.

• Members

Hilary and Devon are really crappy people. It's repulsive to me that they stand right in front of blind Neil making googly eyes at each other. Their behavior is kiiling Hilary for me and confirming that Devon is a little [!@#$%^&*]. Back in the day didn't Devon have sex with another one of Neil's girlfriends? What's with him? Neil's never been anything but kind to him and this is how he gets treated. Ugh.

• Members

Give themselves away as what? The last minute connection of Devon to Katherine is one thing, but having Devon deemed more important than the rest of her long time historical family (blood ties or not) , by giving him the lions share of her fortune is as ridiculous as Chancellor Industries being left to Victor. IMO it's an absurd ending to Katherine's life and is relevant to any convo about Devon.

Instead of Devon being added to the larger Chancellor clan( the family we watched Kay develop with for DECADES), what's left Katherine's 40 year onscreen life disappears into the Newman and Winters family.

Chancellor family members, Chancellor Industries, Chancellor money, Chancellor men, and anything Kay related through the years usually involved Jill. The extended long story that began in 1st year of Y&R was between Jill & Katherine, and should of concluded with something between the two of them. By not tying Devon to Jill and the extended family (with CI stock options or something) they end Chancellor like it never existed, and by extension Jill.

I only watch Y&R when I notice Jill being mentioned on twitter, but it breaks my heart to watch her muttering about dresses in a boutique, or being involved in some low level con job. Her ( and Kay's) long story has ended without an ending. Never in a million years would I have thought that there would be NO DRAMA after Katherine Chancellor death. NONE! Real life families have more going on. I should cut ties completely but I keep hoping SOMEONE will notice and at least write a believable and satisfying conclusion.

Archived