The Young and the Restless SEPTEMBER 2014 Discussion

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mishal IS a find who can act but so is Angell Conwell.

That hasn't stopped Angell from being backburnered (more than she already was) as soon as she stopped dating Neil.

It would be different if the overarching "Neil Is Having A Mid Life Crisis" story was the story Y&R wanted to tell but it isn't.

In this story Neil is just a temporary impediment in the story Y&R is really trying to sell (Dev/Hil) which cheapens everyone involved.

Neil & Hilary have never had any clear motivations for wanting to get married other than the writers needed something to do with them once they dropped Neil & Leslie (whose relationship existed for similar reasons) & it makes Devon (who idolizes Neil) look like a opportunistic lech when he should be the character the audience is rooting for.

• Members

Phyllis was a 10 year vet with her own loyal fan base and a relationship with the audience when she slept with Nick. Hilary doesnt have that. And she owed Sharon nothing. Devon, on the other hand, owes Neil his life to a certain extent. I don't think this is comparable at all. However, trying to kill Christine and Paul most def is worse. Lol.

• Members
Agreed about Angell. But Leslie wasn't as well received as Hilary as far as I can see. Either way, Mishael has something that leslie didn't. Bryton, an alternative to KSJ. If Devon and Hilary are what the writes are selling then why back burn Hilary and get rid of her when Hilary actually gets away from Neil to be with Devon. It would seem to me that they would then write for Hilary and Devon.

• Members

Either way, Phyllis started off doing very bad things before she had a fan base and survived as a character. How morally good characters are doesn't decide, if fans will take to them. There are a ton of examples in soaps where people root for the "bad guys". It's not like Hilary came on acting like a saint in the first place, but she messed with Lily and a certain segment of the audience (including me) liked that.

• Members

Leslie was very well received until it became clear she was going to be paired with Neil permanently

Even with that pairing (which most fans considered boring) & a sizable flop of a back story Angell & Leslie remained well liked until Y&R ended her relationship with Neil to pair her with Barton (now she's a tertiary character at best).

Mishal does have Bryton as an alternative but Y&R's never been serious about treating Bryton or Devon as a leading man. This is a character that was related to & inherited almost the entire fortune of one of the show's beloved institutions & still doesn't receive half the airtime of his white co-stars DESPITE being played by an Emmy winning veteran soap star.

Y&R had plenty of opportunities to write for Devon & Roxy yet they ditched her as soon as they needed somewhere to park Mishal after her flirtation with Jack.

Once she divorces Neil she'll be lucky if Y&R marries her to Devon which will at least justify Mishal's continued employment (even if all she will do at that point is be a glorified extra in Winters family scenes).

• Members

A lot of fans were thrilled to have someone squash the sanctimonious BUG! It's funny that it wasn't until the past few years that I've enjoyed Christine - mainly because they took away the halo. Oh, and no one forced Nick to cheat on his wife. Why is it always the "other" woman's fault when the married man is the one with the commitment?

• Members

I hope Phyllis knocks Sharon off her ass and while she's at she can take that twit Kelly and make mince meat out of her. Gina is playing this role with ZERO camp. She's saying so much without saying a word. She's going to be a much darker Phyllis with vulnerability. CBS obviously made the right casting move.

• Members

And it just seems like irrational love of Devon for anyone to think the end of Kay's life made any sense. I'd make as much sense as Chloe being found to be Victor's daughter 1 year before he died, they have a handful of scenes together, and when he dies he leaves Chloe the bulk of his fortune and the rest to split among the rest of the Newman family. Newman Enterprises is given to Michael for his life long devotion and friendship. After the will is read, life goes back to the way it was, no one's onscreen life really changes, it's as if nothing happened. I'm sure Chloe & Michael fans would be ecstatic, but it would be ridiculous.

As far as I know Bryton has always been on contract and his screen-time doesn't have anything to do with Jess Waltons. What he does have is the trappings of Jill's lifelong story, but they aren't even using it for Devon. Devon didn't have one thought about Kay at the memorial, it was all about Hillary 100%, he's simply Kay's $ recipient. He has nothing to do with Kay's family, friends, history, or life interests. so he doesn't carry forward anything of her .And you'd never know he was a new billionaire, he's as ho-hum about his wealth as Abby. The way it's written Devon may as well have won the lottery because unlike the other family's his wealth doesn't carry a family with it. Lily, Neil and his poor little sister haven't been given any $$$ like the Abbott or Newman kids/siblings.Instead of a whole family being wealthy it's just Devon, and he doesn't even seem wealthy.

• Members

I agree that folks seem to enjoy Hilary messing with Lily. Very interesting, that. Another conversation for another day though. Back to Phyllis. She came on, did her dirt, and PAID for it by losing her child. She was off screen for a while and when she came back was written as the person to root for with Diane as her antagonist. Hilary has paid for nothing. And hasn't been written as the one to root for with years of story before doing something else. There is still a difference to me.

• Members

I can't agree that Leslie was as well liked or received as Hilary. I haven't seen as much interest (online, at least) surrounding an AA character as i saw with Hilary since Drucilla died.

So, you think Hilary will not get any story because she is not paired with Neil? And that Neil is the only Winters male TPTB will write for? And that TPTB have no real intetest in having Bryton as a romantic lead or full character? You know what, past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. So I am hard pressed to disagree with any of this.

Why is it that viewers lost interest in Leslie once she was paired with Neil? What's the reason for this?

Archived