The Young and the Restless SEPTEMBER 2014 Discussion

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't really know much about this Pratt guy, but now that you mentioned it, I do wonder what his sensibilities are towards longtime/older characters like Jill. I guess we'll soon find out.

A decent writer could have sussed out some pretty good storylines for Nina, and Tracy, for that matter but there doesn't seem to be any desire to do so.

• Members

So Katherine doesn't equate money with love but left Devon more money because he was cheated out of a deeper relationship with her? That sounds like equating money with love. I know Katherine, and money and power were important to her. She used her money and power to help, and sometimes manipulate, those she loved, and hurt those she hated. Kay wouldn't want to hurt Brock, Chance. Phillip2 Mac, and her never mentioned great granddaughter Dylan (another HUGE flaw).

-Why should I care about Devon's birth family? Are you talking about Tucker, Yolanda/Harmony and Judge Arthur Hendricks? I follow the Chancellor clan as they have developed on-screen since the start of the show, if he's not involved with Jill, Kay, Brock etc. I don't care. It's the same reason I didn't care about Tucker. Tucker was blood related but not story-related to the rest of them. Tucker was really never part of the Chancellor clan; he didn't know any them, he spent most of his time with others (Ashley, Jack, Diane,Sophia, Harmony, and then Genevieve and Sharon.)

-I don't care about the Newmans and rarely comment about them unless it's something to do with the Chancellors, so I don't care about anything Abby. Why should I have to comment about her in order to comment about Devon?

- If Murphy was on the show I might be commenting on his actions and what he is doing with his money. As far as his share, yes it's too much, but spouses are often treated differently in a Will. Whereas children most often get equal shares unless there is good reason to leave someone out or leave them less. We watched years of Phillip2/Kay and Mac/Kay interactions: she wouldn't have left them less.

...............Not to mention the small fact Kay MURDERED Phillip Chancellor 2. Kay was well aware of what she did, and since we are supposed to believe she became a better person in her later years, it would have made sense to make amends to both Phillip 3 and Chance, and yes even Jill.

I don't think anything I'm saying has been debunked it's just being painted as racist. I even have "buddies" now? Seriously? Who are they? I'm not going to stop criticizing the story around the family I've followed for 40 years simply because a black character was added to it. Making Devon the wealthiest and sole representative of the Chancellors on the show isn't an asset so I don't really understand the happiness about it. He can't have his "rightful place" among the Chancellors if there aren't any. Until Tucker, having Kay's blood wasn't all that important when it came to Chancellors. Jill running Chancellor Industries, and equal shares to everyone else would have provided more story, conflict, and a continuation of the family on the show.

• Members

And you want that resentment to be because Devon is black, because that means the poster is racist, and therefore wrong, and a horrible person?

It may be all about Devon to you but it's not to me.For me it has to do with Kay and Jill and the development of the story and the people in her life for the 40 years she was on the show. I would feel the exact same way if any character was substituted for Devon.....even Cane. And Cane had a running relationship with Jill & Kay.The way the Will was done killed the family and Devon represents that on screen so I resent him. ( Not Bryton)

Who is caring about Devon having a romantic pairing? Not me. Some viewers didn't like Devon long before he was related to Kay.

• Members

I think you should go back and read my posts. I never listed any reason for the irrational hate for Devon. This is a common TV viewer reaction and their are many reasons for it. One of the most well known is the wife on Breaking Bad. Now if you want to assume that I am implying that race is the reason for Devon being the recipient over the will then all I can tell you is that a hit dog will holler.

The way the will was done did not kill the Chancellors. How could it when it had been years since any had been on the show. You said yourself that the recasting of Tucker and how he was played destroyed the intention of rebuilding them. So years after the fact, Devon getting some of Kay's estate can't be it. I would agree with you if the mansion had been full of Chancellors and their relations at the time of Kay ' s death and they were ushered offscreen because of the will. But that didn't happen. I also think that if their were other family members onscreen then the will and follow on story would have been totally different. But that wasn't the case cause TPTB and writers haven't bern interested in building them. This is why I label it irrational hate.

I care that Devon has a romantic pairing. Yes, I sure do. There are people that disliked him and there are people that liked him. Not sure what these statements are getting at.

I could have taken that too. Lol. But I don't see how Nina disapproving of Chance marrying chloe would further Jill and Nina. Seems to me they both would have agreed there.

• Members

I agree with some of your points Cattykittens, but I feel like the Chancellors were screwed by bigger problems than who got Kay's money. Namely, that they never were able to give her viable heirs. Mac was a good idea, that was sabotaged by bad recasts. Tucker, I don't even know what to say there. The character never took off. Chance also failed, although I do think they should recast that role and try again. Chloe was an honorary Chancellor, but that was another character that never jelled for some reason. I suppose the writers just didn't know what to do with her.

Maybe the company should have gone to Jill, but I can see Kay not going in that direction for a lot of reasons. Maybe she loved Jill in the end, but I don't think she would have felt the need to give her the bulk of her estate or even a large portion. Not after all the years of resentment.

Adding Devon to the family always felt like a strange stretch, but Y&R has had a lot of ridiculous plot twists over the last few years, so I could have rolled with that. It might have been ok, if JC had lived a couple more years to play the story.

• Members

I don't even think JCs sudden death affected that story. Writers had ample opportunity to give Kay and Devon a deeper relationship but didn't play it. I think that connection was more about Tucker and giving him more connections on canvas and more people in his orbit. JMO.

• Members

The difference being that Devon was the only one of her immediate relatives who wasn't independently wealthy & had an interest in business.

Had Mackenzie or Chance shown an interest in business she would've more than likely left them with an increased share of her wealth.

She DIDN'T hurt them.

She left them money too. Just not enough money to your liking.

And for the record Katherine didn't leave Billy (who she considered family) anything either.

Devon's birth family are the Hendricks & Shepherds through his bio father, the Winters through his adopted parents & the Hamiltons through his mother

Whether Tucker spent as much time with Katherine as you'd like he was & is still a BLOOD child of Katherine & it's not Tucker's fault he didn't know his relatives any more than Devon does now (that's on the writers).

It's also not like all of those family members of Katherine's you mentioned were blood Chancellors themselves.

Jill (who hated Katherine for far longer than she loved her) & Nina (who hated Katherine almost as much as Jill for years) were Chancellors by marriage & Brock (absent from Katherine's life for LONG periods of time) & Mackenzie (as invented a relation to Katherine as Devon) are REYNOLDS.

The ONLY blood Chancellors are Phillip & Chance.

Both of whom have happily accepted their windfalls & haven't disputed Devon's inheritance.

Funny how characters in similar situations on the same show are conveniently held to different standards.

When their similarities are pointed out suddenly the goal posts change. Again. :lol:

Brock, Mackenzie, Chance & Phillip aren't on the show yet you seem happy enough to comment on their behalf.

So why aren't you criticizing Murphy for what he received (especially since he was married to Katherine for a relatively short time & had about as much interaction with the rest of Katherine's family save maybe Jill as Tucker & Devon)?

Now you're just grasping at straws.

He's got the money. You mad. End of Story. :lol:

Archived