The Young and the Restless SEPTEMBER 2014 Discussion

• Members

That's cause the whole family isn't rich and it is just Devon. It's one thing for a father to set up trust funds for kids and employ them at his billionaire dollar company like Victor, and John. That's not the dynamic of the Winters family. Neil should have been allowed to own his own company years ago then we would see some of this.

Do I wish writers would bring on actual Chancellors? Yes. Do I wish that they would be allowed to be built up as a family around Jill? Yes. But like you said, what does any of that have to do with Devon getting an inheritance and begrudging it to him. If Jill had been given CI or 1/4th of Kay's estate, do you actually think anything would be done with that either? I surely don't. I get being upset with how the story of her death was handled. But using Devon as the focal point for all that was wrong with it and how it was handled damn sure is irrational.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Viewers loved Angell's Leslie & hoped she would be paired with Adam or Michael, they groaned when she had that random almost fling with Neil while he was still involved with Sofia & Malcolm but viewers continued to hope Angell's talent would justify good writing for Leslie.

Instead she remained a background character until Y&R needed a pairing for Neil after quickly getting rid of Sofia & Harmony.

Viewers lost interest for 3 reasons

1. They consider Neil boring

2. They knew they would be paired because they were the only black characters on canvas

3. They knew they were going to be treated like tokens by the writers

There's a reason for that & it's NOT irrational. ph34r.png

• Members

From your lips....that's a great idea. I loved the Devon reveal and the beginnings of the relationship with Kay. Bryton grew as an actor when he was around JC & SN. He had spent so many years being brought down by KSJ's 'style.' However, it was completely irrational that Brock, Jill, Mac, Phillip, Chance, Ester and even Chloe didn't get significant shares. Heck, even Amber and Kevin were closer to Mrs. C than Devon. Made zero sense. They still could've made Devon richer than most, had him invest his share of the inheritance in something that hit big, if they wanted to make him a billionaire. It just rang so false to Kay and everything we knew about her and her relationships with these other people.

• Members

Shhhh!

It's time to whine (again) about why Katherine's blood relatives WHO AREN'T ON THE CANVAS didn't get her money when the ONE blood member of hers that IS on the canvas (who just happens to be BLACK) & was largely cheated of having a more significant relationship with her (through no fault of his own) did.

• Members

Say what? This has nothing to do with Devon being black. In fact, I thought that was the best part of the "reveal" - we finally started to have better integration of characters (no pun intended) - moving Devon into the Chancellor orbit was wonderful - it opened up so many possibilities. Too bad the writers screwed it up even though they had wonderful actors like SN and DM (ugh, such a waste of a brilliant actress). My understanding was that Devon got the $2.45 B. Is that right or was there something that said a split of that? If so, that is NOT something Katherine would do. She would treat Devon as an equal to her other loved ones - certainly not less because of time because Kay was a generous person and she loved Devon. Regardless of who's on canvas she would not cut out Brock, Mac and, probably not Philip or Chance. Jill, of course, could go either way - so I don't quibble. Esther - I think she'd leave her something significant considering she was her de facto partner for 30 years.

• Members

It doesn't?

Then why the constant whining about who received the bulk of Katherine's estate?

It would be different if the rest of The Chancellors (of which Devon ALSO is) were on the canvas but they're not & the writers clearly have no use for Jill so it wouldn't behoove her (in addition to being wildly out of character for Katherine) to be the primary beneficiary of Katherine's estate.

In fact the more disconcerting part of Katherine's estate is Victor (of all people) now owning Chancellor which largely is ignored by most fans in order to whine about Devon's rightful inheritance.

Also Katherine didn't & wouldn't cut her OTHER existing relatives out of her will. She let everyone she bequeathed much of her assets to in her previous will (when she was FIRST thought to have died in 2008) keep them upon her return to Genoa City.

So it isn't like Katherine randomly decided to reward Devon AT THE EXPENSE OF EVERYONE ELSE as certain viewers like to act whenever Devon is the recipient of even the SLIGHTEST bit of favorable writing.

What Katherine should have done was leave Esther her half of the mansion so Esther could invite The Winters to move out of their BROWN condo & into her half of the mansion where Chloe (ever the golddigger) would try to marry newly rich Devon while he worked with Jill to bring Chancellor Industries into the 21st century.

That way The Winters would be FINALLY fully integrated into the canvas, Jill & Esther would be relevant again, the Chancellor family would receive an opportunity for much needed revitalization & the potential for ORGANIC conflict would remain without having to write existing characters out of character to create story for a CORE family.

• Members

Kay gave equal parts to Murphy (1/4th), Devon (1/4th which included Tucker's portion), 1/4th ( split with Brock, Mac, Chance, Philip), 1/4th (I can't remember but I think charity).

No one was excluded. They were not cut out. I don't understand where this idea that they were even got started other than some people being too damn simple to grasp simple arithmetic.

• Members
Constant whining about Devon and nary a mention of Victor is apart of the problem I have with these "Devon resenters". It's like Newmans and Abbots deserve anything they get while Devon doesn't. Reminds me of the constant complaints about how Devin doesn't "pay it forward" or do anything for anyone yet no complaints about Nick, Victoria, and Abby paying it forward with all that money they took from Victor. They are allowed to be wealthy yet Devon must do something good to prove he is worthy of being wealthy. There is a quadruple standard. And some folks will even admit that they feel he should do more yet can never explain why.

Esther was left something. An income of 200K a year contingent upon her keeping the mansion in top shape.

• Members

It's like some of you *want* everyone to be racist. People complain that Devon got more than everyone else considering Katherine hardly knew him. It was a plot point that was OOC. Katherine would've taken equal care of all her relatives. Devon getting more than everyone was ridiculous and had nothing to do with his skin color. He could have been white or purple for that matter and it still would've been a stupid wtf storyline. Jesus Christ.

Archived